Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xbox One backward compatibility a theoretical proposal, Microsoft says

Default Xbox One backward compatibility a theoretical proposal, Microsoft says

Microsoft Senior Director Albert Penello told Gamespot this week that the Xbox One could potentially, one day, offer backward compatibility using its Azure cloud service. This doesn't mean that Microsoft is actively pursuing backward compatibility in the Xbox One, a Microsoft spokesperson tells Joystiq:

"The power of the cloud brings many possibilities on Xbox One. Albert was speaking theoretically about backwards compatibility as an example of the features the cloud could enable in the future."

In the interview, Penello responded to a question about potential backward compatibility on Xbox One by saying the console was "absolutely" open to that type of connected feature. "There are so many things that the servers can do," he said. "Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box. We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience."

Backward compatibility might be a feature on Xbox One in the future, but for now that's a hypothetical scenario. The console itself might also one day be red, cost $50 or cook breakfast for you – theoretically, of course.

Source:

In that case I will theoretically consider buying a Xbone after they have added this.
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    In that case I will theoretically consider buying a Xbone after they have added this.
    There is absolutely no way this will ever be viable in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    There is absolutely no way this will ever be viable in South Africa.
    Not a chance with our crappy internet, and the services that we actually get in our corner of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    Well you'll just need a fibre line, of course there will be input lag due to the closest data server being in EU/UK.

I can't understand this obsession with backwards compatibility, I don't even play games that I bought 6 months ago. Why would I want to play old games on a new console.
    Tips for travellers to Thailand: www.thailandtips.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by bokka1 View Post
    I can't understand this obsession with backwards compatibility, I don't even play games that I bought 6 months ago. Why would I want to play old games on a new console.
    Backwards compatibility is good to get over the new console launch hump where there aren't many games for the system and they are generally quite expensive. So BC lets you play all your old games on the new system while waiting for new games to arrive.

It also means not having to have an EXTRA device in your living room and that you can just replace the old with the new.

If it has backwards compatibility I will eventually buy it when the price is affordable so I can give someone else my xbox 360 and still be able to play my old games.

Ichigo Ftw

Quote Originally Posted by bokka1 View Post
    It's true for most of the PS3 games that I have (that I probably won't play them again anytime soon) however there are some that are favourites that I sometimes replay - was the same with my PS2 however luckily PC emulation caught up and works better than my PS3 does at running them (take the older SSX games as an example - SSX Tricky causes my PS3 to get tricky).

I think I saw on an interview with Major Nelson or someone that you can connect a 360 via the HDMI input on the XBOne and use it like ahub to access the older system.
    Nothing is permitted, everything is true.