Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Wasteland 2 thread

Cool Official Wasteland 2 thread

So guys, the beta is expected any day (was expected before the end of October).

How many of you guys have backed it, and how many of you played the original? The original was one of my favourite games of all time and I jumped at the chance to get back into the Wasteland!

I've been closely following
    http://wasteland.inxile-entertainmen...6603317c90fda0
    and http://wasteland.inxile-entertainmen...3e85a22e5d9b56

I'm hoping that they release Wasteland 1 within the next week or two, so that I can play that again before Nr 2 is released!
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/posts/653968

Almost there, Almost there…
    Hello Rangers,

Chris here to announce that our re-release of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic has gone Gold and has been submitted to GOG.com and Steam for platform approval. If somehow you’re unfamiliar with Wasteland: this critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic role-playing game was first published in 1988, and broke new ground as one of the first cRPGs to have an open, reactive world with persistent consequences to your actions.

The year is 2087, eighty nine years after an all-out nuclear war transformed the Earth into a hellish landscape where survival is a daily struggle against thirst, hunger, radiation, raiders and mutants. You take control of a band of Rangers, sent out to investigate a series of disturbances in The Wasteland and soon uncover a vast threat to all that remains of mankind.

This old school cRPG offers turn-based combat and top-down exploration, as well as tons of mood-setting texts and a colorful variety of enemy portraits. As we talked about before, we have enhanced the re-release, first and foremost ensuring the game will run on modern machines and higher resolutions. Furthermore, the game has been expanded to offer a music track from Wasteland 2 composer Mark Morgan, integrated texts from the paragraph book and manual, and additional save game functionality. It also offers many optional overhauls such as uprezzed portraits, paragraph voice-over and a choice of playing the game upscaled, smoothed or in the original resolution.

All our backers – whether through Wasteland 2’s Kickstarter, as a late backer through Paypal, or if you got Wasteland 2 through your Torment pledge – will be getting a copy of Wasteland 1 for free. You will receive your key by logging into your account on the Ranger Center (or the equivalent Torment pledge management system). They will be available as soon as the game goes live on GOG.com and Steam, which could happen as early as Friday, and we'll email our backers then. Access will be limited to backers only initially. You will be able pick between getting either a Steam or GOG.com key, whichever is your preference.

To briefly elaborate on our last update’s notes on this re-release, we got a ton of feedback based on what we showed you about our Wasteland 1 tweaks. We spent some time implementing a number of the changes our community suggested; a toggle to turn smoothing off, implementing swappable portraits, tweaking portrait art options, in-game manual text on abilities, stats and skills and ensuring it works on Mac and Linux.

Beta

The Early Beta is not quite ready yet, but we are almost there. We’ve received countless messages from backers telling us not to release the game until it’s ready. Even though it’s an early beta, we feel the experience has to be at a base level of satisfaction to us before we release it. There will still be plenty of time for you to give input and help us craft the game once the early beta is released. We are focused on getting it to a state where we can give you a meaningful impression of the game and allow you to give useful feedback. We’re working hard to get it there, but it does need a bit more love, and we’d rather get it right than rush it to you. As the beta progresses, we’re also testing distribution mechanisms with an external set of users via Steam, all in preparation to get the first playable in your hands.

Speaking of preparation, the official forums are being restructured and reorganized to support the Early Beta launch. We are also about to roll out the Early Beta issue reporting site, which will use the CenterCode platform. This way community members will be able to directly report issues into our internal bug tracking database. While CenterCode will be our main method of gathering bugs, you guys will of course want to discuss your experiences, share different Ranger builds, help each other out with possibly technical problems, and the official forums will provide the platform for that. We’ve expanded the moderator group with volunteers that have been on the forums a long time, and they will help ensure a smooth experience and assist in ensuring feedback comes through. On top of our existing moderators, RangerBen, Sxerks, SuAside and Tagaziel, we’d like to welcome Zombra, ffordesoon, Drool, paultakeda and Woolfe.

For quick updates, we launched a Wasteland2Beta twitter account, which will keep you posted with news and status updates pertaining to the beta until it is ready for launch. As always, you can check Brian’s twitter, my own twitter, and the Wasteland 2 tumblr for our most important updates.

T-Shirts

J!nx started shipping T-shirts as of last Friday. They should arrive at US addresses within a week, internationally please allow for a few weeks. If you’ve received an email from J!nx about your order shipping, that’ll most likely be your Wasteland T-Shirt (unless you have other outstanding orders from J!nx). Please feel free to contact us with any questions or if there appear to be problems with your shipment.

