MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonic View Post
    2.6.3 was fine for me though.
    My specs are:
    i5 4590
    16 GB Ram
    GTX 980
    Where’s your SC installed? Seems that people are getting better results running off a SSD, and especially if it’s a secondary drive. Either way, if it is on a secondary drive make sure pagefile is set to managed by Windows for that drive. (Seems that by default pagefiling is only turned on for your primary drive.)

The other things I did were disable V-Sync in the NVidia control panel, and in-game I also turned off V-Sync, motion blur, and something else I can’t remember off hand (chromatic abboration maybe? Will check later when back home.)

I also shut down everything that runs I the background in the taskbar that I could - especially Steam and Nvidia overlays allegedly cause issues.

I honestly don’t know which (if any!) of these changes made any real difference but before on a default install I was getting around 15fps. After the changes I get 25-30fps fairly consistently. (Admittedly I do have slightly stronger specs than you - Ryzen 1700, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM - but the frame rate definitely improved for me.)

One last thing, if you’re like me and play in the evening here in SA, change the server location from Best to AUS. The convict offspring have generally passed out by then and their server seems the most responsive then.

Also, I initially did have a lot of Bored’s suggestions in a config file as well but saw no difference both before and after I made these changes. I kept most of his Windows and system suggestions that weren’t already setup correctly in place and removed the config file from my SC directory - no change noticed at all.

I still need to remember to add the user list from the OP into my SC contacts, and once I do maybe we can meet up in the PU and try a mission or two together.

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

My specs are:
    i5 4590
    16 GB Ram
    GTX 980
    3.0 is exponentially more complex than 2.6.3 was. Greg provided some solid advice above. One thing I want to add: 4 cores / 4 threads just won't cut it currently. I suspect things will improve with more optimization, but everyone I've talked to that has a quad-core without some form of hyperthreading seems to be suffering from poor performance. I know from experience that 3.0 pushes all 12 the cores on my Ryzen 1600 to at least 70%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

My specs are:
    i5 4590
    16 GB Ram
    GTX 980
    I have the same GPU and also 16GB RAM, but an i7 6700K. Updated the game during the night, so I'll give it a go a bit later and see how it runs. Added bonus is that my primary screen is a 1440p, so that might hurt

Star Citizen will be a good excuse to upgrade my GPU perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Update:

This game runs like ass, and I'm not sure why. GPU usage at about 80% (though it goes up and down a lot), CPU usage at about 60% or so, but I get horrible frame skipping and its just slow and unplayable.

Can't believe I downloaded 35GB for this, meh.

Guess I'll give it ago again in another years time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Lol Blazzok.
    So I tried again this morning, getting out of the bunk was terrible as usual, but by the time I got down to the ship spawn it started to stabalise around 15-20fps and felt much better. Didn't really play much as I'm getting done for work, just checked out the shops and realised my ship has absolutely nothing installed lol.

I'll try again tonight and see.
    I did close Steam, firefox, PlaysTV and Razer Cortex. I'll try again tonight, with and without those.
    DALA SQUAD
    Loud, Proud and Ombeskof

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Update:

This game runs like ass, and I'm not sure why. GPU usage at about 80% (though it goes up and down a lot), CPU usage at about 60% or so, but I get horrible frame skipping and its just slow and unplayable.

Can't believe I downloaded 35GB for this, meh.

Guess I'll give it ago again in another years time.
    As we've pointed out, your PC is not the issue here. Assuming you have a moderately decent PC (which you do), the bottleneck is due to lack of optimization, which is normal for an alpha where they are actively adding new features all the time.

The planned March release will apparently bring quite a few optimizations that they've been working on a for some time, so if all goes well the game will run better after that. However, even now, if you switch instances a few times, you may just hit on a server that runs well. Be sure to pick EU, or if you play late in the day, give the Aus server a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepslag View Post
    As we've pointed out, your PC is not the issue here. Assuming you have a moderately decent PC (which you do), the bottleneck is due to lack of optimization, which is normal for an alpha where they are actively adding new features all the time.

The planned March release will apparently bring quite a few optimizations that they've been working on a for some time, so if all goes well the game will run better after that. However, even now, if you switch instances a few times, you may just hit on a server that runs well. Be sure to pick EU, or if you play late in the day, give the Aus server a try.
    I'll rather wait for March then, but its my fault I guess. I quick googling would probably have showed that performance can/will be poor, etc. and I could have saved myself some time.

Oh well, are the updates smaller these days atleast? Previously I remember it was a case of almost redownloading the whole game each time a new version was released.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    I'll rather wait for March then, but its my fault I guess. I quick googling would probably have showed that performance can/will be poor, etc. and I could have saved myself some time.

Oh well, are the updates smaller these days atleast? Previously I remember it was a case of almost redownloading the whole game each time a new version was released.
    Assuming you installed the new launcher that came with v3.0, then yes. I tested it extensively while 3.0 was in public test phase, and it works brilliantly. Patches are down to a few hundred MB instead of 30GB at a time. Hopefully this also means they will be able to roll out fixes and updates much more frequently than before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Is the game only 35Gb to download? I deleted my old version because of performance issues. At the time, I was also running an i7, 16GB, GTX 970. Now, I've got the Threadripper 1950X, 32Gb quad channel, and GTX 1080. Will be interesting to see if it uses the 32 threads. I'll put it on the 960 EVO NVme drive.
    Last edited by CyberDemon; 09-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CyberDemon View Post
    Is the game only 35Gb to download? I deleted my old version because of performance issues. At the time, I was also running an i7, 16GB, GTX 970. Now, I've got the Threadripper 1950X, 32Gb quad channel, and GTX 1080. Will be interesting to see if it uses the 32 threads. I'll put it on the 960 EVO NVme drive.
    Alpha 3.0 is somewhere between 35 and 40GB, yes. It will indeed be interesting to see what Threadripper does with it. Give it a go!