Page 18 of 118 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread of PC Woes, Troubles, Problems, and Issues

Strange noises issue.

I've heard some squeaking coming from my machine and I've determined it's my old 40gb IDE harddrive thats got my OS installed on it. Is this a problem? If so, can it be fixed or should I just get rid of the drive?

The singularity is about to explode! Weapons are at maximum.

squeaking
    Is very bad backup your stuff and get rid of the drive.

The amount to fix it is not worth the cost involved to fix the drive and well we only have very few places where they specialize in HDD repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Gold View Post
    Strange noises issue.

I've heard some squeaking coming from my machine and I've determined it's my old 40gb IDE harddrive thats got my OS installed on it. Is this a problem? If so, can it be fixed or should I just get rid of the drive?
    Seriously you still have a hard drive that small? As Waco said now is the time to backup and replace the drive. Failure is imminent.

You could clone your drive using Clonezilla or DriveXML, then just restore it to a new hard drive.

Thanks, It's only got to keep working for a week or 2 longer when I format, so I'll get rid of it than.

And it's one of my 1st HDDs and I had no need to remove it or upgrade since it's only for my OS and few other critical programs. It helps reduce cluttered files for me by keeping things like that.

The singularity is about to explode! Weapons are at maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Gold View Post
    Thanks, It's only got to keep working for a week or 2 longer when I format, so I'll get rid of it than.

And it's one of my 1st HDDs and I had no need to remove it or upgrade since it's only for my OS and few other critical programs. It helps reduce cluttered files for me by keeping things like that.
    Not to mention how much easier it is to format and reinstall without having to back everything up etc. :P have been running an 80gb boot drive for years now, makes life easier.

I need help please I had a PC for sometime and in there I had a 320gb Seagate SATA drive when I sold my PC last month I copied all my info onto this drive and removed it from my PC and stored it straight in my cupboard never touching it

I just bought a laptop and my plan was to put this drive into an enclosure so I bought the XGR enclosure

BUT now the HDD wont load / boot or spin......???

I dont understand everything worked then I removed it and stored it now its "dead"

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I need help please I had a PC for sometime and in there I had a 320gb Seagate SATA drive when I sold my PC last month I copied all my info onto this drive and removed it from my PC and stored it straight in my cupboard never touching it

I just bought a laptop and my plan was to put this drive into an enclosure so I bought the XGR enclosure

BUT now the HDD wont load / boot or spin......???

I dont understand everything worked then I removed it and stored it now its "dead"
    Does the external enclosure work? Is it getting power?

Check if the drive is being detected in the BIOS?

How do you know it isn't spinning? Normally they are pretty silent.
    "My friend told me the other day that I was delusional. I almost fell off my Unicorn."

Grimspoon the enclosure is getting power also when I plug the USB into the laptop you can hear the laptop pick up something

Will have to check BIOS (im not a PC person so my knowledge is very little)

Ok some drives you can feel vibration or at least it shows signs of life....

Check all the connections to the drive inside the enclosure as well - sometimes they don't connect properly - also make sure the connectors on the HDD are clean.

Grimmy - are you sure about checking the BIOS? I wasn't aware that USB connected drives would show up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Grimspoon the enclosure is getting power also when I plug the USB into the laptop you can hear the laptop pick up something

Will have to check BIOS (im not a PC person so my knowledge is very little)

Ok some drives you can feel vibration or at least it shows signs of life....
    Ok so you getting power, I assume you have made doubley sure that the drive is connected correctly inside.

Umm, could you try test it on another machine perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    Check all the connections to the drive inside the enclosure as well - sometimes they don't connect properly - also make sure the connectors on the HDD are clean.

Grimmy - are you sure about checking the BIOS? I wasn't aware that USB connected drives would show up there.
    In fact you are right shadow, it probably won't show up. I was thinking of when you install a new HDD into a PC via SATA.
    "My friend told me the other day that I was delusional. I almost fell off my Unicorn."