Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Why do gaming publishers avoid female heroes?

  1. #1

    Default Why do gaming publishers avoid female heroes?

    Why do publishers avoid female heroes?

    Remember Me dev confused by publisher decisions

  2. #2

    Default

    Female , male protagonist, who gives a damn as long as the game is good. If the game is good, it's going to sell. These publishers need to pull their heads out of their asses.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post
    The Creepy Cull of Female Protagonists

    The game industry doesn't want female characters. That is allegedly the message publishers have been sending to developers.
    As female characters get hidden from the front covers of games and projects with leading ladies are passed over in favor of more Gun Bros being bros with their guns, it might be time to admit, even if you don't want to, that videogames has some issues with women. Like, a lot of them. Creepy ones, in fact.
    Follow Jim on twitter for a chance to win Twitter updates from Jim: @JimSterling
    New episodes of Jimquisition appear every Monday, only at The Escapist.


    ...All my Shepards was fem. Heck a lot better than the male Shepards *erm*
    .............
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

  4. #4

    Default

    Devs Had to Demand Female Focus Testers for The Last of Us

    Naughty Dog refused to let The Last of Us be focus tested on only male players.

    With the role of women in videogames coming under increasing scrutiny in recent years, it is more important now than ever before for developers to reexamine the perceived audience of their games. But while there are encouraging signs that the tide is beginning to turn - a strong-willed, sensibly rendered version of Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot, for example - there are other aspects to game development that are less visible, and thus remain stuck in the past. As we learned from an interview with Naughty Dog's Neil Druckman - which we'll be publishing more of shortly - the idea of focus testing remains firmly rooted in a "girls don't play videogames" mindset.

    According to Druckman, when the unnamed research firm that was handling the focus groups for The Last of Us began their work, the idea of polling female gamers was nowhere on the table. "Another aspect that influences how a game is promoted is focus-testing. Players are rounded up and are asked to view materials and answer some quantitative and qualitative questions about it," he explains. "My big surprise during this process is that the research group wasn't planning on focus-testing female gamers - it's something we had to specifically request. I hope this is a relic of the past that will soon go away."

    Yes, you read that correctly. The research firm that was gathering opinions of a game about a man, Joel, and a teenage girl, Ellie, wasn't planning on seeing how actual living, breathing female gamers felt.

    With this type of bias in place, it should come as no surprise that the marketing firm eventually decided that Ellie should be moved to the back of the box art. However, thanks to Naughty Dog, that advice fell on deaf ears and the company refused to put Ellie anywhere other than on the front where she belongs.

    Kudos to Naughty Dog for standing strong for gamer equality, and refusing to let antiquated systems determine what is best for a game that is clearly designed to be thrilling for everyone, regardless of their sex.

    ~Escapistmagazine
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

  5. #5

    Default

    Unless forced to by the game; 99% of the time, I will play as a female character, IDKW. The other 1%, is me playing as a male character for 5-10 mins, then stop, and start over using a female character. This has been so since I 1st played Oblivion. (My 1st RPG).


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Unless forced to by the game; 99% of the time, I will play as a female character, IDKW. The other 1%, is me playing as a male character for 5-10 mins, then stop, and start over using a female character. This has been so since I 1st played Oblivion. (My 1st RPG).
    +1
    I started playing with female characters when I started playing Diablo II way back. Recently though, I do play male characters more often.

  7. #7

    Default

    I also play mostly female characters. Have been doing that since Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind. The only times I don't play a female character is when the option isn't available or the specific class doesn't have a female character, like Diablo 2. Or if there is a specific cutscene/quest/whatever that I want to see and that is only available to male characters, although in these cases I will play initially as female and replay as male.

    I sometimes joke about looking at a decent ass when playing a game for hours, but overall, I just enjoy the games more if I play a female character. Have fun with the psychology on that part.

  8. #8

    Default

    Comment section throwing out some gems again.

    No offence but if the game character was a gay man I would not even think of playing it. On the other hand, I love a game with a female lead. Whenever there is a choice I always choose the female character.
    Same guy when called out on it:

    No its not the same at all. I have no hate for gays, I just don't want to pretend that I am one in a game.

    What is wrong with that? Am I not free to like and dislike what I want. Do you want to force your ways unto me like religion has done to so many people through the years?
    He doesn't want to 'pretend' to be a gay guy in games, but he has no issue with 'pretending' he's female, and actually prefers to play female characters?

    Lol.

  9. #9

    Default

    generally speakign if i have to roll a char i will role a male char but i mean i have like 3 or so xbox games with characters at this point in time and all of those are female :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    ja they must watch it just now i decide to beat them with my empty Ricci Louw bottle

  10. #10

    Default

    If it's a game where I must choose I will generally go with a male character simply because I am male. I don't feel that needs any further justification. If a game has a female character though I don't mind at all playing that.

Similar Threads

  1. Movies - What to See and What to Avoid
    By Xero in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 08:34 PM
  2. Sony wants to avoid console ports to Vita
    By Jeremy in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  3. Favourite gaming heroes of 2012 (so far)
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-08-2012, 09:31 AM
  4. Heroes of Newerth gives gamers all heroes free of charge
    By Jeremy in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-07-2012, 11:20 AM
  5. Avoid EA forums or risk losing your games!
    By MOnk in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 17-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •