Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift Thoughts

Thumbs up Oculus Rift Thoughts

For those of you who are pretty far behind:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

So a guy at work finally got his Oculus Rift, that he ordered last year, today and we got to play around with it a bit
    For a dev kit it was quite impressive! Resolution still has a lot of room for improvement as it looks like a dot matrix screen when you're looking into it but you quickly get used to it. We tried 2 demos, 1 you walk around a lil' villa and get to look at the trees and rocks and another was on a roller coaster. The roller coaster demo I found more impressive cause I found it very interesting how your brain tries to compensate for it. The demo had a 90 degree drop and your body almost starts to feel like you're literally about to drop and you find yourself looking down like on a roller coaster.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on it now that I've had a chance to try it
    PC: i7 6700k,Asus Z160P,Corsair 16gb DDR4,Samsung 256gb SSD,Asus GTX1070, Dell S2716DG

Had a look at this about 2 weeks ago, It has the backing of some notable companies steam, epic games, id software to name a few so I think its going to get decent development at least

two words: adult entertainment
    make it happen!
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    two words: adult entertainment
    make it happen!
    It's only a matter of time I reckon Then add in a kinect and things could get quite interesting >.<
    PC: i7 6700k,Asus Z160P,Corsair 16gb DDR4,Samsung 256gb SSD,Asus GTX1070, Dell S2716DG

Fleshlight in a real doll on a robotic rig *cough*

S1ght, it's compatible with TF2 afaik. Maybe go give that a try?
    I believe there's also a hack out for Mirror's Edge that makes it work on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift#Software

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyous View Post

Sounds like a terrible idea, i mean if someone were to walk in your not even going to have a clue they are there.... if this is going to happen i foresee a surge of internet video posted by "friends"

I feel the facepalmness already

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyous View Post

Unfortunately it belongs to a guy at work but I've told him to give TF2 and Half Life a try with it. After playing around with it I'm still not sure I'm glad I never bought 1. He said it came to around R4k including shipping and duties, which is a fair amount for a dev kit imo. I think if I did have my own I probably would have played around with it for a few hours trying the different games and demos but then the novelty might have worn off or I would have just gotten too motion sick

I think it's far too early to be buying this one. I also have a guy at work who wants to buy it immediately. But the resolution is so low, and they have all sorts of goals to get it up to fhd; as well as the fit of the glasses and so on. But it's obvious that everyone is excited about it, so it seems like it could be great.

this and mirrors edge would on another level of awesome!
    Can feel my stomach churning and adrenaline rising just thinking of it! Just imagine...
    Name:  mirrors_edge_2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  44.6 KB
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

The video Oculus Rift on a 360 degree treadmill...now that's another level of awesome.

But there's still a lot of work to do. Currently any menu/hud items look terrible - they're flattened and wrapped around and just awkward. Resolution is too low, headgear is too heavy. I'll give it 2 years and look again.