Thread: Batman vs Superman

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Snyder did a great many things right but he also did many great things wrong. I felt at certain points that it would have been better if Batman (Affleck) was introduced in his own film prior to being in BvS, because at some points of the film it felt like it's focus was more on Batman. Which is good, but you get pulled back again and remember that Lex and Superman are also there so it became a bit polarizing at some points. Affleck played an amazing role as Batman, Irons also helped build his character up so well as Alfred. As for Wonder Women I felt that she was thrown in there to keep the Justice League film from taking too long to come into fruition.

In short is not an Oscar winner and it's not a flop, it sits somewhere in between the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

@Saint_Dee I agree completely and good post. You are right about that thing where I thought it's something that Batman won't do and is known for not doing but apparently it's something that he did in the comics that the move is based on.
    @Glordit It would have been much better for the story if Affleck had his own Batman movie before this movie. It really feels like they tried to add too much to this movie.

I enjoyed it but it could have been better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

So I said the character stuff was good (except for Lex Luthor), but character motivations felt shallow. And that's not to say they weren't good but they felt extremely shallow as a symptom of the movie lacking any focus. I mean this 🎥 felt a random assortment of scenes (some of them were amazing scenes I'll grant you that) as opposed to a cohesive movie with a narrative that had something resembling structure.

I remember @TheAvenged87 and me having a discussion on how DC/WB was reverse engineering the Marvel/Disney formula and that could work and I remembering selling him on why it could work, well I clearly had a different interpretation. I am keen to see the future solo films but the Justice League not as much.

Also, aside from adapting The Dark Knight Returns, they also adapted my least favorite Superman comic book story somewhat and that saddens me
    Spoiler: show
    The Death of Superman.
    I can't believe they did that in a movie that was already this stacked...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Was utterly unimpressed with the movie. They could have cut out the first 1h30 minutes of the movie since it was pointless. Stupid dream sequences that kept breaking what little flow there was. Complete lack of motivation why people are doing what they did. Except flimsy things like I am insane, he is to strong and can possibly go bad etc etc. Also too much of a launch movie for justice league. I half expected Aquaman to come out of one of the fountains at one point. Cause like why not fill the movie with more rubbish.
    Gently swaying to the rhythm of his own dreams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

The BD will release with a Directors cut and be rated R/16/18 hopefully it's a bit better than the original film.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh.../#2e5b47326f9f

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I liked the movie, I didnt like the 2013 superman movie, felt like a destruction simulator add. This wasnt too bad, think Ben played really well. My apologies for the harsh remarks at first when hearing you were going to play Batman.

One major thing I didnt like was Lex...I have nothing against Eisenberg, like most of his movies (though, dont know what he was thinking when doing American Ultra...) but his portrayal of Lex was, felt kinda off to me. Like a childish Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Dee View Post
    The Death of Superman.
    I can't believe they did that in a movie that was already this stacked...
    @Saint_Dee . About the spoiler.
    Does he come alive again? I never read the comics, did hear about it. But, the ending in the movie, with the dust sort of rising on his coffin.... my all time fav superhero cant die...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualForce View Post
    I liked the movie, I didnt like the 2013 superman movie, felt like a destruction simulator add. This wasnt too bad, think Ben played really well. My apologies for the harsh remarks at first when hearing you were going to play Batman.

One major thing I didnt like was Lex...I have nothing against Eisenberg, like most of his movies (though, dont know what he was thinking when doing American Ultra...) but his portrayal of Lex was, felt kinda off to me. Like a childish Lex.

@Saint_Dee . About the spoiler.
    Does he come alive again? I never read the comics, did hear about it. But, the ending in the movie, with the dust sort of rising on his coffin.... my all time fav superhero cant die...
    Yes he does later on. But the there were so many fake supermen taking up his mantle after his death. Steel, Cyborg superman, Superboy and last son of Krypton
    Gently swaying to the rhythm of his own dreams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymelark View Post
    Yes he does later on. But the there were so many fake supermen taking up his mantle after his death. Steel, Cyborg superman, Superboy and last son of Krypton
    Ah, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Dee View Post
    Here's a post I made in the TK

Man of Steel sits at a comfortable 8.5/10 for me (and I'll defend that to the death of me) whereas Batman v Superman sits at a 7 and runs the tightrope of being a 6.5 or a 7.5 as I digest and reconcile my thoughts.

Like, I was frustrated by a lot of storytelling blunders, and sidenote I don't care about liberties they take with these characters because the source material history is so rich that there's so many different incarnations of these characters that you best believe there's incarnations who aren't like "our" definitive versions (our favorite versions I guess). Sidenote, that thing you think Batman wouldn't do, I can bet you right now there's an incarnation of him within the DC Universe that would do exactly that, and that's why I could never get hung up things like "Superman doesn't kill" or things that are specific to an incarnation of these characters because the comics themselves don't get hung up on those things as they keep redoing canon at intervals. In fact, I'd say the character stuff in the movie was great. Batman/Bruce Wayne* (might be my favorite cinematic Batman in terms of how he was portrayed), Superman/Clark*, Lois, Alfred, Perry, etc (expect Lex Luthor bothered me though for numerous plot related reasons).

*I include Bruce and Clark in this because they add to the character related progression of the alter egos in the movie.

My problem was that this was too dense a movie in the sense that were 5 stories being told and not enough focus on any of the threads for me to care or be invested, no real narrative structure giving the movie real forward momentum. Like so many cool things happened but throughout the movie I kept asking myself "what's the actual plot?". And it wasn't because there wasn't a plot, there were just too many plots that weren't serviced into a great narrative. The movie expects so much from a fan in terms of suspension of disbelief, and tries to sell on certain things in the story that just aren't earned in the narrative (don't get me wrong, a lot of it is cool but it is no way earned).

Also, the universe building stuff was SOOOOOOO FUCKING COOOOOL!!! But at the same put into the context of the movie was distracting. Man, mind is all over the place on this one. I need a second viewing to wrap my head around what my coherent thoughts are.

There were good ideas moving the movie, but there wasn't a real narrative that was given focus. What plot ? Here, have all this fan service!
    i fully agree should have been more than one movie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

Warched the movie today and i quite enjoyed it, however i still dont like afleck as batman. he made him such a winey, sad, miserable character. also felt wonder woman was a bit disjointed in the movie as to why was she there, what was she doing, how does she fit into this movie. and then Jessie eisenberg although his acting was brilliant i also didnt like his portrayal of lex luthor... he reminded me so much of the Joker...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hello WinzEveryDayz.