Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1175

Thread: Thread of PC Woes, Troubles, Problems, and Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Yay! My pc is fixed! Have a brand new PSU now and hopefully this one will last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Yay! My pc is fixed! Have a brand new PSU now and hopefully this one will last.
    Do you have a UPS? always a good idea to increase the lifespan of your Rig with nice clean power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Do you have a UPS? always a good idea to increase the lifespan of your Rig with nice clean power.
    Only if it's a Line-Interactive or Double Conversion UPS. an Offline/Standby UPS (sometimes also called a Backup UPS) will actually just give you your mains power unless the mains is interrupted, at which stage it will use the battery.

a Line-interactive UPS provides MUCH better protection as it has a multi-tap variable-voltage autotransformer. Don't fall for the "a buck-boost transformer effectively does the same thing" marketing bullshit either.

The real proper (read expensive) UPS is the Online/Double Conversion type as you ALWAYS get clean power, everything is always pumped through the rectifier. This offers complete electrical isolation.

This is the type you want to avoid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Only if it's a Line-Interactive or Double Conversion UPS. an Offline/Standby UPS (sometimes also called a Backup UPS) will actually just give you your mains power unless the mains is interrupted, at which stage it will use the battery.

a Line-interactive UPS provides MUCH better protection as it has a multi-tap variable-voltage autotransformer. Don't fall for the "a buck-boost transformer effectively does the same thing" marketing bullshit either.

The real proper (read expensive) UPS is the Online/Double Conversion type as you ALWAYS get clean power, everything is always pumped through the rectifier. This offers complete electrical isolation.

This is the type you want to avoid
    Can you guys recommend me one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate.

@PsychoFish Fair Enough but its still better than bareback no ?

It might not be completely clean but if it dips or peaks high enough the UPS will kick in, Mine does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

@PsychoFish Fair Enough but its still better than bareback no ?

It might not be completely clean but if it dips or peaks high enough the UPS will kick in, Mine does.
    It's effectively as good as how quickly the UPS can kick over to the inverter. This can be as long enough for a significant surge to pop your PSU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    It's effectively as good as how quickly the UPS can kick over to the inverter. This can be as long enough for a significant surge to pop your PSU.
    Agreed, but again better than nothing @Solitude as far as recommendations APC maybe I would look around for reviews, again as Psychofish has stated its not going to be perfect but I would rate it better than nothing, don't know if you agree or have supplier recommendations @PsychoFish ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Agreed, but again better than nothing @Solitude as far as recommendations APC maybe I would look around for reviews, again as Psychofish has stated its not going to be perfect but I would rate it better than nothing, don't know if you agree or have supplier recommendations @PsychoFish ?
    APC Back-UPS Pro range is probably the best I can recommend for SOHO use. And to be sure, also get the APC SureArrest (or similar) surge protection power strip.

Plug the UPS into the Surge Protection power strip and your PC,Monitor and Router into the UPS. If you have a surge protector for the phone line make sure that damn thing is plugged in.

I've seen a motherboard getting fried because the surge popped the router and ultimately passed through the network cable popping the MB.

But Vendors for UPS in order of preference :

- APC (If I'm ever on life support I want the damn thing to have an APC UPS)
    - Eaton
    - Tripp Lite
    - CyberPower
    - Mercury UPS
    - Proline
    - Mecer
    Last edited by PsychoFish; 01-04-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community.

A question if I may; SSD drives have a read/write life cycle, as such this is somewhat of a double edged sword. Do you put applications or operating systems that get used very often but you'll benefit from it's speed improvements, or do you load applications or data intensive applications or function on them that you may not use as often but benefitted greatly from it's speed improvements?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BeoTeK View Post
    A question if I may; SSD drives have a read/write life cycle, as such this is somewhat of a double edged sword. Do you put applications or operating systems that get used very often but you'll benefit from it's speed improvements, or do you load applications or data intensive applications or function on them that you may not use as often but benefitted greatly from it's speed improvements?
    At home my SSD has my OS and 1 game on it. I put the game on there because it kind suffers from long-ish loading times and the SSD helps. At work my laptop only has an SSD so everything is installed on it. IMO, i would use an SSD to only run the OS and perhaps 1 or 2 regularly used apps.