Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Star Citizen Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GregRedd View Post
    Besides, us with capped accounts on crappy connections need to be very selective about how we use our bandwidth. I'm doing this update only because I've had a quiet month online, my Mad Max preload is done, and I've got enough bandwidth to spare. Else it would've had to wait until I was next up after midnight to start it during Night Surfer hours.
    Yep, and then there's the actual download time.
    When an anti-piracy method is affecting the game for people who legitimately bought it and causing other people not to buy the game, there is obviously something wrong with it!

Some pretty concerning news about Star Citizen on The Escapist.

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes

Man I'm really looking forward to this game, even with the weird pre-order crowdfunding structure for additional ships and such.

Hopefully this is like Steve Jobs being hard on employees and some cracking under the pressure, then spreading whatever talk they heard in the hallways.

This is a pretty hard-hitting article by The Escapist, though.

Essentially it accuses Roberts and his wife of serious misconduct. I know we wouldn't run something like this on MyBroadband unless we were sure about our sources because if you're wrong the repercussions can be devastating.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post

Man I'm really looking forward to this game, even with the weird pre-order crowdfunding structure for additional ships and such.

Hopefully this is like Steve Jobs being hard on employees and some cracking under the pressure, then spreading whatever talk they heard in the hallways.

Essentially it accuses Roberts and his wife of serious misconduct. I know we wouldn't run something like this on MyBroadband unless we were sure about our sources because if you're wrong the repercussions can be devastating.
    I've been very concerned about this project since shortly after I backed it. All the controversy surrounding it at the moment isn't helping my confidence at all. I still hope it turns out alright though.

Here's Chris Roberts' response.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    Dam that is a long read :S

Well I hope it will not become a Titianic.
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

Morning fellow Citizens!

(Full disclosure, even though I know it's going to age me: I've been a fan of Chris Roberts' games for 25 years (his movies, not so much ) since the first Wing Commander. Also, in case it's not obvious enough, I've pledged well above the minimum to Star Citizen.)

When I first read the article [MENTION=289]Jan[/MENTION] mentions my immediate thought was "what a load of kak!" In the planet's most litigious nation, a quarter of that alleged misconduct would have had the aggrieved staff members queuing outside the offices of every HR and discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles. They certainly wouldn't be "reaching out" to an internet "journalist" to air their grievances on their behalf. They'd be suing the shit out of CIG for harassment, unfair dismissal, employment discrimination.

Besides that, it now seems that many of the quotes from these anonymous staff "sources" that "reached out" to the Escapist, were possibly largely based on a set of faked Glassdoor reviews. (https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...ces_uncovered/)

The author has quoted verbatim from a series of negative reviews on the Glassdoor site, most of which were posted there within a very short space of time 2 days before the Escapist article was posted, and all of which follow similar formats, language usage, etc. One of these reviews was supposedly posted by a CIG employee in Australia (there's no CIG office in Australia), another use phrases that are typical of Derek Smart such as "it's a ponzi-scheme", and many are just obviously fake (at least in my mind they are.)

Glassdoor does not having any form of vetting system or confirmation of employment process (despite claiming that their admins do this before releasing a review). A redditor recently tested their system by posting a fake negative review of CIG to the site. (https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/..._proof_of_bad/) It appeared live on the site next day without any vetting whatsoever having happened.

In fairness, Roberts' response letter that [MENTION=17]MetalSoup[/MENTION] linked to above bugged me as well. Throughout this Smart versus Star Citizen campaign CIG and Roberts have remained pretty much distant. Which was in my mind the best approach to take. That said, after the harsh insinuations levelled against his wife, and especially the use of his children in Smarts' smear campaign, I'm glad he did it. A man's got to defend his family, especially when his children are being dragged into things.

The subreddits and forum boards are ablaze this morning again with the rabid fanboys and the solid detractors hammering on at each other. The vitriol from both sides is both amusing and sad at the same time. Especially when you realise that they are raging on about a computer game. I ain't going to bore you with anymore of it.

Suffice to say that I'm more than happy to engage, advise, inform anyone who has a genuine interest in the game in anyway that I can. Until then, happy Friday y'all!

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

(Full disclosure, even though I know it's going to age me: I've been a fan of Chris Roberts' games for 25 years (his movies, not so much ) since the first Wing Commander. Also, in case it's not obvious enough, I've pledged well above the minimum to Star Citizen.)
    That's the reason I backed Star Citizen as well. I'm not as <caugh>old</caugh> a supporter, but I've been an inadvertent fan of his work since I first played Strike Commander as a kid, moving onto the newer Wing Commander games and Freelancer when they released.

Here's hoping there is not a grain of truth to the claims The Escapist ended up publishing, as Roberts suggested in his response.

Very interesting information regarding the Glassdoor reviews, thanks for that. It still concerns me that The Escapist says that seven sources identified themselves to the publication, but were kept anonymous to protect them. The Reddit thread by MisterBurkes doesn't fully cover them all, it seems.

That said, I would be skittish about publishing claims about the kind of e-mail Sandi Gardiner wrote without actually seeing them. The writer doesn't mention laying eyes on the e-mails, but maybe it's just a detail she omitted from the article.

Anyway, we have both sides of the story now at least. The Escapist has also incorporated some of Roberts' response into the original article.

If anything, this has made me keen to see if I can finally download some of the game and take it for a spin.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Wall o'text
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't have a change to check out the subreddit yet, so you just saved me a bunch of time.

Basically, it's exactly what I suspected.. DS is trying his utmost to be a ds, and is trolling a masterstroke. How he got Escapist to fall for his bullshit is beyond me.

I'm in no way dismissive of fair criticism and concern over the project; there are legitimate questions about how the funds from the crowdfunding are being spent, and the how transparent CIG are required to be is to be determined. But this is new territory, after all.. We've never seen a project of this magnitude come from crowd funding, and Roberts is making it up as he goes along. In my opinion, if that makes you uncomfortable, you shouldn't back the project - it is, in essence, a pre-order, and all of the anti-pre-order things we've seen lately also applies.

I have to agree with you, though. The accusations leveled are very serious, and much too serious to go to a gaming website/magazine to about. I call bs.

If anything, this has made me keen to see if I can finally download some of the game and take it for a spin.
    If you haven't started yet, I'd hold off on the download for a couple of weeks. The assets are still not anywhere near a decently optimised state and you're looking at a +30GB download at the moment. That'll get you the more recent versions of the Hangar module and Arena Commander (the dog-fighting bit) and the first version of the Social Module (fairly limited area to wander around in, zero interaction with others besides basic emotes and text chat).

The annual CitizenCon takes place next Saturday (10 Oct) and we're expecting some pretty big updates to arrive soon after that. Talk includes the first version of Arena Commander that will enable multi-crew ship use; a first version of the FPS module Star Marine; and a big update patch for the Social Module (including more areas to visit, greater interactivity with the environment and shops, and possibly a first look at the NPC AI and character customisation tool).

Of course, all of this will mean a significantly larger download anyway and sadly there's still no confirmation of whether an enhanced incremental launcher tool will be coming soon. Obviously you could pass off downloading +30GBs now and another +40GBs in a couple of weeks as business expenses for research purposes and use MyBB/MyG high speed data connection to do it. Us ADSL dependant saps, not so much

- - - - - - - - - - Double Post Merged - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, and one other thing that's expected at CitCon next week is an announcement regarding the cast used for Squadron 42 - the single player standalone game that should precede Star Citizen itself. Lots of talk of Mark Hamill in a cameo role...

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Anyone watching the stream? They've shown some amazing things so far, especially regarding Squadron 42.

Last edited by MetalSoup; 10-10-2015 at 11:04 PM.