Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Default Pre-ordered The Order: 1886? You probably shouldn't

Eurogamer:
    Ready at Dawn's truncated epic feels like a product of the year of its inception - a time when the world was in thrall to Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, and before the prescribed dramatics of Quantic Dream turned sour with Beyond: Two Souls. The result is an earnest game, sometimes disarmingly so. There are no levelling weapons, no branching narrative decisions, no litany of unlockables - and there's absolutely no reason to return once it's all over. The Order: 1886 isn't a disaster, nor is it a particularly good game. It's a hollow diversion, entertaining but outmoded and caught somewhere between a medium it repeatedly fumbles and one it fails to effectively embrace.
    Forbes: 6.5
    While I can’t recommend you spend full price, I do think it’s worth checking out at some point—either when the price drops, or as a rental, or borrowed from a friend. I give this game a Hold. It’s not a bad game, but the inexplicable game design decisions that bog it down, and the relatively short amount of time you actually spend playing, make it a tough sell at $60. It’s one of those games I find myself liking, but even more so wishing were something more—more the game it could have been, and less the game it is.
    Game Informer: 7.75
    While The Order: 1886 is a fun adventure with lots of intriguing reveals about the nature of its world, it’s also clear that Ready At Dawn intends for this to be the first game of a grander story. Players should brace themselves for a lot of unresolved character arcs and unanswered questions. This is an origin story, but a fascinating one. 1886 goes against the current tide of open-world wandering and emergent sequences, and banks on the idea that players can enjoy a straightforward and relatively brief cinematic adventure – if it’s well told and original. I hope Ready At Dawn is right; I’d love to see what happens in 1887.
    Gamesradar: 2.5/5
    It might sound an odd comparison, but when playing through The Order, I found it impossible not to think of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 1988 comedy classic, Twins. In the film, Arnie’s character, Julius, is a genetically engineered super man, a refined, improved version of humanity intended as a shining blueprint for the future. But he is born alongside an unexpected twin brother, Vincent, played by Danny DeVito, who exhibits none of Julius’ carefully chosen qualities. If The Last of Us – with its intelligent, progressive, resonating, modern interactive narrative design – is Julius, then The Order, with its dated, automated, uninvolving delivery of similarly epic aspiration is – as a scientist bluntly describes DeVito at one point in the film – ‘all the crap that was left over’.
    Still, at least it looks really nice.
    Gamersyde:
    Simple and entertaining is how we’d best summarize our experience with The Order 1886. It’s bound to disappoint those hyping the game's release but it’s hard to ignore its issues. Hopefully RAD is able to find a better balance between Hollywood and gameplay in the future. For the time being, we'd like to finish with a little cry from the heart: much ado about nothing?

Gamespot:
    All of these gameplay tropes are then shoved together into herky-jerky levels that end just when you think they might gain momentum. The only individual sequence lengthy enough to find a rhythm is a later stealth level, though it's far too simple to inspire wishes for more sneaky sections. What, then, to make of The Order: 1886? It is, at best, perfectly playable, and lovely to look at and listen to. But it is also the face of mediocrity and missed opportunities. A bad game can make a case for itself. A boring one is harder to forgive.
    Gametrailers: 8.2
    There’s a solid sense of bliss, and we just wish that we could explore more of it. In the end, The Order: 1886 is truly an exciting spectacle on a setting that we thoroughly enjoyed, elevating our expectations for Playstation 4 games to come. However, it’s held back by its limited scope and abbreviated plot and may not have the most well rounded strengths, but it’s a remarkable game, nonetheless.

