Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: GFWL is to be discontinued

  1. #1
    Thread Killer Mk VIII czc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Between Kensington and The Vale
    Posts
    15,723

    Default GFWL is to be discontinued

    Yep, it's happening. GFWL is closing down. Announcement on the AoEO page:
    “Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.”
    So where does that leave all the other games that require GFWL like Dirt and GTA 4, and many others I guess. Are people that bought these games about to be royalty screwed?

    Info sourced from RPS
    T A N S T A A F L

  2. #2
    There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    11,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    Yep, it's happening. GFWL is closing down. Announcement on the AoEO page:


    So where does that leave all the other games that require GFWL like Dirt and GTA 4, and many others I guess. Are people that bought these games about to be royalty screwed?

    Info sourced from RPS
    Good riddance to bad rubbish. I just hope they offer a solution for existing games that already use it, or that the developers patch it out themselves, otherwise that's going to be a huge hassle.

  3. #3

    Default

    I seriously doubt that there is a single human being on planet earth who is upset about GFWL being cancelled. How often have we had to struggle to play the games that we paid for just because their service is buggy, full of nonsense or just flat out doesn't work.
    Say what you want about origin and uPlay but at least you can play the games you own the day you get them

  4. #4

    Default

    This is probably the best news I've heard in a long, long time. What they could do is add the serial numbers for the games you own to the STEAM database, and then you can just install your game using Steam. For example, both GTA IV and Batman Arkham Asylum are GFWL, but you cannot add them as products to STEAM. All they would need to do is add those serials to the STEAM DB

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Good riddance to bad rubbish. I just hope they offer a solution for existing games that already use it, or that the developers patch it out themselves, otherwise that's going to be a huge hassle.
    yeah, some games like GTA IV and Batman Arkham City still use this... will this be replaced by XBOX Live?

  6. #6

    Default

    +1 to all the above. I just hope Microsoft never attempts something like this again.

    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snare View Post
    I seriously doubt that there is a single human being on planet earth who is upset about GFWL being cancelled. How often have we had to struggle to play the games that we paid for just because their service is buggy, full of nonsense or just flat out doesn't work.
    Say what you want about origin and uPlay but at least you can play the games you own the day you get them
    I am... somewhat. Mainly because I'm worried about my existing GFWL games becoming useless. Other than that, I don't really care. I think I hate steam more.

    Steam has a huge variety of games, but a crappy, clunky, frustrating interface that needs to be updated all the time.

    I love how they "sell" it to you by telling you it's only a 1MB download. Then you realize you got screwed
    when the 100MB update gets applied.
    Last edited by Totempole; 20-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTI View Post
    +1 to all the above. I just hope Microsoft never attempts something like this again.
    Windows 8 App center

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTI View Post
    +1 to all the above. I just hope Microsoft never attempts something like this again.
    Windows 8 App center

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Windows 8 App center
    If it is more like Steam that serves as a launching platform, I'd be ok with it but this and that junk from Rockstar is a no-go. You start the game up and then this piece of garbage comes up, taking ages to sign in and then forces you to do an update and restart the game.

    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

Similar Threads

  1. GFWL - Dirt 3 corrupt save
    By czc in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM
  2. Ultra Street Fighter 4 on PC ditches GFWL for Steam
    By Dohc-WP in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-08-2013, 01:34 PM
  3. Logitech G9x Discontinued:?
    By madh4tt3r in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  4. GFWL Marketplace
    By iNNOS4iNT in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
  5. Fable 3 - PC/Steam/GFWL
    By Fivel in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •