Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New SSD advice please...

Quote Originally Posted by Wenzdayz View Post
    Sorry to necro this thread but i have an SSD question.

would this be a good value for money SSD
    http://www.takealot.com/transcend-ss...b/PLID38437483

im looking at going through takealot as i can use my ebucks. dont have spare cash at the moment.

i just want to run my OS on it and perhaps BF4 or BFH
    These days it doesn't really matter all that much anymore whose SSD you get, you will get a great improvement in speed. If you don't get a dud drive, any brand will last quite some time. I would however suggest Wenz that you get a 256GB SSD (if you can afford it). The 128GB one will fill up fast. BF4 is almost 60GB on it's own, add Windows and some programs and the drive will be full, which SSD's dont like.

My suggestion would be to save and get the 256GB version of that model, or perhaps this http://www.takealot.com/crucial-bx10...b/PLID36958336

Another option would be to wait for a daily deal on an SSD, they have those quite often. The BX100 I linked above was on daily deal the other day for R1300 I think.

Basically what [MENTION=6280]Blazzok[/MENTION] said. Any SSD these days will be a vast, noticeable improvement over mechanical. And I have to agree, you'll want 250gb one, as SSD's start having performance degrading once they're 75% and up full, so you never really want it over 75% full. Crucial, Razor and Samsung have all had Daily deals on takealot that were quite nice prices, and are quite nice bang-for-buck drives. So have a look here as well for some info about good vs bad brands

ok so i will wait another month or two and will look at takealots specials....

thanks guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.

Dude just buy 2x 120GB SSDs for like 1.2k each and use RAID 0. Double the space and speed. Its quite obvious really.
    Just make a backup script that copies your steam and origin folders to your normal HDD once a week or so and voila.
    Its what I did with 2 samsung evos and the speed increase i got was insane (had a 128GB OCZ agility 3 SSD before)

Quick round of Would You Rather for the SSD gurus...
    Would You Rather buy a:

500GB Samsung EVO 850 for R4000
    or a
    1TB Samsung EVO 840 for R5000

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Quote Originally Posted by GregRedd View Post
    Quick round of Would You Rather for the SSD gurus...
    Would You Rather buy a:

500GB Samsung EVO 850 for R4000
    or a
    1TB Samsung EVO 840 for R5000
    I think I would take the 1TB EVO 840. The differences between the two generations are small and the 1TB 840 has slightly faster speeds than the 500GB 850. Also, the extra space for R1k more sounds good to me.

Where did you get the prices if I might ask?

Edit: I found the 500GB 850 EVO for R3000 at Wootware, which is a pretty good price as well. The 1TB 840 is still a better option I would say if you're okay with spending that much.
    Last edited by Blazzok; 09-06-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Where did you get the prices if I might ask?
    Thanks for the reply Blazzok. Spotted them buy coincidence on Takealot as I was looking for a SD card for my brothers camera. (They need to sharpen up that search function a bit. Or I need to remember to use " ". )
    The 850 is here: http://www.takealot.com/samsung-850-...b/PLID34180892
    The 840 is here: http://www.takealot.com/samsung-840-...e/PLID32732403 (claims 22% off)

That wootware price you found is pretty good as well.

“You will know the good from the bad when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
    ~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Avoid Evo 840 drives.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/24/sam...40-evo-drives/

Greg you do know your drive still has warranty and you just have to have it swapped? lol
    Or you looking for another drive to go with it.

Also

http://www.rebeltech.co.za/ssds/52-s...40-520mb-.html
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Greg you do know your drive still has warranty and you just have to have it swapped? lol
    Or you looking for another drive to go with it.[/url]
    Lol. Yip, I know. Am going through to [MENTION=12410]Rebel Tech[/MENTION] on Friday, midday-ish to get that sorted. Planning on using it to primarily run the OS.

Managed to convince (emphasis on the "con" ) the Missus to maybe sponsor a 2nd SSD through her company's IT budget and gave her the two options to handover to the moneyman. They need a bunch of other random peripherals and office stuff - toner supplies, a couple of ipad cases, an external hdd, other bits, which they're collecting quotes for at the moment, so we'll see what happens in a couple of days. Allegedly the company has a bunch of ebucks to use.

The eternal optimist in me says I should remember to ask about cables and connectors for a 2nd SDD when I'm over at RT on Friday. Just for in case you know

~ Jedi Master Yoda ~

Quote Originally Posted by GregRedd View Post
    Lol. Yip, I know. Am going through to [MENTION=12410]Rebel Tech[/MENTION] on Friday, midday-ish to get that sorted. Planning on using it to primarily run the OS.

Managed to convince (emphasis on the "con" ) the Missus to maybe sponsor a 2nd SSD through her company's IT budget and gave her the two options to handover to the moneyman. They need a bunch of other random peripherals and office stuff - toner supplies, a couple of ipad cases, an external hdd, other bits, which they're collecting quotes for at the moment, so we'll see what happens in a couple of days. Allegedly the company has a bunch of ebucks to use.

The eternal optimist in me says I should remember to ask about cables and connectors for a 2nd SDD when I'm over at RT on Friday. Just for in case you know
    Sweet, maybe order that evo 850 so long then it should be ready for collections when you get there on Friday.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat