View Poll Results: Is VR the next gaming frontier?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, just another gimmick that will flop!

3 16.67%
  • Don't think so, but I'd like to try it!

5 27.78%
  • Yes, but only for a niche market.

8 44.44%
  • This is the next big thing! G'bye fancy monitor!

2 11.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's the next frontier in gaming

Quote Originally Posted by JudeC View Post
    yep, fully immersive viewing similar too the training rooms in star trek
    Holograms is the way to true 3D with no crappy glasses, unfortunately it will be limited to typical TV size area. Holorooms will be likely as niche as "True Home Theater" setup, which requires separate room, proper speaker layout, proper screen, etc
    Upgrade purchased: Rainnuke

Quote Originally Posted by Kimitar View Post
    I actually wish they'd stop "pushing for the latest thing" and just perfect the wonky tech they have now. A game should work properly on release day, I shouldn't have to wait months for it to be patched into something vaguely resembling a playable gaming experience.

Ugh.
    Yes but what has this got to do with hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Lothy View Post
    Yes but what has this got to do with hardware?
    An awful lot, because, as an example, they come out with "new tech" on graphics cards before they've properly tested or optimized them, simply because they're trying to be the first to do the "next big thing". As a result, you end up with hilariously buggy disasters like Assassin's Creed: Unity, Dragon Age: Inquisition (they still haven't fixed the cut-scene frame-rate drops) or Far Cry 4, which were unplayable messes at release.

I don't care about virtual reality or whatever "next generation" nonsense other people think the future holds, I just want the stuff I play now to work the way they're supposed to.

The return in graphics will keep on diminishing each generation so I think these companies have to invest in other things hence the thread topic. Look at the bridge between the current and last generation. I'm eager to see what defines "next gen" in the future of gaming when you take "ZOMG DEM GRAFIXXX" out of the equation.

Will our eyes be able to distinguish the difference between anything larger than 4K?
    Last edited by Edelweiss; 02-03-2015 at 08:32 PM.
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    The return in graphics will keep on diminishing each generation so I think these companies have to invest in other things hence the thread topic. Look at the bridge between the current and last generation. I'm eager to see what defines "next gen" in the future of gaming when you take "ZOMG DEM GRAFIXXX" out of the equation.

Will our eyes be able to distinguish the difference between anything larger than 4K?
    Companies will be investing into what people like and "mutual interests". Now, everyone loves AAA title-sque games with functions "mash X to win" and easy easymode, obviously with unoptimised graphics that will require a new GPU and/or "next gen" console.

Pixel density should be similar to one on typical 720-1440p 4-5" screen. Even upclose, I'm having difficuluties to see individual pixels and instead I see seamless, "infinite" image.

So I have seen like real first person shooters where the person has on goggles and is on this small platform and has a gun in hand. Anyone know what im talking about? Who makes that setup?

What I would love to see is video games using hologram technology similar to what the 3ds tried to do with the AR cards.

Ichigo Ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool Elite View Post
    So I have seen like real first person shooters where the person has on goggles and is on this small platform and has a gun in hand. Anyone know what im talking about? Who makes that setup?
    I believe military uses for training personnel (there was article in NAG few years ago), but more widely used for airplane/tank/other_expensive machinery simulator. I even seen one of such simulators with complete physics simulation for F1 simulator in Eastgate.

Likely, specialized companies do custom setups and it will cost.

Check this out, and I could imagine somethinglike this working exceptionally well with something like AR in your living room actually.

Poll added if ya'll still interested
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za