Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing - Which applications do you use?

Default Video Editing - Which applications do you use?

I've started with the idea of getting into Video editing. I'd like to make high quality videos - and for that I have my Canon EOS 60D with a few great lenses. The video quality is amazing, but of course I need to be able to edit the footage and add some effects and text here and there.

I've purchased Adobe After Effects to help out with this as it seems you can do a lot with it, and I also have Photoshop CS6 which can help with colour correction and basic cutting etc.

To those of you who've made some videos, maybe for youtube or the likes, what Video Editing software did you use?
    My ignore list: growing too fast to keep updating.

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

I am a video editor and used Sony Vegas 10 for a good few years before moving on to Adobe Premiere for one project and have now settled on Final Cut Pro X on Mac.

Sony Vegas or Premiere are probably the best PC edit programs available, although Vegas was the easiest for me to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by bradbear117 View Post
    I am a video editor and used Sony Vegas 10 for a good few years before moving on to Adobe Premiere for one project and have now settled on Final Cut Pro X on Mac.

Sony Vegas or Premiere are probably the best PC edit programs available, although Vegas was the easiest for me to get into.
    +1 for Sony Vegas. Great program. Before that I used to use Corel Video Studio but it's quite limited in what it can do.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

I learned Premier and After Effects, but I've never actually used them. Forgot almost all of it by now.

Does Sony Vegas have capabilities and features that you can't do in After Effects? From what I've been reading / watching, it seems like After Effects is a little more "worth while" to learn. Adobe Premier seems like overkill for the videos I want to make.

Sony Vegas for teh win

cyberlink powerdirector is pretty easy to use, received a copy of Powerdirector 11 with my dv cam a few years ago

Here's an example of a video that I'd like to be able to do. Notice the text effects and subtle effects like outlines and lines etc. Would I be able to do this with After Effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Does Sony Vegas have capabilities and features that you can't do in After Effects? From what I've been reading / watching, it seems like After Effects is a little more "worth while" to learn. Adobe Premier seems like overkill for the videos I want to make.
    No After Effects is definitely the better program, but going straight to that with no prior video-editing experience is pretty terrifying. Definitely worth while to learn that if you have the time/motivation.

Eastern Cape, about 70meters from the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Here's an example of a video that I'd like to be able to do. Notice the text effects and subtle effects like outlines and lines etc. Would I be able to do this with After Effects?

Seems like you want to do more on the compositing side of things and After Effects is the program for that for sure. You can do all that stuff with Vegas too, actually most video editors can do that but not on their own. They will have to be used in conjunction with photoshop or similar so you can have transparent layers etc.

Sony Vegas will have you up and editing within a day. After Effects is going to require some study. I opened After Effects once to check it out but I just don't have the time or need to learn it at this stage. I really should though.

edit* I suggest knuckling down with AE to get the exact results you want from the get go. Prepare for a steep learning curve but will be very much worth it in the end.