Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stereo Speakers with 5.1 Headphones

Default Stereo Speakers with 5.1 Headphones

Hey there, got a bit of a conundrum that I hope someone here has a possible fix for.

I got a pair of Turtle Beach z6a (the full 5.1 one's not the usb-only connection) about a month ago. I absolutely LOVE the sound, love the surround. But unfortunately, my pc is also my "movie theatre", and as such I have 2 stereo speakers for when the significant other and myself want to watch something.

The problem I'm having is that my headphones are setup as 5.1 surround, but speakers are obviously stereo. So in "Sound" (Win 7), I am constantly switching between 5.1 Setup and Stereo setup, otherwise I A) Don't get the proper 5.1 ear-honey I so crave while gaming or B)miss out on 60% of sounds in stereo when using speaker setup.

Is there a way I can configure my speakers to always get stereo (full sound) while my headphones always get 5.1?

The headphones come with splitters for the sound, which probably doesnt HELP matters, but I've tried setting up speakers in the front port and pretending they're the headphones, but i still only have 1 audio output streaming it through.

Anyone have any ideas so i dont constantly have to be switching between sound config every time i switch between speakeres and headphones?

...apologies if my message isn't clear, ask and I will clarify

Your message is clear

Windows 8 manages all different sound devices independently.

I'm sure someone else would be able to give you a simpler solution

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  50.9 KB

Do you plug both your headphones and speakers into the same place?
    Last edited by FriedPet; 13-08-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Until yesterday I had speakers plugged into the splitter that the headphones has, but started seeing if i cant make them 2 devices if i plug in speakers in front panel "headphone" jack.
    Well even if headphones are in back (4 jacks plugged in) and speakers are in front jack, my pc still only sees it as one "device" called speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by mottamort View Post
    Until yesterday I had speakers plugged into the splitter that the headphones has, but started seeing if i cant make them 2 devices if i plug in speakers in front panel "headphone" jack.
    Well even if headphones are in back (4 jacks plugged in) and speakers are in front jack, my pc still only sees it as one "device" called speakers...
    Are you using the pre-packaged audio software and drivers or you using windows drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieChoke View Post
    Are you using the pre-packaged audio software and drivers or you using windows drivers?
    Motherboard (GA-Z77-D3H) drivers (VIA Audio), why? I have other "devices" in my sound config panel, but they're all HDMI/SDPIF outlet from my gfx card. when home i can show a screenshot if it helps...

Do you have flexible audio I/O ports? i.e if you plug in a device on an audio output port, does it allow you to specify the I/O device?

As in if i plug in my microphone into the subwoofer jack does it go "what device did you plug in? is this a microphone?" Yes, i can change jack specification

Niiiice, a non-USB 5.1 headset. Unfortunately that's what's giving you grief. If it were a USB headset Windows would automatically change default sound device when you plug it in and out.

Jack specification is iffy and you won't achieve much playing around with audio devices and Windows can only have one audio device at a time. Changing jack configuration probably won't work, but try it... your MB drivers might be able to do it.

A half-decent sound card should manage this for you easily. My sound card software has a setting for plugging in multiple devices at the same time and each with a different output stream.

Or maybe an adapter for your speakers? Then Windows would auto reconfigure every time you plug them in out out. Maybe there's a 5.1 adapter (I didn't search too deeply)

Name:  12-186-035-03.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  7.3 KB
    Last edited by Ser_Bunnylot; 19-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser_Bunnylot View Post

A half-decent sound card should manage this for you easily. My sound card software has a setting for plugging in multiple devices at the same time and each with a different output stream.

Name:  12-186-035-03.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  7.3 KB
    Which soundcard would that be? that is almost exactly what i'm looking for hehe. I have onboard as well as an old Cobra something lying around (which i learnt was roughly as good as current onboard due to its age, so didn't bother using)

Well unfortunately it DOES need usb for power, but yea, its the 5.1 Jack one. Straight from Hong Kong

I've been reading online and apparently even if I stick in a soundcard and plug each one seperately, as you say windows (7) will only allow 1 device at a time (by design apparently), but maybe that'll make things SLIGHTLY less annoying. Coz sometimes im in 5.1 from last nights gaming session and i wanna play something so i go into it forgetting to change first, notice voices (center speaker) is off and i have to EXIT the game (changing from 5.1 to stereo whilst in a game seems to break sound hehe). With 2 devices I think i'd at least be able to swith on the fly....maybe.

Wouldnt i run into the same problem with an adapter though? or would it automatically change from stereo to 5.1 (and then hopefully back to 5.1 when plugged out). although with where my jacks are it might actually be more effort to pop in/out USB every time i wanna use stereo :P

As always, thanks for the responses

I'm not 100% sure about whether the adapter would work. I'm about 93.7% sure My assumption is based on previous experience with USB headsets. From the expensive ones to the cheapo ones, when you plug them in Windows switches the audio device as USB sound is handled by a different controller. These adapters aren't expensive so I think it would be worth a try.

I use the Xonar Phoebus. But even the cheapest soundcard will almost always be better than onboard sound. And even something as simple as the Xonar DG should work for you. If the card can't handle multiple output streams what you can do is plug your headphones into the soundcard (headphone amp!) and plug your speakers into onboard. Then on playback devices you can switch between them quite easily.
    Last edited by Ser_Bunnylot; 20-08-2014 at 09:39 AM.