Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: PlayStation 4 needs a launch day update

  1. #1

    Default PlayStation 4 needs a launch day update

    PlayStation 4 needs a launch day update

    Unlocks features Sony have been working on up to the launch.

  2. #2

    Default

    Well MS has already confirmed that the Xbone will also require a day one update, so it's probably not the worst thing ever. And at about 300MB, it shouldn't even take long to download as well. But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Well MS has already confirmed that the Xbone will also require a day one update, so it's probably not the worst thing ever. And at about 300MB, it shouldn't even take long to download as well. But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start
    They could have delayed the launch date instead, so it could have been worse. Its really not that big of a deal. Although it does suck if you have no internet or are capped...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start
    But this is the same with every launch, there's always something that pops up just before launch that someone thinks is a good idea, but can't be implemented into launch firmware because over half the consoles are already in shipping containers. This happens in games too, although it seems that its the games and tech industry that allows themselves to take crap products and software on launch with the promise of improvements later. You don't see this in the music, motorcar or movie industry.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    But this is the same with every launch, there's always something that pops up just before launch that someone thinks is a good idea, but can't be implemented into launch firmware because over half the consoles are already in shipping containers. This happens in games too, although it seems that its the games and tech industry that allows themselves to take crap products and software on launch with the promise of improvements later. You don't see this in the music, motorcar or movie industry.
    I think the fact that developers CAN actually work up to the last minute before the launch of software causes many these launch day updates. Look, I don't really have a problem with the fact that an update is required. If that update actually adds beneficial components to the overall experience of the game/software/console, then that's a good thing, right? Just don't sell me something that doesn't work and expect me to first "fix" it with the update you so conveniently slip in at launch day. That's just bad planning if you ask me. Surely somewhere in the development phase the project manager has to say "okay we have a working, operational product that we will sell. Fix all the issues and let's sell it. Anything additional we want to add we will do so after launch".

  6. #6

    Default

    I think the WiiU required a 3GB update on launch.

  7. #7

    Default

    What is in the update that they couldn't have implemented before? Come home with your new console, ready to get started immediately... "Update required" :/ And chances are - the games themselves with also require update before they're playable -- as I've experienced so far.


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    They could have delayed the launch date instead, so it could have been worse. Its really not that big of a deal. Although it does suck if you have no internet or are capped...
    I am pretty sure they will have the latest firmware updates on the newer PS4 titles, like they did with the PS3.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
    What is in the update that they couldn't have implemented before? Come home with your new console, ready to get started immediately... "Update required" :/ And chances are - the games themselves with also require update before they're playable -- as I've experienced so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    Well MS has already confirmed that the Xbone will also require a day one update, so it's probably not the worst thing ever. And at about 300MB, it shouldn't even take long to download as well. But it's a real shame that the new consoles are not coming out and ready for action right out of the box. If I am paying +R6000 for a console, I expect it to work right out from the start
    You don't need the update to play single player, you can start the update and start playing a game, when it's done it will notify you.

Similar Threads

  1. Playstation 4 launch is going to be huge: Sony
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-09-2013, 01:05 PM
  2. PlayStation 4 launch date revealed
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-08-2013, 12:09 PM
  3. PlayStation 4 Will Definitely Launch 2013 in UK
    By Dohc-WP in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-05-2013, 02:56 PM
  4. Playstation 4 launch details uncovered
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM
  5. PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.10) Update Preview
    By Solidus in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •