Thread: Woo! Load shedding, woo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Quote Originally Posted by blaaislaai View Post
    I often wonder, when the power comes back on, are there any spikes higher than usual compared to switching something on via the plug on the wall? If so, then that can probably be the cause for appliances dying earlier.
    Yup, that crossed my mind too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

Rather safe than sorry, I don't think damage can be caused while an appliance is switched off though. But with a PC, it's just extra safe to take that precaution.

I often wonder, when the power comes back on, are there any spikes higher than usual compared to switching something on via the plug on the wall? If so, then that can probably be the cause for appliances dying earlier.
    Damage can definitely be caused when your devices are plugged in, but switched off.

I am going to give a basic-technical explanation for this now, so if you don't care then stop reading:
    Electricity is distributed to your house via a base-station (you know, those large scary-looking electrical palaces that you see here there and everywhere). There is a lot of cabling and wiring between your house and a base-station, there is even more between that base-station and all the other houses and businesses that are provided power from it. A lot of cabling and wiring creates a giant inductor (you might know these from school as the twisty pieces of wire in a circuit that create a magnetic field i.e. not the resistor and not the capacitor). When you apply a large change in voltage to an inductor, such as turning on a 240V supply (as they do when they restore power during load-shedding) then the large inductor requires energy to create its magnetic field initially. It does this by drawing a large amount of current in a short space of time. Current from this spike (which is typically larger than the spikes from just turning devices on) can then be fed through to all your sensitive devices such as Motherboards, Playstations and Xbones, thereby damaging or destroying them.

TL;DR: Unplug your sensitive electronics during load-shedding, they can break if you don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

@StaggerLee

Makes perfectly sense, however when we are at work and loadshedding happens at home, you're kinda screwed.

We don't want to unplug the fridge, for example, food becoming bad and all that.

Can one claim from insurance if appliances die due to loadshedding?
    4690k @4.5ghz |CM SEIDON 120V PLUS |CM HAF 932 |ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | 16GB DDR3 | 2x Saphire RX480 Nitro+ OC| 2x256GB SSD RAID0 | 850w Corsair PSU

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

Electricity went off for around 3 mins before turning on again. Just thankful my PC didn't take a punishing hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

On a side note,

The probability of loadshedding today again, is HIGH - As per ESKOM's twitter page
    4690k @4.5ghz |CM SEIDON 120V PLUS |CM HAF 932 |ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | 16GB DDR3 | 2x Saphire RX480 Nitro+ OC| 2x256GB SSD RAID0 | 850w Corsair PSU

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

@StaggerLee

Makes perfectly sense, however when we are at work and loadshedding happens at home, you're kinda screwed.

We don't want to unplug the fridge, for example, food becoming bad and all that.

Can one claim from insurance if appliances die due to loadshedding?
    Ja, definitely. I wouldn't recommend unplugging your fridge. You can buy surge protectors for devices like your fridge, washing machine etc. but get the full, single plug surge protectors (they look like big red boxes) not the multiplugs. The multiplug devices don't work very well, usually because they are overloaded. Ellies makes the good ones and the less effective multiplug versions. Go for the bigger, more effective ones, it's worth it. The big ones are much more expensive however. Also, Ellies gives you a two year guarantee up to R20k if your device breaks through the surge protector.

You could also get one for your PC if you don't want to unplug it everyday. I unplug mine everyday because I am afraid of lightning :P I was struck earlier this year and it has made me super-paranoid.

As for insurance, you probably can claim. I think the difficulty comes in proving that the breakage is due to load-shedding because it usually happens over multiple on/off cycles and the insurance company can easily get away with saying it's age-effect or a manufacturing fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Stage 2 load shedding from 5pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Name:  tumblr_ma61fx67lY1rg0lgoo1_500.gif
Views: 35
Size:  879.1 KB

Now I'll be in the dark AGAIN from 6 to 8. This sucks big ass!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies MyGaming Champion Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    And once again none for me. I love the fact that we get a second notification about the fact that city of cape town users wont be affected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

I'll be off until 8:30 unless City Power is nice to us.