View Poll Results: You buy something and you aren't entirely happy with it, does some of the blame lie with you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

15 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: If you buy something and you aren't entirely happy...

Cool Poll: If you buy something and you aren't entirely happy...

If you buy something and you aren't entirely happy with your purchase, does some of the blame lie with you?
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

I voted yes: in 2014 most of us have access to the mighty Internet and thousands of reviews at the click of a button. If you didn't do proper research on an item, I feel that you are partially to blame for your unhappiness. If you buy something blindly or before all of the evidence has been made public (ie pre-order) then you are taking a risk and if it doesn't pan out you are responsible because you decided to take the risk.
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

You've asked for a simple yes or no and I don't think it us that straightforward. For example if I do my research and am forewarned about certain issues and still buy the item, I shouldn't be unhappy if the issues crop up that I'm aware of.

BUT

if I want to buy something when it is first released based on all the hype etc expecting it to work as advertised then I wouldn't shoulder any of the blame.

I don't expect to carry any risk when I buy a product at full value, my purchase price should cover sufficient R&D etc to address this!

Quote Originally Posted by Fivel View Post
    You've asked for a simple yes or no and I don't think it us that straightforward. For example if I do my research and am forewarned about certain issues and still buy the item, I shouldn't be unhappy if the issues crop up that I'm aware of.

BUT

if I want to buy something when it is first released based on all the hype etc expecting it to work as advertised then I wouldn't shoulder any of the blame.

I don't expect to carry any risk when I buy a product at full value, my purchase price should cover sufficient R&D etc to address this!
    Yep, I know it's not entirely that straightforward.

If you see an advertisement on TV promising something, let's use an infomercial as an example. Do you just take it at face value and buy the item because they said that's how it will work?

Or another example, Cell C claims to be the people's champion, fighting for low prices and they claim to have awesome signal coverage. Have you switched to then just because of their claims, or did you ask your friends / colleagues for their opinions and maybe searched for an article on MyBB comparing the different companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    Yep, I know it's not entirely that straightforward.

If you see an advertisement on TV promising something, let's use an infomercial as an example. Do you just take it at face value and buy the item because they said that's how it will work?

Or another example, Cell C claims to be the people's champion, fighting for low prices and they claim to have awesome signal coverage. Have you switched to then just because of their claims, or did you ask your friends / colleagues for their opinions and maybe searched for an article on MyBB comparing the different companies?
    I agree that you should do your research before you buy as many active forum members do, but let's also spare a thought for those folk who buy something on good faith that it would work as advertised, they shouldn't be labelled negatively.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

I'm going to say no. If I buy something, it means I already did my research on it, and from the information I had available I could only assume that it was worth my time or money. Anything that's wrong with it after that is purely because the product's marketing and/or reviews were misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivel View Post
    I agree that you should do your research before you buy as many active forum members do, but let's also spare a thought for those folk who buy something on good faith that it would work as advertised, they shouldn't be labelled negatively.
    I agree, those guys are perhaps brave, but I feel that they take a risk upon themselves when they buy something in good faith and if that risk backfires hopefully they will be willing to acknowledge that it was a risk that they took.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I'm going to say no. If I buy something, it means I already did my research on it, and from the information I had available I could only assume that it was worth my time or money. Anything that's wrong with it after that is purely because the product's marketing and/or reviews were misleading.
    Relying on a product's marketing is very dangerous in my opinion.

If the reviews were misleading, isn't it more a case of you not having read enough reviews, or not the correct reviews?

If the reviews were misleading, isn't it more a case of you not having read enough reviews, or not the correct reviews?
    Quite. That being said, I don't think I can remember the last time I bought something that really let me down. Maybe some stale buns from checkers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Quite. That being said, I don't think I can remember the last time I bought something that really let me down. Maybe some stale buns from checkers or something.
    Yep, my next pole would be something like: Have you ever bought a game that you were so bummed out with that you wanted to refund it but couldn't? I personally can't think of anything that I've bought that I would have wanted to refund, but I am quite picky about what I buy.

Yep, my next pole would be something like: Have you ever bought a game that you were so bummed out with that you wanted to refund it but couldn't?
    Yeah, Max Payne 3. Reviews were good, game looked really good, lots of positive feedback, and it turned about to be lame cut scene after lame cut scene with minimal gameplay. Hardly ever get a chance to get used to the controls. I stopped playing after about an hour (of cut scenes)