Giant Bomb:
    2/5
    There are things here worth checking out, but the action feels half-cocked and you'll be finished with it in an afternoon. I won't pretend to guess at how much $60 means to you, dear reader, but I will say that The Order is a middling experience with a couple of bright flashes that only serve to remind you that this could be a more interesting game if more of its ideas were fully formed. If you're bent on seeing The Order for yourself, you should probably rent it.
    IGN: 6.5
    The basic conflict at the heart of The Order: 1886 is that considerations for a cinematic approach are prioritized above the needs of basic gameplay. Its best aspects are its stunning looks, atmosphere, and style – which are truly fantastic – and entertaining fiction. But the shallow, slow, and generic quick-time event-riddled gameplay make it feel like an experience that would've been better served by a non-interactive movie than a game. With no multiplayer, and no reason to revisit the short and stunted single-player campaign once it’s been completed, there just isn’t a lot to it.
    Kotaku: NO
    The Order: 1886 doesn't feel like the product of someone's grand vision; it feels like the tatters of that vision have been gathered, taped together, and presented as complete. The best I can say of it is that its premise is just novel enough to feel wasted. As I played, I kept wishing for some hint of inspiration, a dash of spirit to warm me against the chilly downpour of mediocrity. I found none.
    Polygon: 5.5
    Galahad's story, such as it is, concludes so rapidly and with so few loose threads tied off, it's hard to shake the feeling that someone somewhere decided that it was time for the knight and his cohorts to get out into the world whether they were ready or not. Though it nails some of the fundamentals, The Order: 1886 has been released without answering the essential question of what it offers that other games aren't already doing better . Everything about the game's final shot screams "sequel set up," but unless The Order finds some non-aesthetic reasons to justify its existence, it's hard to imagine coming back for a second adventure.
    The Jimquisition: 6.5
    This game, however, is naught but a glimpse of all that dormant promise. The Order: 1886 is a primer, not a story that feels complete or particularly worthwhile. When it allows itself to focus on action, it can provide a stimulating round of pop-and-fire combat, at least before it allows itself to drown in common distractions and intellectually insulting button prompts. While clearly assured in itself as a concept, it doesn’t extend that same faith to the player, so eager it is to hold its audience’s collective hands and guide them through corridors of patronizing tutorials and arbitrary gates to progression.

The Verge
    :
    Open-world games aren't going anywhere, and I don't want them to, but The Order is proof that there's still a place for linear, cinematic gaming experiences. It may look like a modern game, but The Order is a throwback to some of the best releases from the PlayStation 2: games that didn’t need a massive world to tell a cool story. It turns out I really missed that.
    USGamer: 3/5
    The Order: 1886 ends by leaving itself wide open for a sequel (The Order: 1887, one presumes), and I'm interested enough in the series' premise that I'll definitely give it a look. But I can only hope that inevitable sequel offers the sort of improvement we saw from Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed II. There's a decent game here, but it does little to set itself apart from those that clearly inspired it. Here's to the future, and to differentiation.
    Videogamer.com: 6
    The Order is a beautiful dud. Instead of building the core mechanics and then wrapping everything else around it, instead it appears Ready at Dawn made a movie and wondered how to put a game into it. By all accounts it still hasn't worked it out.
    From their video review: "You're allowed to look at the Mona Lisa, but only if you drink a cup of piss while doing so."
    I made a typo. @Jan or @Kevin , mind editing the title to 1886, instead of 1866. Thanks
    Last edited by The_Imp_ZA; 19-02-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    715 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.) MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Mussolini Award -

Quote Originally Posted by The_Imp_ZA View Post
    I made a typo. @Jan or @Kevin , mind editing the title to 1886, instead of 1866. Thanks
    You rang?

Also: Heeeeey, no copying our review round-ups

(Seriously: cool round-up. Looks like I'm waiting for this to get cheaper or to come on PS Plus.)
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    You rang?

Also: Heeeeey, no copying our review round-ups

(Seriously: cool round-up. Looks like I'm waiting for this to get cheaper or to come on PS Plus.)
    Thanks for the edit.

You guys were late.

EDIT: Added two more and alphabetized (I think ) the list.
    Last edited by The_Imp_ZA; 19-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

In before "critic scores don't matter".

I'm not surprised though. With a new IP/venture like this it's come down to a coin-flip most of the time.

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community. Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.
    Trophies Gift of giving Reputation precedes them

Quote Originally Posted by Ser_Bunnylot View Post
    In before "critic scores don't matter".

I'm not surprised though. With a new IP/venture like this it's come down to a coin-flip most of the time.
    Yeah I always thought this would be to the PS4 what Ryse: Son of Rome was for Xbox One. Seems I was spot on. It's on average 6% better too, just like the PS4*.

*Disclaimer: I don't own either console

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community.

I was never really hyped or sold on this, and rightfully so it seems!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Im also hyped for this game hahaha but ill wait for a nice deal on the PSN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I am hopefully getting the game soon and am excited to play it even after all these average reviews but I knew what I was getting.I dont mind pre ordering but I would never pre order digitally as no refunds are offered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Kalahari only shipped my Order (1886) this morning so I'm doubtful of it arriving today. I'll go pick it up at the courier tomorrow as it should at least reach their offices today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by brendanvb View Post
    Kalahari only shipped my Order (1886) this morning so I'm doubtful of it arriving today. I'll go pick it up at the courier tomorrow as it should at least reach their offices today.