Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls and Dark Sales

Default Dark Souls and Dark Sales

Dark Souls and Dark Sales

Dark Souls sold over two million copies and is a bonafide success. Tomb Raider sold over three million copies and is a disappointing failure. Wut?

Different projects obviously have different standards for success, but the divide between Dark Souls and recent releases by Capcom and Square Enix is staggering. What's gone wrong, that selling over three million copies of a game can be deemed a letdown? And what has Dark Souls done right?

Follow Jim on twitter for a chance to win Twitter updates from Jim: @JimSterling

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...L0oS09Vv0vz.99
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Production costs differ. So break-even (let alone profit) lies at different points.

The majority of AAA games have way inflated production costs. I mean, Bioshock Infinite allegedly cost $200 million to develop. It's farking ridiculous.

And then to think small indie games developed on shoestring budgets are often much better than what AAA publishers push out.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    The majority of AAA games have way inflated production costs. I mean, Bioshock Infinite allegedly cost $200 million to develop. It's farking ridiculous.

And then to think small indie games developed on shoestring budgets are often much better than what AAA publishers push out.
    The publishers screw up the games many times. They think they know what the gaming crowd wants , and end up giving us the same boring shit every year.

That's why games that are developed and published by the same company usually turn out to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Why do you think its inflated? e.g. GTA V
    137.5 million cost
    500 million revenue in the first week.

Yes the numbers look big, with those kind of numbers a couple hundred dev costs are a bargain. Sure I picked a successful game, but the point is the numbers aren't all that unrealistic. I'd imagine games like WoW are much more profitable than that even.

Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't the developer of Dark Souls reluctant about doing a pc version due to the piracy rate and thus 2 million sales exceeding sales expectancy while Tomb Raider was always a big thing on pc especially after its reboot and re reboot?
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Why do you think its inflated? e.g. GTA V
    137.5 million cost
    500 million revenue in the first week.

Yes the numbers look big, with those kind of numbers a couple hundred dev costs are a bargain. Sure I picked a successful game, but the point is the numbers aren't all that unrealistic. I'd imagine games like WoW are much more profitable than that even.
    And for every success story there's two or three more that aren't. DmC didn't hit the sales it expected, neither did Tomb Raider and neither did Dead Space 3. 4 months into 2013.

Have you seen EA's marketing budget from last year? It was way excessive. Don't let them fool you, all these big publishers waste money like nobody's business. They can develop games for a lot cheaper and still maintain the same level of quality if they started learning to manage their money properly.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't the developer of Dark Souls reluctant about doing a pc version due to the piracy rate and thus 2 million sales exceeding sales expectancy while Tomb Raider was always a big thing on pc especially after its reboot and re reboot?
    I think they were reluctant because they've never developed for PC before.

Fallout tactics is beter as Tomb Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    Fallout tactics is beter as Tomb Raider
    Heh?