Thread: 150Mbps LTE A vs 100Mbps fibre – South African prices

Default 150Mbps LTE A vs 100Mbps fibre – South African prices

150Mbps LTE A vs 100Mbps fibre – SA prices

Telkom recently announced that Parkview and Parkhurst would be the first suburbs in Johannesburg to receive its new 150Mbps LTE Advanced service

If I have coverage for this LTE-A service next year, it will be the answer to all my prayers.

It seems a little too good to be true though, as Telkom is currently offering a standard LTE connection with a 50GB cap for home users for R1700 odd, and a business-only LTE-based service (2MBps) with 100GB cap for R1700. The 150Mbps LTE-A service is both faster and cheaper, so I wonder if it will be available for an average Joe like me. Does anyone know if they intend this to be used as a business-only solution and if not, will standard LTE be getting significantly cheaper once this is launched?

I don't normally address the mods directly, but Jan, you seem to be in the know or have connections to people in the know. Could someone at MyGaming or MyBroadband get hold of this info?

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
    If I have coverage for this LTE-A service next year, it will be the answer to all my prayers.

It seems a little too good to be true though, as Telkom is currently offering a standard LTE connection with a 50GB cap for home users for R1700 odd, and a business-only LTE-based service (2MBps) with 100GB cap for R1700. The 150Mbps LTE-A service is both faster and cheaper, so I wonder if it will be available for an average Joe like me. Does anyone know if they intend this to be used as a business-only solution and if not, will standard LTE be getting significantly cheaper once this is launched?

I don't normally address the mods directly, but Jan, you seem to be in the know or have connections to people in the know. Could someone at MyGaming or MyBroadband get hold of this info?
    Im also incredibly excited about the possibilities of affordable LTE connectivity. The rate at which telkom lines "go missing" is ridiculous... Im purely using 3G where i am at the moment, and its working like a dream... The 8ta 60gig+60gig package is a win... If i would do this on LTE I would be incredibly happy...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Im also incredibly excited about the possibilities of affordable LTE connectivity. The rate at which telkom lines "go missing" is ridiculous... Im purely using 3G where i am at the moment, and its working like a dream... The 8ta 60gig+60gig package is a win... If i would do this on LTE I would be incredibly happy...
    I have something similar - the monthly 10GB+10GB promo using just 3G HSDPA/HSUPA and it works really well for what you pay, but I'd love the low-latency of LTE and the speed of FTTH even if it costs R1400 a month.

I have something similar - the monthly 10GB+10GB promo using just 3G HSDPA/HSUPA and it works really well for what you pay, but I'd love the low-latency of LTE and the speed of FTTH even if it costs R1400 a month.
    Ya well at the moment im buying that 60+60 package about once every 3 months... So its working out to about R600.00 a month... But i must admit i would abuse an uncapped connection way more... but at the moment what i get for what i pay considering its 3G im happy... Meets all my gaming requirements... and I stream a LOT of video...

But like you i would love the low-latency and the speed of LTE... Im looking for a decent LTE router that will take a sim card, they just not cheap...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    But like you i would love the low-latency and the speed of LTE... Im looking for a decent LTE router that will take a sim card, they just not cheap...
    Hang on a minute here. What am I missing about how LTE works? Doesn't it operate like any other cellular protocol, through a sim card?

Hang on a minute here. What am I missing about how LTE works? Doesn't it operate like any other cellular protocol, through a sim card?
    That's it. I use it with an LTE Router that I got from Telkom.
    That's what she said.

The Dork Knight.