Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New PC, What to replace?

Question New PC, What to replace?

Hi Guys,

I want to get a few parts for my machine.

Currently I am sitting with the following

Intel E2220 Dual Core 2.4Ghz CPU
    2 GB of cheapo RAM
    ATi Radeon HD 4670 GPU
    450 watt power supply
    Cheapo Asus mobo

What should I replace? should the graphics go? Whats your opinion, also what is better the i5 or the Phenom/Athlon keeping price in mind.

What have you guys currently got?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Dynamix View Post
    Hi Guys,

I want to get a few parts for my machine.

Currently I am sitting with the following

Intel E2220 Dual Core 2.4Ghz CPU
    2 GB of cheapo RAM
    ATi Radeon HD 4670 GPU
    450 watt power supply
    Cheapo Asus mobo

What should I replace? should the graphics go? Whats your opinion, also what is better the i5 or the Phenom/Athlon keeping price in mind.

What have you guys currently got?
    first we need a budget. what are the max you are going to spent.
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

The thing that should not be Tsar's Avatar

For price the Phenom is a great deal. I have a phenom black edition 2.61ghz. I would get a new graphic card first then get a phenom.

howsit guys, thanks for the response.

I am looking to spend about R6000. Any ideas? I was also considering the Phenom, I think the i5 is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Dynamix View Post
    howsit guys, thanks for the response.

I am looking to spend about R6000. Any ideas? I was also considering the Phenom, I think the i5 is overrated
    then you will need to replace the mobo

up the ram to 4gb, get a quad core 2 extreme,

whats wrong with the current mobo?

Problem is that I have to replace the mobo if I am changing the processor, maybe i should just get a higher end core2duo, then again maybe not. Also the current mobo I have has absolutely no overclocking functions.

What's the diffs between the normal ram on the expensive "performance" ram, is there a clear difference?

Where is the cheapest spot to get this stuff, maybe importing?

Try www.sybaritic.co.za or www.computersonly.co.za or www.rebeltech.co.za (awesome prices) - I've ordered from computersonly in JNB and got my stuff two days later.

Nothing wrong with the Core 2 Duo range by the way - or look at the Core 2 Quad range - 9400/9500 that way you keep your mobo (if it's a 775 like I think) and have extra cash to spend on graphics, RAM and beer.
    Last edited by Murph; 11-01-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Try www.sybaritic.co.za or www.computersonly.co.za or www.rebeltech.co.za (awesome prices) - I've ordered from computersonly in JNB and got my stuff two days later.

Nothing wrong with the Core 2 Duo range by the way - or look at the Core 2 Quad range - 9400/9500 that way you keep your mobo (if it's a 775 like I think) and have extra cash to spend on graphics, RAM and beer.
    Thanks for the links. Yeah was considering the Core 2 Quad. By the way have you had experience with buying from overseas? Someone (Not here) mentioned http://www.ewiz.com what do you think, they ship internationally and their prices are excellent.

I see the i3 is out overseas. Maybe with their prices could get that and a new mobo

I haven't yet ordered PC components from overseas yet. The prices may look good on "paper", but add shipping, customs surcharges (which range from reasonable to insane depending on the items), tax etc and you may find that buying it locally may save you a lot of hassles. Keeping track of your R6000 order is also easier when it's confined to one country, not going from USA to UK then South Africa. Just my 2 cents there!

From what I've read, under correction that is, the i3 is not much more impressive than a higher range Quad anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    I haven't yet ordered PC components from overseas yet. The prices may look good on "paper", but add shipping, customs surcharges (which range from reasonable to insane depending on the items), tax etc and you may find that buying it locally may save you a lot of hassles. Keeping track of your R6000 order is also easier when it's confined to one country, not going from USA to UK then South Africa. Just my 2 cents there!

From what I've read, under correction that is, the i3 is not much more impressive than a higher range Quad anyway.
    I couldnt have said it better.