More Kickstarting

If you’re keeping an eye out for interesting projects to back, definitely give the Stasis Kickstarter a look. This 2D isometric scifi horror adventure game has the look of the best 2D top-down gaming had to offer, a mix of Fallout and Sanitarium in this bleak, atmospheric point and click. If you want to know more, an alpha demo is available for your perusal.

Raindrop is another fascinating project in its crowdfunding stage, worth a look from any fan of post-apocalyptic worlds for the aesthetics alone. It is a surreal, environmentally driven horror-survival game, with fully explorable levels and complex puzzles. It’s on its final few days with quite a chunk to go, so they could do with a good push!

Cries of a Dead World

And finally, to share something that’s just cool, gaming song maker extraordinaire Gavin Dunne AKA Miracle of Sound contacted us, interested in doing a fan made song for Wasteland 2. We put him in touch with Mark Morgan for some pointers, and he came back to us with this cool song:

Australian fans will want to keep their eyes peeled for issue #222 of PC PowerPlay, a survival-themed issue with one sweet-looking cover.

Thanks,
    Chris Keenan
    Project Lead
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

I am ashamed to admit that I never played the first and and didn't know about the 2nd until I heard about Torment. However, once I saw what it was about and who was behind it, I backed the $45 pledge so that I could get Wasteland 2 and Torment. Pity about the delays though...

I got my STEAM Wasteland 1 key this morning but the mouse is kinda stuck on my Win 8 office machine. Will try it on my Win 7 machine at home. But, I got a copy of evaluation copy of wasteland a while back to see what it is about but deleted it soon afterwords. Its just too old for me. I grew up with those kinds of games but with the backlog of games I want to play, I unfortunately wont be playing Wasteland 1.

The Wasteland 2 vids have really impressed me, I hope they release it in time for the year end holidays.

Also awesome of them for talking about Stasis! Game looks really great!

Hi VirtualForce,

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainmen...p=80724#p80724 <- that might be your win 8 issue.

I don't really expect anyone to get into Wasteland 1 who didn't grow up playing it. I want to play it for old time sake before starting number 2, just to relive some of the great memories.

Yeah, it was really nice of them to give an honourable mention to Statis, I'm sure that will propel them over the funding limit.

They actually also did a lot of work on Wasteland 1 which I never thought they would do. To give you an idea when I last played Wasteland 1 we had a 20MB harddrive and we had two copies of the game on that HDD + the OS and a bunch of other games. Now Wasteland 1 is over 300MB on Steam.
    Last edited by Wyzak; 12-11-2013 at 03:28 PM.

hehe, the thing, sometimes a game just bites you unexpectedly and you cant let go. Will try the newly released version and see. I'm a sucker for a game with depth and a good story.

Ah, I see, windowed mode, will try that. Will also make it easier to play during down times at work.

I'm just really happy that they release Wasteland 1 before Wasteland 2. There was a lot of talk initially that EA wouldn't allow them to release WL1 before WL2. That would have made it very difficult for me to play WL1 again if they came out on the same day.

So I finished Wasteland 1 last night on my third play-through Man, that was awesome! Can't wait for Wasteland 2 to come out now.

Also for those of you who might have missed the news, you will be able to pay beta access for just $10 soon.

Jumping on board
    We’ve heard from a lot of our current lower tier backers who still
    want to jump into the beta, as it was not a part of every tier during
    the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter or for late backers. We offered a
    Wasteland 2 beta add-on in our store but closed it as the beta
    launched, and eligible backers have been able to play this beta for a
    month now. However, we want to give our existing backers one last
    chance to jump into the beta, so AROUND THE END OF THIS MONTH we’re
    going to offer a limited-time add-on option only through the Ranger
    Center backer store; for $10 you will be able to add-on beta access to
    your existing pledge, getting your Steam Early Access key as soon as
    the add-on is registered by us. Please note this add-on will only
    provide access to the Wasteland 2 beta, it will not include the
    digital extras of the earlier add-on or the $60 Steam Early Access
    version. This deal will also be available for Torment: Tides of
    Numenera backers who are due Wasteland 2 from their tier, when it
    launches and if you have Wasteland 2 in your tier you'll be able to
    get it through Torment's pledge management system. We will let you
    know exactly when it’s up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-own-franchise

Some really awesome things in this article:
    1) WL2 will definitely come out in 2014 (should be out in the next few months) - it is currently in beta.
    2) There will be a modkit for it.
    3) Game length is about 50 hours.
    4) Game will retail for less than it is currently selling for £34.99

i really hope this game succeeds. i am a HUGE Fallout fan, and by all accounts this is the true spiritual successor to Fallout 1&2. Also, i have a soft spot for old school top-down isometric games :-) the original XCOM is still one of my favourite games of all time

Did you ever play Wasteland 1? Fallout was technically the sequel of that, but they didn't have the rights as EA owned the rights to Wasteland.