The thing that should not be Tsar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies Howdy neighbour Come in for coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Crzwaco View Post
    This got me to think atm the people that support mods brings out the modding tools for free but what if now with this pay for mod the modding tools would now rather be sold than given out free.

Becomes a subscription service. Getting money from modders and mods. Why pay people to do dlc when you can get paid for letting people do mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

GabeN just posted on reddit...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 94
Size:  42.0 KB
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    GabeN just posted on reddit...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 94
Size:  42.0 KB
    A link to day thread woulda been great...

Anyway here goes
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ods_and_steam/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaJohn View Post
    A link to day thread woulda been great...

Anyway here goes
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ods_and_steam/
    wow it is huge over 11k replies :S

I see they took off the announcement on the front page of steam.
    Last edited by Crzwaco; 26-04-2015 at 03:08 AM.
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Game developers often work together even though they are competitors. In fact Dares, events and competitions have actually led to an increase in game development productivity. There will always be free mods. There will always be free games. There are paid games and now there are paid for mods too. I mean, why not? It's most definitely worth the try.

We can however see how drastically the modding landscape changed in a year... and that is the beauty of it.

We will also see how havoc will be created because 50 mods are incompatible because they no longer have the same dependencies.... or will we? See you here in a year, Graal.
    Modders are not game developers and the modding scene has never been the same as game development. I've been participating in the modding community since 2004 and I'm telling you now, a shitstorm is coming. There are already dozens of fights from modders and modders are actively pulling their previously free modders resource packs because they don't want other people monetizing their work.

I appreciate that you're trying to remain positive, but if you don't see why this is a problem for the modding community then you don't understand the modding community at all.

Modders are not going to share their pennies. They're not going to get stinking rich off this.
    Last edited by Graal; 26-04-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Modders are not game developers and the modding scene has never been the same as game development. I've been participating in the modding community since 2004 and I'm telling you now, a shitstorm is coming. There are already dozens of fights from modders and modders are actively pulling their previously free modders resource packs because they don't want other people monetizing their work.

I appreciate that you're trying to remain positive, but if you don't see why this is a problem for the modding community then you don't understand the modding community at all.

Modders are not going to share their pennies. They're not going to get stinking rich off this.
    Can you post some links to where free modders packs being pulled? Did you read that Gamasutra article that I posted?

I must say that I don't know the modding community. I know the game development one, and we are perceiving this as mostly a good thing.

What I see is an opportunity that didn't exist before. And if things do not work out then they can just stop it. The only way to have progress is to test the waters. And the only way to see how things will turn out is to give it time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

Nexus news item

...many modders release their mods as "modders resources", essentially saying to people "take whatever you want from my mod and use it in yours". The introduction of paid for mods changes that. Some mod authors have already taken their mods down because they're afraid their assets or even their entire mods will be stolen and added to the new Steam Workshop without their permission. Many more have said they are now unsure if they'll ever release another modder's resource again.
    And yes, I did read the Gamasutra article and I think the modder in question has stars in his eyes for a future that isn't going to be. He's under the misguided impression that people will be making a career out of this and get stinking rich, which is very unlikely. What's instead going to happen is it will become another Google Play store, with dozens of clones and a race to the bottom model. Hell, we've even got in-game adverts for 'free' versions of paid mods. I wonder where I've seen that before.

I watched Robin Scott build the modding community up to what it is today from the humble beginnings of TESSource up until it became multi-game modding site that the Nexus is today. And Valve just single-handedly tore down everything Robin did in more than a decade so that they can monetize user-created content. I don't have a problem compensating people for their mods. I once donated $15 to the author of Requiem when he still accepted donations because his mod gave me about 50 extra hours of fun in Skyrim. The entire issue with this system is the implementation. It should have been free mods with the option to donate if you want, because people who don't want to pay for mods won't do it anyway. People who would pay, would have donated anyway. Now we're seeing the rise of mod piracy. I honestly never in my wildest dreams thought mod piracy would be a thing.

Like I said, sit back and watch as Valve destroys modding as we know it. What we're seeing now is totally against the spirit of a modding community that has been flourishing for more than a decade. Give it time and you'll see how the face of modding will change.
    Last edited by Graal; 26-04-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Sure lets give it time and see what happens.

And yes, I did read the Gamasutra article and I think the modder in question has stars in his eyes for a future that isn't going to be. He's under the misguided impression that people will be making a career out of this and get stinking rich, which is very unlikely. What's instead going to happen is it will become another Google Play store, with dozens of clones and a race to the bottom model. Hell, we've even got in-game adverts for 'free' versions of paid mods. I wonder where I've seen that before.
    However it doesn't look like you read the Gamasutra article and its comments. The writer of the article specifically mentions that he is writing a mod and that he will be releasing it for free. Also that now one has an option of charging money for a mod should one now choose to. He specifically uses the word "option". I don't see where you get the idea of him "has stars in his eyes for a future that isn't going to be. He's under the misguided impression that people will be making a career out of this and get stinking rich, which is very unlikely."

In fact he doesn't say anything like that. Can you please quote what he says to give you that impression?

As for the Nexus article that you posted. I believe this reply answers it quite well: "The guys from Nexus mods have invested so much in their community and their site that they will have no choice but to take the side of everything staying the way it was."

Now you specifically say that you have the following problem:
    The entire issue with this system is the implementation. It should have been free mods with the option to donate if you want, because people who don't want to pay for mods won't do it anyway. People who would pay, would have donated anyway. Now we're seeing the rise of mod piracy. I honestly never in my wildest dreams thought mod piracy would be a thing.
    Mods can still be given away for free. Mods can still be released on other platforms. Or:
    Free, Paid, or Pay What You Want
    With over 24,000 free mods available for Skyrim in the Steam Workshop, there will always be lots to do and explore for free. Now you can also find mods with a specified price, or mods where you can choose how much you wish to support the creators. The price is up to the mod creators.
    So if that is your issue then it's taken care of. Since there is a pay what you want option. Isn't that exactly the same as donation?

*edit*
    Oh and @Graal since I didn't include your name in the quotes.
    Last edited by Solitude; 26-04-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

damn, when the internet gets upset...its gets upset.

Eager to see what Gabe will do now. Prolly make a weak reference to HL3 to take the internets attention away from paid for mods and add HL2 and Team Fortress to it as well.

Also interesting to see people for the first time in greater numbers getting angry at Valve, esp with some mentions about the long HL3 no show. I think Valve needs seriously think about what made them what they are today....but its kinda hard to hear us gamers over the money machines counting money.

I miss the good old days, showing my age and what not...esp the late 90's, all this monetizing of games with DLC's, day one content, a bazillion different special editions...blah blah...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Name:  HatersGonnaHateValve.gif
Views: 102
Size:  144.6 KB

Especially when it comes to gamers.