Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Blasphemous" Bioshock Infinite: upset gamer gets refund

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Jeremy and I took a look at the PEGI rating and they do have provision for highlighting discrimination, which includes religious and racial stuff - something that Infinite has in spades.

Strangely this notation didn't make it onto their rating for the game: http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global...shock+infinite

We have mailed them to find out why, and what may have gone wrong there.
    Awesomeballs. Investigative journalism at its best. Shot James!

I actually wrote a nice, long comment for the other "usual bunch" on here, but I realized that if you cannot understand the difference between being exposed to violence and having your religious beliefs mocked, then it's pointless to reply. But then again, the comments on here are the same as ice-skaters making comments on why our national cricket team needs a new coach. It really ends up not mattering at all. If you are not religious yourself, you have zero weigh-in on the matter to start with. In fact, I don't think there's any religious person on here (woah, that narrowed it down) that would not approve of Valve's behavior. Show me one that doesn't, and I'll show you a liar.
    Last edited by Neo; 18-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Wtf Neo how is a baptism scene mocking beliefs.

You would think God was big enough not to need people to rush to his aid all the time.

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I believe in God. I believe in Jesus Christ dying for our sins. I believe that God is the ultimate badass who also happens to be totally awesome!

I can tell you there is nothing offensive about the baptism scene. Valve should have told that guy to get stuffed but they are obviously not a bunch of charismatic money whoring ministers, they clearly belong to a bikers church because those guys are great!

Yes, I am a christian who has a problem with a lot of these goody two-shoes christians. PUNK RAWK!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Awesomeballs. Investigative journalism at its best. Shot James!

I actually wrote a nice, long comment for the other "usual bunch" on here, but I realized that if you cannot understand the difference between being exposed to violence and having your religious beliefs mocked, then it's pointless to reply. But then again, the comments on here are the same as ice-skaters making comments on why our national cricket team needs a new coach. It really ends up not mattering at all. If you are not religious yourself, you have zero weigh-in on the matter to start with. In fact, I don't think there's any religious person on here (woah, that narrowed it down) that would not approve of Valve's behavior. Show me one that doesn't, and I'll show you a liar.
    Neo. If you weren't just a rude arsehole half the time, people would take you a bit more seriously. Spewing insults where no-one deserves them is childish, and nothing else.

Firstly, where did you gather the opinion that anyone's religious beliefs were mocked? I thought you did not play the game?

Secondly, presuming to tell people who does and does not have the right to an opinion on a matter is kind of oppressive and offensive on a whole different level. You don't get to decide that. You don't get to tell others that. That is not yours.

Third, I do approve of Valve's behaviour, but not for the reasons you think; they had a customer with a complaint, that made a fair case about his opinion. They were in a position to treat the clients wishes with respect, while also fulfilling their duty as a company in making sure that they're not being taken for a ride (and trust me, they would not just do this willy nilly).

Finally, I'm a religious man loving Bioshock. The baptism scene was powerful and perturbing and disturbing, as were many others I've encountered in my hour or so of play, but it never mocks. It treats the subject matter with absolute respect. The entire point of these scene were to show how detached this society is. How their own religion and political belief system has been skewed and broken and mutated, and the while the game draws parallels to all religions, it very, very clearly separates the in game happenings as something disgusting.

Also, we don't have a national ice skating team, much less a coach. I'll weigh in where I like, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I actually wrote a nice, long comment for the other "usual bunch" on here, but I realized that if you cannot understand the difference between being exposed to violence and having your religious beliefs mocked,
    Neo, have you actually played the game or are you just speaking out of pure ignorance again? Please, go play the game and then tell me where the game mocks your religious beliefs. Please, I implore you, because if it happens in the game I certainly missed it.

Once again you prove why your rep is in the red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I'd just like to point out the error in the argument stating it's hypocritical to have a problem with blasphemy but tolerate killing in games. Violence is simulated, pretend, not real. You can't have pretend, or simulated blasphemy. If you shoot a pixel at a pixel you didn't hurt or kill anyone, but if you blaspheme in a game you most certainly have blasphemed for real (not necessarily the player, though...)

Ultimately, what's more important is what you make of it and the objective of the message. In this case, I believe the blasphemy is just a cheap story tool that the writers used to set the scene. But... it's not necessary to freak out about this sort of thing because A) your reaction isn't doing anyone any good, and you're not making the world a better place by freaking out, and B) you're just making yourself look like a nutcase. Religious people are looked down on enough already, no need to make it worse.

Still, it was a good move by Valve to refund the user. I wish businesses in SA would provide this kind of service and show such a strong customer focus they may have lost a sale but they kept a customer happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Bear View Post
    I'd just like to point out the error in the argument stating it's hypocritical to have a problem with blasphemy but tolerate killing in games. Violence is simulated, pretend, not real. You can't have pretend, or simulated blasphemy. If you shoot a pixel at a pixel you didn't hurt or kill anyone, but if you blaspheme in a game you most certainly have blasphemed for real (not necessarily the player, though...)

Ultimately, what's more important is what you make of it and the objective of the message. In this case, I believe the blasphemy is just a cheap story tool that the writers used to set the scene. But... it's not necessary to freak out about this sort of thing because A) your reaction isn't doing anyone any good, and you're not making the world a better place by freaking out, and B) you're just making yourself look like a nutcase. Religious people are looked down on enough already, no need to make it worse.

Still, it was a good move by Valve to refund the user. I wish businesses in SA would provide this kind of service and show such a strong customer focus they may have lost a sale but they kept a customer happy
    Sorry but extremists are looked down upon, try not to generalise since it makes everyone look bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I, like the gamer mentioned above, am a devoted Christian. Furthermore, I am actually a Sunday school teacher! I will give my opinion here like I do with the Sunday school kids (all in grade 12). I have played the game, and I must say, that scene did make me a bit uncomfortable. I decided to play the game, seeing that as an important part of the story (after playing the scene I read up on the internet on the scene). At the end of the day it makes sense to put the scene in, but I wouldn't say it was a crucial part (IMO). I just wondered afterwards if the game couldn't have been just as great without the bombardment of religious images. I agree with one of the other comments, which is the same as what I tell the Sunday school kids. Each one of us know what we are comfortable with, as a Christian or non-Christian. Each one of us will draw the line based on our upbringing, morals and religion. I can not tell you where to draw line, and you can not tell me where to draw line, that is your own issue, and it is issue which I decide through thought, prayer and discussions like these. This game was on the edge of that line for me, finished it, will not play it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

But... it's fiction. The protagonist (READ: not you) is being baptized under a fictional religion. Is it really that bad watching something fictional happen in a fictional setting?

Either way, if you think the baptism scene wasn't a crucial part of the story then I think you didn't quite understand the story. The baptism is pretty much what the entire story hinges on, but I'll not go into further detail here for fear of posting spoilers for those who have not yet played the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I love religious imagery in games, books, movies etc. It somehow creates depth and makes things sinister,like in Dan Brown's books