Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Paying for game mods

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Sit back and watch as Valve destroys modding as we know it. People are already pulling their mods from Nexus so they can monetize them. The other big thing is that before now the mod community was largely collaborative, so lots of mods used parts from other mods. This is going to be a shitstorm.
    Or sit back and watch artist come to the table and preduce stunning mods.
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

Which they've been doing all along...

Which they've been doing all along...
    But not as a job just as a hobby...
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

The thing that should not be Tsar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crzwaco View Post
    Applies to the 2de one.
    Only because they stole it from another modder.

As for stunning mods. There are plenty of stunning mods already. I honestly think this is a bad idea.

As for the modders making money off this fat chance. 75% gone bam. They won't make a living off it.
    Last edited by Tsar; 24-04-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Yeah, erm, I hate to break your bubble but this isn't going to make anyone rich. Not at the margins Valve implemented and not after we've enjoyed almost two decades of free mods.

Like I said, sit back and watch as Valve destroys modding as we know it. Modders will be fighting over cents here.

Yeah, erm, I hate to break your bubble but this isn't going to make anyone rich. Not at the margins Valve implemented and not after we've enjoyed almost two decades of free mods.

Like I said, sit back and watch as Valve destroys modding as we know it. Modders will be fighting over cents here.
    So how long do you think it will take for Valve to destroy modding as we know it? Will we see the results around this time next year?

The thing that should not be Tsar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    So how long do you think it will take for Valve to destroy modding as we know it? Will we see the results around this time next year?
    Honestly if I was a modder I would rather get donations than charge for the mod. 75% is a lot for the work you have done.
    Its not a good idea bec if it catches on companies are going to go mmmmm now we can really exploit these gamers.
    Soon Season pass for mods (just to be able to install them )

Oh and that 25% cut is determined by the game's developer. So it may mean that for other games the percentage will be much higher.

People who sell Skyrim content on the Workshop get a 25 percent cut of the revenue, but it seems that the amount a content creator receive is ultimately up to a game's publisher or developer. New supplemental terms for the Steam Workshop legal agreement state that "the percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that [content creators] are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application" for which they've created content.
    Here's a good article about the positives and negatives of the system:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...id-mods-steam/

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    How long do you think it will take for modders to decide they don't want to share a chunk of their 25% with SKSE? Or MCM?

The modding community is as big as it is because of collaboration. When modders start seeing each other as competitors how willing do you think they're going to be to collaborate? Some of the bigger mods have dozens of other dependencies. You really think a single modder is going to share his profits with 10 other people?

This is going to wreak havoc when you're installing 50 mods and half of them are incompatible because they no longer have the same dependencies.

How long do you think it will take for modders to decide they don't want to share a chunk of their 25% with SKSE? Or MCM?

The modding community is as big as it is because of collaboration. When modders start seeing each other as competitors how willing do you think they're going to be to collaborate? Some of the bigger mods have dozens of other dependencies. You really think a single modder is going to share his profits with 10 other people?

This is going to wreak havoc when you're installing 50 mods and half of them are incompatible because they no longer have the same dependencies.
    Game developers often work together even though they are competitors. In fact Dares, events and competitions have actually led to an increase in game development productivity. There will always be free mods. There will always be free games. There are paid games and now there are paid for mods too. I mean, why not? It's most definitely worth the try.

We can however see how drastically the modding landscape changed in a year... and that is the beauty of it.

We will also see how havoc will be created because 50 mods are incompatible because they no longer have the same dependencies.... or will we? See you here in a year, Graal.