Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New SSD advice please...

Do you current SSD owners think 128gb is enough ? That transcend drive for R937 looks attractive,

Quote Originally Posted by Crableg View Post
    Do you current SSD owners think 128gb is enough ? That transcend drive for R937 looks attractive,
    If it's OS only then its fine, but if you're even considering putting a few games on there then the 250GB drives are a minimum.

you can POSSIBLY get away with the 120, if you move your "my documents/videos/music" folder location away from the ssd, something you probably wanna do anyway as media files dont really benefit from the speed, and it will save you some read/write on the drive apart from the capacity benefit.

Brand new owner of an SSD here , but I think that 128GB is just a little too small. My previous drive was formatted so that the OS partition was around 100GB. I ran out of space on that very quickly just from installing a few programs that I needed as well as save game files etc.

I specifically bought the 256GB version so that I have enough space for the OS etc. as well as a couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
    Brand new owner of an SSD here , but I think that 128GB is just a little too small. My previous drive was formatted so that the OS partition was around 100GB. I ran out of space on that very quickly just from installing a few programs that I needed as well as save game files etc.

I specifically bought the 256GB version so that I have enough space for the OS etc. as well as a couple of games.
    Yeah leaning towards the 256gb, will be ordering it today hopefully. Will only put a few demanding games on that drive, well that's the theory.

Yeah leaning towards the 256gb, will be ordering it today hopefully. Will only put a few demanding games on that drive, well that's the theory.
    Go for it. That special looks pretty limited, so if you want the Crucial SSD from Wootware, then I'd go for it sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
    Go for it. That special looks pretty limited, so if you want the Crucial SSD from Wootware, then I'd go for it sooner rather than later.
    This is the one I'm looking at http://www.takealot.com/transcend-ss...b/PLID32837003

I want to go through takelot as I have vouchers to be used, I'm just a bit worried why the transcend drives are so much cheaper?

Edit: [MENTION=21]The Joker[/MENTION] sorry to ping you, but would you be able to shed some light on this, is there a reason transcend SSD's seem so much cheaper?
    Last edited by Crableg; 25-03-2015 at 12:08 PM.

This is the one I'm looking at http://www.takealot.com/transcend-ss...b/PLID32837003

I want to go through takelot as I have vouchers to be used, I'm just a bit worried why the transcend drives are so much cheaper?

Edit: [MENTION=21]The Joker[/MENTION] sorry to ping you, but would you be able to shed some light on this, is there a reason transcend SSD's seem so much cheaper?
    Transcend SSD's generally use JMICRON JMF667H controllers and they have pretty poor reliabillity, or I should say they used to be really poor when it came to ssd controller failure. They also have a HUGE range of ssd's, its really important to check out each specific ssd's read/write performance.

That specific ssd you've linked there uses a decent controller and is ok value for money but its pretty poor in the sequential write department, in fact its one of the slowest ssd's when it comes to that. Other than that its decent, I would however rather look at a crucial BX100, they are quite a bit faster (Sequential write speed is double that of the transcend), they use the same controller and I think they cost about the same.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

I have a 128gb crucial for windows and a 256gb Samsung for my games.

Once u own a SSD u will never go back im afraid. So for any new potential owners out there keep this in mind ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Transcend SSD's generally use JMICRON JMF667H controllers and they have pretty poor reliabillity, or I should say they used to be really poor when it came to ssd controller failure. They also have a HUGE range of ssd's, its really important to check out each specific ssd's read/write performance.

That specific ssd you've linked there uses a decent controller and is ok value for money but its pretty poor in the sequential write department, in fact its one of the slowest ssd's when it comes to that. Other than that its decent, I would however rather look at a crucial BX100, they are quite a bit faster (Sequential write speed is double that of the transcend), they use the same controller and I think they cost about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothy View Post
    I have a 128gb crucial for windows and a 256gb Samsung for my games.

Once u own a SSD u will never go back im afraid. So for any new potential owners out there keep this in mind ;-)
    Awesome thanks, Will be ordering it today!

Wanted to go through takealot but this wootware special seems too good.

EDIT: [MENTION=21]The Joker[/MENTION] - What about this guy ? http://www.takealot.com/ocz-arc-100-...b/PLID33054507

This is a comparison between the OCZ Arc 100 and the Crucial MX100 , is the crucial that much better for the extra price? http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare...6GB/2603vs2317
    Last edited by Crableg; 25-03-2015 at 02:39 PM.