Thread: Use Blackberry as Modem

Default Use Blackberry as Modem

Would it be possible to use my Blackberry 9320 Curve as a modem from my PC via USB cable - using BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) and not my airtime?

When I get my PC later in the month I won't have ADSL, but I'll have my BIS instead.

Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
    Would it be possible to use my Blackberry 9320 Curve as a modem from my PC via USB cable - using BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) and not my airtime?

When I get my PC later in the month I won't have ADSL, but I'll have my BIS instead.

Any help is appreciated.
    I've used my old blackberry as a modem from time to time and it's easy to setup. However i cannot confirm if your airtime data will be used instead of the BIS. For some reason i'm under the impression "standard data rates will apply". This is something you'll have to test unless someone here can shed some light

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus086 View Post
    I've used my old blackberry as a modem from time to time and it's easy to setup. However i cannot confirm if your airtime data will be used instead of the BIS. For some reason i'm under the impression "standard data rates will apply". This is something you'll have to test unless someone here can shed some light
    There's apparently a Desktop Manager program I can download and install that can allow for this, but, some say it works - others not. Some APN tweaking and other tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
    There's apparently a Desktop Manager program I can download and install that can allow for this, but, some say it works - others not. Some APN tweaking and other tweaking.
    Yea, you tend to get the software with the phone but i'd suggest downloading the latest version. I just never tested to see which data gets used be it BIS or airtime. Hope you get an answer.

Assassin of Accountants Ike_009's Avatar

Tried it a few times, always comes out my airtime though which is annoying. Maybe there is a work around but I have yet to see it.
    My ignore list: n/a

Obviously it'll use airtime not BIS. Else nobody else would bother buying data.

There were sketchy ways of still downloading tons but the SPs killed that (thank goodness).

Expect a subpar experience on the whole - the 3g connection via cellphone are usually inferior to using a 3g stick.

I occasionally use the hotspot feature on my cell in a jam though - at R2 per meg (ouch). That just for emergency mails etc.
    Last edited by HavocXphere; 05-01-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Remember when Vodacom tried to cap BIS a few years ago? It is because people managed to smash large downloads via their handsets and handsets paired up with PCs. Not sure if it works, but I know that cellular providers frown upon it. Which makes me want to encourage you to do it.
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.