Thread: Which ISP offers best latency with least downtime?

Default Which ISP offers best latency with least downtime?

Hey chaps,

I have up until now been sharing an uncapped adsl line with a household next door. This worked fine in the beginning but has now become a constant pain in my a##///!!!

My pings in bf will sometimes spike to 1500 (no jokes!) and download speed will drop to 0.01kb/s!! I cannot do do any updates on my ps3 since the connection constantly drops (ok i hardly use the ps3 but I do like to keep everything up to date) and to make things worse I cannot fight with telkom about a line that is not mine. Not that I think the line is the problem..

Lag? what lag? I cant even move!! The line becomes so dead. Now I KNOW that they skye etc next door and I cannot ask them to stop using the line while I am gaming.

So I have cancelled our agreement and have applied for my own ADSL line. Should be active by weekend since I already have a phone line at home.

So which ISP?

I have long had an afrihost capped account for R29 but since having uncapped I do not want to return to capped. Especially when EA/DICE release their huge DLC and for when I wish to download a purchased game.

I have always been pleased with afrihost but they have lately had issues. Many of my mates are on mweb and they very happy. I also do NOT wish to sign with Telkom.

I have noticed that some players have a ping of less than 20 while online. And some even below 10. What ISP are these ppl using? Are they sitting right next to the server?

I have also heard that Internet Solutions have great latency. Can anyone comment on this for a private home user?

Your thoughts??

Thanks in advance..

I would go OpenWeb. I got the best latency and download speeds from them.
    (Dell XPS L502X) Intel Core i7 2630QM | 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Nvidia GT 525M 1GB DDR3 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 15.6" WLED HD Display | 500GB 7200RPM HDD
    KoeksWorld

MWEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all...

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

Im on a capped line with Axxess. They keep me updated via sms on my usage and if Im running out I log into their site and buy more @R19 a gig, my account gets updated instantly. My ping is always in the 40's region on local servers. On intl. servers I sit between 150 and 180.
    I have a 2mb line with them and they deal with telkom on my behalf which is pretty flippin helpful.

Unshaped uncapped is a bit too pricey and shaped uncapped sucks(sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by StangV2.0 View Post
    Hey chaps,

I have up until now been sharing an uncapped adsl line with a household next door. This worked fine in the beginning but has now become a constant pain in my a##///!!!

My pings in bf will sometimes spike to 1500 (no jokes!) and download speed will drop to 0.01kb/s!! I cannot do do any updates on my ps3 since the connection constantly drops (ok i hardly use the ps3 but I do like to keep everything up to date) and to make things worse I cannot fight with telkom about a line that is not mine. Not that I think the line is the problem..

Lag? what lag? I cant even move!! The line becomes so dead. Now I KNOW that they skye etc next door and I cannot ask them to stop using the line while I am gaming.

So I have cancelled our agreement and have applied for my own ADSL line. Should be active by weekend since I already have a phone line at home.

So which ISP?

I have long had an afrihost capped account for R29 but since having uncapped I do not want to return to capped. Especially when EA/DICE release their huge DLC and for when I wish to download a purchased game.

I have always been pleased with afrihost but they have lately had issues. Many of my mates are on mweb and they very happy. I also do NOT wish to sign with Telkom.

I have noticed that some players have a ping of less than 20 while online. And some even below 10. What ISP are these ppl using? Are they sitting right next to the server?

I have also heard that Internet Solutions have great latency. Can anyone comment on this for a private home user?

Your thoughts??

Thanks in advance..
    First it sounds like the person you are sharing it with is downloading a lot, hence the ping spikes.
    Secondly I would go Mweb have had them for 2 years and never had a problem.

Thanks chaps.

I read a few articles from the forum and I signed up with mweb. Shot..