Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Fallen is actually pretty good!

Default Lords of the Fallen is actually pretty good!

first off, its not quite as good as Dark Souls. And yes, it does quite liberally "borrow" a lot of DS mechanics. but in the same way that i loved "Dantes Inferno", which was lambasted as a "God of War" clone, i'm really digging "LotF"!

solid, chunky, visceral combat. Awesome graphics (PC version). Plenty of attention to details and generally feels like game made by people who enjoy gaming.

Im struggling to get into it. I don't know why. I guess i just need more time with it. The combat feels a bit off to me. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It actually feels a bit more difficult than dark souls to me. But i heard your character gets OP towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Talentloos View Post
    Im struggling to get into it. I don't know why. I guess i just need more time with it. The combat feels a bit off to me. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It actually feels a bit more difficult than dark souls to me. But i heard your character gets OP towards the end.
    which class are you playing as? i guess if you want a DS-like experience, you need to play as the Rogue class, to take advantage of the rolling mechanic. I start off like this but have now opted for the Brawler class, and am totally decked out in heavy armour. i move like molasses, but i pack a punch and can shrug off quite a few hits.

this video shows the parry and riposte mechanics, which are awesome and i think should have been given more focus by the tutorial :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82w0lNEiRTQ

having said that, i find that im enjoying the game far more if i stop comparing it to DS. play it on its own merits and it will start to shine.

Yeah i think thats the problem. Because it is so close to DS, i judge it as such. I am playing as the guy with the shield and sword in the beginning. Cant remember the name. I am also decked put all in heavy armor. I like the shield play style more than the dodging and rolling. What bothers me the most i think is the fact that your shield doesn't come up as quickly as i thought it would. After giving a hit, there is that slight delay before you can block again. But that is just something to learn to deal with and adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Talentloos View Post
    Yeah i think thats the problem. Because it is so close to DS, i judge it as such. I am playing as the guy with the shield and sword in the beginning. Cant remember the name. I am also decked put all in heavy armor. I like the shield play style more than the dodging and rolling. What bothers me the most i think is the fact that your shield doesn't come up as quickly as i thought it would. After giving a hit, there is that slight delay before you can block again. But that is just something to learn to deal with and adjust.
    yup, i have also found that the timing differs slightly from DS, which is to be expected i guess. but as soon as i stopped comparing them, i began to enjoy game a lot more. I like the risk-reward dynamic of the XP banking. and magic+gauntlet weapons are cool too.

This game looked like it had LOADS of potential to be awesome... But i was put off quite a bit by the reviews when it released... Maybe worth having a look into again...

"I shave my arms so I'm more aerodynamic in a fight" Wlad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    This game looked like it had LOADS of potential to be awesome... But i was put off quite a bit by the reviews when it released... Maybe worth having a look into again...
    you should definately give it a shot. i think Nuuvem had it going cheap last week if you have a decent PC rig. I am bitterly disappointed that I missed the R119 special on XBONE :-(

but play this on its own merits. Don't think of it as a cheap DS knock-off, but rather as an HOMAGE to Dark Souls :-)

I adore this game.

I can't remember when last I had so much fun in a game, I enjoyed every single boss encounter and absolutely loved the xp banking system Really a fantatic game this.
    Last edited by The Joker; 23-02-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    I adore this game.

I can't remember when last I has so much fun in a game, I enjoyed every single boss encounter and absolutely loved the xp banking system Really a fantatic game this.
    exactly!! I played it for the first time on Saturday night for 4 straight hours and at 3AM i had to force myself to stop. Played again till 1AM last night. savouring every fight and every boss.

I am genuinely enjoying this game more than Dragon Age Inquisition. I prefer the solo battles and the more visceral combat. really very sad that it did not get the praise and the recognition that it richly deserves

I've been playing LotF and I find it to be a toned down version of Dark Souls.

The boss fights are a lot easier and enemy attacks are a lot easier to read. Also, I'm currently experiencing a game-breaking bug that requires me to restart the game over (I'm 10 hours in). So, right now, I've stopped playing cos that's way too annoying.
    Drummer | Gamer | Audiophile | Beard