Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Trophies Firestarter The finest threads Poll position

Default PlayStation 4 needs a launch day update

PlayStation 4 needs a launch day update

Unlocks features Sony have been working on up to the launch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Well MS has already confirmed that the Xbone will also require a day one update, so it's probably not the worst thing ever. And at about 300MB, it shouldn't even take long to download as well. But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Well MS has already confirmed that the Xbone will also require a day one update, so it's probably not the worst thing ever. And at about 300MB, it shouldn't even take long to download as well. But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start
    They could have delayed the launch date instead, so it could have been worse. Its really not that big of a deal. Although it does suck if you have no internet or are capped...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start
    But this is the same with every launch, there's always something that pops up just before launch that someone thinks is a good idea, but can't be implemented into launch firmware because over half the consoles are already in shipping containers. This happens in games too, although it seems that its the games and tech industry that allows themselves to take crap products and software on launch with the promise of improvements later. You don't see this in the music, motorcar or movie industry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    But this is the same with every launch, there's always something that pops up just before launch that someone thinks is a good idea, but can't be implemented into launch firmware because over half the consoles are already in shipping containers. This happens in games too, although it seems that its the games and tech industry that allows themselves to take crap products and software on launch with the promise of improvements later. You don't see this in the music, motorcar or movie industry.
    I think the fact that developers CAN actually work up to the last minute before the launch of software causes many these launch day updates. Look, I don't really have a problem with the fact that an update is required. If that update actually adds beneficial components to the overall experience of the game/software/console, then that's a good thing, right? Just don't sell me something that doesn't work and expect me to first "fix" it with the update you so conveniently slip in at launch day. That's just bad planning if you ask me. Surely somewhere in the development phase the project manager has to say "okay we have a working, operational product that we will sell. Fix all the issues and let's sell it. Anything additional we want to add we will do so after launch".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I think the WiiU required a 3GB update on launch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

What is in the update that they couldn't have implemented before? Come home with your new console, ready to get started immediately... "Update required" :/ And chances are - the games themselves with also require update before they're playable -- as I've experienced so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    They could have delayed the launch date instead, so it could have been worse. Its really not that big of a deal. Although it does suck if you have no internet or are capped...
    I am pretty sure they will have the latest firmware updates on the newer PS4 titles, like they did with the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
    What is in the update that they couldn't have implemented before? Come home with your new console, ready to get started immediately... "Update required" :/ And chances are - the games themselves with also require update before they're playable -- as I've experienced so far.
    You don't need the update to play single player, you can start the update and start playing a game, when it's done it will notify you.