Page 74 of 188 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Elite Dangerous Thread

I think it's more fun to make money slowly in this game. Other wise it becomes one massive grind to get to the "end-game"

In my case, I have a decent amount of cash, mostly made from bounty hunting, missions and exploration. Maybe 5% of it is from trading / smuggling. And it took me a long time to get there, but it's been a fun ride. Lately we've been playing around with UAs to see how they react to planet surfaces. It's been quite a lot of fun.
    Please keep all extremities tucked in...

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    I've just got the game. Only played about an hour. Just wondering if I'm missing out on anything by only having the base game?

Still finding my feet though, kind of still feel a little lost. How do you find missions, do you randomly go from station to station until you find ones that are available for you? Also getting use to the controls, so many buttons.
    only thing you're missing out on is your money
    Horizons cost more than the base game and it includes the base game.

My advice for beginners. stay around the starter areas and maybe begin with some bounties which you can easily find at any local nav beacon. this will earn you some decent cash and rep/promotions to unlock more missions. slave smuggling is easy money and can pay anywhere between 100k and 200k in the beginning.

Alternatively fit your ship with a detailed surface scanner (once you can afford one) and go out looking for unexplored astronomical objects. takes more time to make semi decent money though and you can only sell that data to a system that's more than 20Ly away

Quote Originally Posted by MalicE View Post
    only thing you're missing out on is your money
    Horizons cost more than the base game and it includes the base game.

My advice for beginners. stay around the starter areas and maybe begin with some bounties which you can easily find at any local nav beacon. this will earn you some decent cash and rep/promotions to unlock more missions. slave smuggling is easy money and can pay anywhere between 100k and 200k in the beginning.

Alternatively fit your ship with a detailed surface scanner (once you can afford one) and go out looking for unexplored astronomical objects. takes more time to make semi decent money though and you can only sell that data to a system that's more than 20Ly away
    I would advise new players to move away from the central star systems are quickly as possible. Mostly due to the fact that running into someone malicious has a higher chance to happen in the central / starting systems. Also stay away from Leesti / Lave systems. I almost always get attacked or interdicted there.

Quote Originally Posted by axon1988 View Post
    I think it's more fun to make money slowly in this game. Other wise it becomes one massive grind to get to the "end-game"

In my case, I have a decent amount of cash, mostly made from bounty hunting, missions and exploration. Maybe 5% of it is from trading / smuggling. And it took me a long time to get there, but it's been a fun ride. Lately we've been playing around with UAs to see how they react to planet surfaces. It's been quite a lot of fun.
    So to prevent a quick grind you recommend a slow grind?
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

I would advise new players to move away from the central star systems are quickly as possible. Mostly due to the fact that running into someone malicious has a higher chance to happen in the central / starting systems. Also stay away from Leesti / Lave systems. I almost always get attacked or interdicted there.
    ah, yes. I forgot about those Beo types

They seem to have increased soon as elite went on sale

The NPCs make life hard enough as it is

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    So to prevent a quick grind you recommend a slow grind?
    Well, it never felt like grinding to me :P

Well, it never felt like grinding to me :P
    Yeah, same here.

Quote Originally Posted by MalicE View Post
    ah, yes. I forgot about those Beo types

They seem to have increased soon as elite went on sale

The NPCs make life hard enough as it is
    Wait until you start smuggling missions, especially the high value missions. NPC interdictions are rife!

Interdicted, escape... interdicted, escape... jump... interdicted, "I've found you!", escape... repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BeoTeK View Post
    Wait until you start smuggling missions, especially the high value missions. NPC interdictions are rife!

Interdicted, escape... interdicted, escape... jump... interdicted, "I've found you!", escape... repeat.
    I'm getting that now and I don't even have a cargo hold

So there is a way to get past this. Although the recent more aggressive AI sure have made it tougher. And some might consider it a cheat of sorts... depending on your point of view.

Basically when you are smuggling and you jump to a new system, you can tell when an NPC is about to try and interdict you by looking at your radar. You'll see it leveling behind you and getting in range. There's a way of getting them to "stop"
    So what you do is try to get some decent speed built up, flying away from the star, and then if you see an NPC get into position to interdict, you do a 180 and fly towards the sun. So once the NPC also turns around and when they get into position you just throttle down to 0 and watch as they zoom past you straight into the star.

Lately it has become quite a bit tougher to do, but it can be rewarding in it's own little way.

The only thing you're really missing is planetary landing and the ability to use an SRV. Frankly I think the base game is worth it's now asking price, ~R250 I think you would have paid?

Be sure to check out previous post from yesterday. Hammer was also having a hard time getting bearings and what to do.
    http://mygaming.co.za/forum/showthre...=1#post1190219
    Awesome thanks. Got it as an xmas present from a friend. I've figured I need to sink some time into it before I really get the hang of it. I'm still pretty horrible at landing. The game looks really interesting, just have so many games to get to, my backlog has only got worse over the holidays.