Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1175

Thread: Thread of PC Woes, Troubles, Problems, and Issues

  1. #1161

    Default

    Yay! My pc is fixed! Have a brand new PSU now and hopefully this one will last.

  2. #1162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Yay! My pc is fixed! Have a brand new PSU now and hopefully this one will last.
    Do you have a UPS? always a good idea to increase the lifespan of your Rig with nice clean power.

  3. #1163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Do you have a UPS? always a good idea to increase the lifespan of your Rig with nice clean power.
    Only if it's a Line-Interactive or Double Conversion UPS. an Offline/Standby UPS (sometimes also called a Backup UPS) will actually just give you your mains power unless the mains is interrupted, at which stage it will use the battery.

    a Line-interactive UPS provides MUCH better protection as it has a multi-tap variable-voltage autotransformer. Don't fall for the "a buck-boost transformer effectively does the same thing" marketing bullshit either.

    The real proper (read expensive) UPS is the Online/Double Conversion type as you ALWAYS get clean power, everything is always pumped through the rectifier. This offers complete electrical isolation.

    This is the type you want to avoid

  4. #1164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Do you have a UPS? always a good idea to increase the lifespan of your Rig with nice clean power.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Only if it's a Line-Interactive or Double Conversion UPS. an Offline/Standby UPS (sometimes also called a Backup UPS) will actually just give you your mains power unless the mains is interrupted, at which stage it will use the battery.

    a Line-interactive UPS provides MUCH better protection as it has a multi-tap variable-voltage autotransformer. Don't fall for the "a buck-boost transformer effectively does the same thing" marketing bullshit either.

    The real proper (read expensive) UPS is the Online/Double Conversion type as you ALWAYS get clean power, everything is always pumped through the rectifier. This offers complete electrical isolation.

    This is the type you want to avoid
    Can you guys recommend me one?

  5. #1165

    Default

    [MENTION=6600]PsychoFish[/MENTION] Fair Enough but its still better than bareback no ?

    It might not be completely clean but if it dips or peaks high enough the UPS will kick in, Mine does.

  6. #1166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    [MENTION=6600]PsychoFish[/MENTION] Fair Enough but its still better than bareback no ?

    It might not be completely clean but if it dips or peaks high enough the UPS will kick in, Mine does.
    It's effectively as good as how quickly the UPS can kick over to the inverter. This can be as long enough for a significant surge to pop your PSU.

  7. #1167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    It's effectively as good as how quickly the UPS can kick over to the inverter. This can be as long enough for a significant surge to pop your PSU.
    Agreed, but again better than nothing [MENTION=20]Solitude[/MENTION] as far as recommendations APC maybe I would look around for reviews, again as Psychofish has stated its not going to be perfect but I would rate it better than nothing, don't know if you agree or have supplier recommendations [MENTION=6600]PsychoFish[/MENTION] ?

  8. #1168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
    Agreed, but again better than nothing [MENTION=20]Solitude[/MENTION] as far as recommendations APC maybe I would look around for reviews, again as Psychofish has stated its not going to be perfect but I would rate it better than nothing, don't know if you agree or have supplier recommendations [MENTION=6600]PsychoFish[/MENTION] ?
    APC Back-UPS Pro range is probably the best I can recommend for SOHO use. And to be sure, also get the APC SureArrest (or similar) surge protection power strip.

    Plug the UPS into the Surge Protection power strip and your PC,Monitor and Router into the UPS. If you have a surge protector for the phone line make sure that damn thing is plugged in.

    I've seen a motherboard getting fried because the surge popped the router and ultimately passed through the network cable popping the MB.

    But Vendors for UPS in order of preference :

    - APC (If I'm ever on life support I want the damn thing to have an APC UPS)
    - Eaton
    - Tripp Lite
    - CyberPower
    - Mercury UPS
    - Proline
    - Mecer
    Last edited by PsychoFish; 01-04-2017 at 06:51 AM.

  9. #1169

    Default

    A question if I may; SSD drives have a read/write life cycle, as such this is somewhat of a double edged sword. Do you put applications or operating systems that get used very often but you'll benefit from it's speed improvements, or do you load applications or data intensive applications or function on them that you may not use as often but benefitted greatly from it's speed improvements?

  10. #1170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeoTeK View Post
    A question if I may; SSD drives have a read/write life cycle, as such this is somewhat of a double edged sword. Do you put applications or operating systems that get used very often but you'll benefit from it's speed improvements, or do you load applications or data intensive applications or function on them that you may not use as often but benefitted greatly from it's speed improvements?
    At home my SSD has my OS and 1 game on it. I put the game on there because it kind suffers from long-ish loading times and the SSD helps. At work my laptop only has an SSD so everything is installed on it. IMO, i would use an SSD to only run the OS and perhaps 1 or 2 regularly used apps.

Similar Threads

  1. GPU troubles
    By [email protected] in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-03-2014, 11:37 AM
  2. Homefront 2 is coming along fine despite THQ's troubles
    By Jeremy in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-06-2012, 12:31 PM
  3. SSD troubles
    By ArchieChoke in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
  4. Help with PC troubles
    By Tchnlgydude in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 02:47 AM
  5. PC troubles
    By Shamrock in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •