Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia unveils Geforce GTX 1080 and insane new technology

MyGaming Journalist

Default Nvidia unveils Geforce GTX 1080 and insane new technology

Nvidia unveils Geforce GTX 1080 and insane new technology

Nvidia has unveiled the Geforce GTX 1080, the most powerful gaming graphics card ever created by the company.

Awesome, awaiting benchmarks from June
    4690k @4.5ghz |CM SEIDON 120V PLUS |CM HAF 932 |ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | 16GB DDR3 | 2x Saphire RX480 Nitro+ OC| 2x256GB SSD RAID0 | 850w Corsair PSU

Quote Originally Posted by blaaislaai View Post
    Awesome, awaiting benchmarks from June
    Yup, interested to see what the 1070 will deliver!
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Quick questions for those with more insight into this sort of thing:

1 - By how much would local SA suppliers load the prices? $599 is under R9k, which sounds like a terrific price point for the card, but realistically, what will it be costing us here?

2 - How soon after the launch date are we likely to see them available in SA?

3 - Once they do release here, are we likely to see significant price drops for the existing 900-series and Titan cards?

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Quote Originally Posted by GregRedd View Post
    Quick questions for those with more insight into this sort of thing:

1 - By how much would local SA suppliers load the prices? $599 is under R9k, which sounds like a terrific price point for the card, but realistically, what will it be costing us here?

2 - How soon after the launch date are we likely to see them available in SA?

3 - Once they do release here, are we likely to see significant price drops for the existing 900-series and Titan cards?
    Prices don't get loaded bud.
    You can't compare SA pricing with the rest of the world.
    Our PC hardware market isn't even a drop in the ocean compared to something like the North American market. Then on top of that we have the shit rand and the import duties and taxes on pc parts.

GTX1080 will set you back between R12 000 and R15 000
    GTX1070 will set you back between R8500 and R10 000

That's if the rand doesn't drop further.

As for the 9xx series cards...I don't see prices dropping as Nvidia have already stopped manufacturing on the 9xx cards.
    The stock that is still available will be sold or sent back.

Time frame wise, the 1080 should be in SA around the 2nd week of June, followed by the 1070 2 weeks later.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Prices don't get loaded bud.
    You can't compare SA pricing with the rest of the world.
    Our PC hardware market isn't even a drop in the ocean compared to something like the North American market. Then on top of that we have the shit rand and the import duties and taxes on pc parts.

GTX1080 will set you back between R12 000 and R15 000
    GTX1070 will set you back between R8500 and R10 000

That's if the rand doesn't drop further.

As for the 9xx series cards...I don't see prices dropping as Nvidia have already stopped manufacturing on the 9xx cards.
    The stock that is still available will be sold or sent back.

Time frame wise, the 1080 should be in SA around the 2nd week of June, followed by the 1070 2 weeks later.
    Comparing a few cards on Rebeltech and Amazon (GTX 970s only because I'm lazy and it's Saturday), the price difference is between 18 times and 20 times depending on brand. So going by that flawed logic we are looking at a price somewhere between R6800 and R7500 for the 1070 if the rand behaves.
    Problem is that the 970 has been on the market for a while and the 1070 is brand new so our local suppliers won't be able to take advantage of specials and discounts like they would with the 970.

So, yeah, I agree with your price predictions. Maybe R500 less on the bottom range.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post
    Comparing a few cards on Rebeltech and Amazon (GTX 970s only because I'm lazy and it's Saturday), the price difference is between 18 times and 20 times depending on brand. So going by that flawed logic we are looking at a price somewhere between R6800 and R7500 for the 1070 if the rand behaves.
    Problem is that the 970 has been on the market for a while and the 1070 is brand new so our local suppliers won't be able to take advantage of specials and discounts like they would with the 970.

So, yeah, I agree with your price predictions. Maybe R500 less on the bottom range.
    Mmm it doesn't exactly work like that.

I'm not gonna mention name or brand but check this.

GTX980Ti selling in the Us at $600, when shipped to SA it's sold to our suppliers at $660.
    We don't move nearly enough stock to qualify for the same pricing as say NA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Mmm it doesn't exactly work like that.

I'm not gonna mention name or brand but check this.

GTX980Ti selling in the Us at $600, when shipped to SA it's sold to our suppliers at $660.
    We don't move nearly enough stock to qualify for the same pricing as say NA.
    I think we are arguing the same point.
    The price in SA is not ($ * Exchange rate) + Normal Store Markup. It is (($ + Not being able to buy bulk charge) * Exchange rate) + Normal Store Markup.

That is why you have to consider the exchange rate to be about 15%-20% more than what it actually is.
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post
    I think we are arguing the same point.
    The price in SA is not ($ * Exchange rate) + Normal Store Markup. It is (($ + Not being able to buy bulk charge) * Exchange rate) + Normal Store Markup.

That is why you have to consider the exchange rate to be about 15%-20% more than what it actually is.
    Pretty much yes.

Rule of thumb for SA pricing on GPU's at the moment is almost always double what it costs in the US.

^^ Sorry, but isn't the pricing in the article recommended retail pricing? Hence not bulk pricing?

In the article they just say it will cost that much but why irk consumers by listing a low price in news media but then sell for more at launch?