• Fish

4 11.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beef or Chicken, Fish? and cooking

Keep forgetting to look for my recipe will post it tommorow when I find it

Ichigo Ftw

Ichigo did you find that recipie?

Anyone else got some good stuff?
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Default Chicken, aubergine and mushroom pie

4 chicken breasts precooked form shop (less effort, costs about the same)
    2 large'ish aubergines
    1kg Today pastry
    1 pack white button mushrooms
    1 Knorr Cream of Chicken soup packet, 1 Knorr Cream of Mushroom soup packet (can also use two Cream of Chicken ones if you prefer - don't recommend using two mushroom ones)
    375ml cream
    Olive oil

Cut the aubergine into 1-2" cubes and par-cook in a large wok. You want all your aubergine to start gaining some transparency.
    Turn off the heat and shred chunks of chicken into the wok. If your bought chicken is spiced, scrape any excess fat out of the inside of the skin and cut into small pieces to add to the bowl. If not, add 1tbspn Robertson's chicken spice to the sauce you'll be mixing (optional)
    Cut your mushrooms into halves, but don't add them to the mix yet.
    Pour the cream into a bowl and add the soup powder over the top, then use a whisk to mix it through thoroughly. Add the chicken spice if desired.
    Once the soup mixture is smooth, add it to the pie mix and mix through thoroughly. Add the mushrooms and mix to distribute.

Your pie dish should be around 30x25x5cm internal dimensions and sprayed with spray and cook at least along the sides.

Roll half the pack of pastry to cover the bottom and sides of the pie dish, trimming any excess from the sides. Line the dish with the pastry and add the filling.
    Roll the other half of the pastry to only slightly overlap the top edges of the dish.
    Place it over the top and lightly tuck its edges in on the inside; trim excess.
    Lift a corner of the top layer out towards the center of the dish and wet the top of the edges of the bottom layer with some water. Do this right around. Pinch the edge of the pastry 1cm in with a fork to seal it.

Using your fork, pierce the top at the corners and along the center, wiggling the fork to make sure there will be breathing holes.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for a minimum of 45min along the lower half of the oven. You want the top layer of pastry to be cooked through and browned. Egg/milk washing is optional.

One pie will be enough for one serving for 12 people if eaten with something else, such as pumpkin, vegetables or the like. For two people, it can easily be enough to eat over three days, so halving the ingredients for two is probably a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyous View Post
    recipie.
    Thinking I am going to try this soon, shot
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

You guys must try some Dorado! I just wrap it in foil with butter + herbs. Cook on the braai for roughly 10 minutes or less depending on the size.

You can get the Dorado at woolworths

Default Beer bread

Cooking thread? I Approve!

Here's something that will knock the socks off for your next braai - super simple to make: beer bread.

All you need is:

3 cups of flour
    3 teaspoons of baking powder
    3 dessert spoons of sugar
    330ml beer of your choice
    a pinch of salt

1/3 cup melted butter to pour over the top

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and pinch of salt, then pour in the beer and mix into a sticky dough. Put the dough in a buttered bread pan. Pour the melted butter over the top and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 30-40 minutes (poke it with a stick to make sure it's baked all the way through).

That's the base recipe - of you want to you can add like 150g of cheese, or chilli and garlic, or herbs for different tastes. I prefer it plain

Sure, it's not the best for the waistline (this is actually the "trimmed down version") but it's a winner at braais. I usually have to make 2 or 3 loaves.

Quote Originally Posted by qornea View Post
    Cooking thread? I Approve!

Here's something that will knock the socks off for your next braai - super simple to make: beer bread.

All you need is:

3 cups of flour
    3 teaspoons of baking powder
    3 dessert spoons of sugar
    330ml beer of your choice
    a pinch of salt

1/3 cup melted butter to pour over the top

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and pinch of salt, then pour in the beer and mix into a sticky dough. Put the dough in a buttered bread pan. Pour the melted butter over the top and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 30-40 minutes (poke it with a stick to make sure it's baked all the way through).

That's the base recipe - of you want to you can add like 150g of cheese, or chilli and garlic, or herbs for different tastes. I prefer it plain

Sure, it's not the best for the waistline (this is actually the "trimmed down version") but it's a winner at braais. I usually have to make 2 or 3 loaves.
    I must remember to take this down, having a staff braai at the beginning of next month so this may be a very good thing to do. Shot a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    I recently made a lekker spaghetti bolognaise that I really enjoyed, (R200, serves 5, cooking time incl prep 1hour).
    This sounds too duur, for half a kg mince packet of bacon and some cheese?
    Insanity is the best in Superbru! His rugby knowledge, likethe cosmos, knows no bounds, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have any friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Piesank View Post
    This sounds too duur, for half a kg mince packet of bacon and some cheese?
    550gram mince R45
    250gram bacon pieces R30
    1 onion R5
    2 tomatoes R5
    1 punnet mushrooms R18
    500gram spaghetti R10
    2 sachet's tomato paste R9
    1 small tub chili garlic mix R10
    Grated Mozzarella cheese for covering (amount per taste) R25
    1 Knorr Spaghetti Bolognaise sauce powdered sachet R10
    1 Knorr tomato and bacon sauce powdered sachet R10
    Some hot water

Total - R177 rounded off to include petrol or spending money. Some people also like to add red wine in with it with cooking so add that in to the mix