Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Star Citizen Thread

Since having been forced to download the latest launcher (why can't it update the launcher automatically like 99% of other games), I am now no longer able to update the game. It just now keeps on saying unable to find update path...
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

Did you uninstall the game completely?

How big is the beta?

I was reading the full game would be like 100gb...

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Download size is around 26GB inc patches.
    From page 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    Did you uninstall the game completely?
    Nope, I just downloaded the new installer and pointed it at the same folder where my old files were.

Apparently I am not alone in this problem and users have reported that if you tell the launcher to repair the files it only downloads a few MB and then works. Did this last night, but due to incredibly slow download speeds I could not see if it was actually successful or not.
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzak View Post
    Nope, I just downloaded the new installer and pointed it at the same folder where my old files were.

Apparently I am not alone in this problem and users have reported that if you tell the launcher to repair the files it only downloads a few MB and then works. Did this last night, but due to incredibly slow download speeds I could not see if it was actually successful or not.
    Did the other people also not follow the instructions?

Specifically:

• Click the Start button at the bottom left of Windows.
    • Click on All Programs, then click on the Star Citizen folder.
    • Click Uninstall.

So... still busy downloading. Got 12GB to go and downloading at a measly 190kB/s on a 4Mbps line which should be able to do double that.

This is by far their dumbest move ever. There was definitely a way to salvage some of the old data, but it looks like they were just too lazy to bother.

Default Star Citizen assets leaked

Star Citizen has seen a sizeable leak of unreleased resources to a few members of the public, after a community manager posted a partial URL in a screenshot. Someone guessed the rest and... well.

Around 48GB of work in progress assets have been acquired by — at least — a couple of people outside Cloud Imperium Games, and though the guessed link has now been shut down by CIG, the assets are Out There.

People have thus been loading the assets up in Cryengine, seeing as that's what Star Citizen is being made in, and looked around. This has resulted in things like this:

As the video intro and the notes mention, these are incomplete assets run through an base level CryEngine install (CIG have a number of proprietary CE modules at work), and were clearly not meant for public release in their current WIP state.

Still very impressed at the level of detail evident in the Bengal Carrier (which, incidentally is not the largest ship that will be in the game!).

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Video update from Tactical Advance YT channel, just to keep the Star Citizen thread alive...

Reason for sharing this one specifically:
    1 > It's all about progress on the upcoming FPS module Star Marine.
    2 > It has some of the best Star Marine video and screen grabs all in one place.
    3 > It talks about improvements to the Match Making system which should (hopefully) make for some excellent PvP action.

Last edited by GregRedd; 11-06-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Star Citizen continues its development with the release of Alpha 1.1.6

We are pleased to announce that Star Citizen Alpha 1.1.6 is now live!
    Name:  Gladius5-w1024-h1024.png
Views: 19
Size:  944.9 KB
    1.1.6 includes the brand new Star Citizen launcher, a number of bug fixes and balance changes. You can find the complete patch notes here.

Alpha 1.1.6 introduces matchmaking logic that will now match players against each other based on past performance, as well as made several changes to rules of Vanduul Swarm, Battle Royale, and Squadron Battle.

Also, we are deprecating the old Launcher v1.6.3 with the new Launcher v2.3.4 today, which drastically improves download speeds, using up to 100% of your available bandwidth. It also currently uses non-P2P torrent technology to only replace the files you need. This Launcher is also built 100% in-house (as opposed to the old one that used third party technology) so we’re excited to continue to improve the user experience and integrate more user-friendly features at the click of a button.

1.You’ll first want to uninstall the old version of the game as the old Launcher will no longer allow you to log in.
    2.Next, install the new version from https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download.

For further instructions and known issues with Launcher v2.3.4, please click here.
    I'm hugely happy that they've eventually done something about the download speeds, and dropped the need for huge, repetitive downloads every time a new patch is released.

I'm hugely pissed that I finished the 3rd of 3 overnight download sessions last night to get the previous version installed on my recently replaced SSD, only to have them change the launcher and tell me a day later that I'll need to reinstall everything from scratch again as the old launcher will no longer let me log in

CIG are also at Gamescom again this year, and will be doing a presentation late tomorrow evening that most backers are hoping will include more details, info and game play from the FPS module "Star Marine". Will post up any decent video footage I can find here over the weekend.

~ Jedi Master Yoda ~