Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Developer threatens YouTube reviewer to cover up rubbish game

Post Video Censorship: The Gary's Incident

This is a video response posted by TotalBiscuit with regards to a recent first impression video he posted...

It is shameful that a developer can be so petty as to report one of the most respected gaming Youtubers just because he didn't like their game. It is a blatant example of censorship. I've now seen many other prominent Youtubers getting behind TB as they express their support for his cause.

In short what the video entails:
    TB posted a video in which he gives his honest opinion about Day One: Gary's Incident. This was done after getting explicit permission from the developers to do so. The developers of the game, Wild Games Studios, then decided that, because the video was overall negative, to take it down. The reason they gave are that "TB doesn't have any right to make money off of their licence". Which is funny, because TB's job, which he gets paid for, is to make Youtube videos, something they gave him permission to do.

What's your opinion about the incident?

My opinion is that I now know I won't be buying this game.

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Lol, youtube needs to retract their actions there. Still its not the first time a dev has used double standards
    My ignore list: n/a

Haha, check out the Steam forums for this game. They tried to censor a single negative video, now the response video has 600k viewers and their forums are awash with negative criticism. Talk about achieving the exact opposite of what you wanted.

It also seems these guys pad review scores on Metacritic as well as bribed their way through Steam Greenlight.

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Woofer View Post
    Haha, check out the Steam forums for this game. They tried to censor a single negative video, now the response video has 600k viewers and their forums are awash with negative criticism. Talk about achieving the exact opposite of what you wanted.

It also seems these guys pad review scores on Metacritic as well as bribed their way through Steam Greenlight.
    That seems to be a problem here. Once you try and censor one critic then every critic pipes up, doesn't help that everyone on the internet is a critic. The best you can do is say its a conspiracy by EA to kill small devs and then everyone will attack EA and buy your game.
    My ignore list: n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Woofer View Post
    What goes on the internet stays on the internet. I would've thought any dev would know this by now.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    What goes on the internet stays on the internet. I would've thought any dev would know this by now.
    Streisand Effect in all its glory.

Here is NerdCubed's take on the incident.

I'll check the video out when I get home. I saw the tweets by TB.

I believe this is called the Streisand effect

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Streisand Effect in all its glory.

Here is NerdCubed's take on the incident.

I actually saw Nerdcubed version first before the video from TB. I also saw on the developers Facebook page, they have no rating higher than a 1 star rating. Metacritic user scores are also hovering at about 1.9 for the game. So the lesson to learn is; don't piss off the internet!!!

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Facebook page, they have no rating higher than a 1 star rating. Metacritic user scores are also hovering at about 1.9 for the game. So the lesson to learn is; don't piss off the internet!!!
    It's down to 0.5 now. This guy really shot himself in the foot. Expect the game to be renamed soon, just like The War Z