Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: OMG, best news ever! (Narrative in gaming)

Default Opinion: OMG, best news ever! (Narrative in gaming)

I should give one of his books a read, just to see if it's really worth getting so excited over. Planescape Torment the only game you played with a good narrative? Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 not even get a mention?

Personally I think there have been a few games with decent narrative. Recently Bioshock springs to mind. Also agree with Isengard about Baldur's Gate. Also recently, Uncharted 2 had a great script and awesome characters, if not the most amazing storyline.

Im sure there are others that I am missing...

Anyways, looking forward to this Richard Morgan fellow working with EA
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-11-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Awesome piece.

And Tinman's right. Bioshock is about the only proper narrative driven game I can remember from recent memory.

* Okay, okay. Portal too. And Braid. And a whole bunch of others.
    I just kinda love hyperbole, though.

Having said that, I'm not entirely convinced that the Baldur's Gate games had especially compelling stories. It was pretty much the cookie cutter AD&D "omg kill the bad mage!!!111" through and through. Some decent writing in the dialogue here and there, perhaps, but the characters were all quite ... bland.

I thought minsc was really cool. GO FOR THE EYES BOO!! AAAAARRRRGH!!!

Minsc was one of the greatest game characters ever conceived. I don't remember ever laughing so much for any other.

Oh, yeah. Actually Minsc was really cool. I've always wanted my own miniature giant space hamster. :3

The first Baldur's Gate was a good game because of its gameplay. The story was pretty average and the dialogue forced and unnatural. I finally managed to finish it in the beginning of this year.

Planescape Torment is in a league of its own.