Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years!

Default Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years!

Dragon Ball Super set after Majin Buu saga with foe stronger than Buu, Freeza teased

Name:  199448-dragon-ball-z.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  117.0 KB

Dragon Ball Super, a brand new television anime inspired by Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga, will premiere on Fuji TV and other channels in July on Sundays at 9:00 a.m. This will be the first new Dragon Ball television series since Dragon Ball GT, which aired from 1996 to 1997.

The story of the anime is set a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again. The voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, Masako Nozawa commented on the new anime, saying, “We've always used the word 'chō' (Super) with Dragon Ball in commercials, games and the like, but the fact that the series titled Dragon Ball Super is beginning is the best thing ever.”

Fuji TV producer Osamu Nozaki commented on the new series as well, saying, “As I read the plot [of the series] I've already received from Akira Toriyama, my dreams for this begin to expand. An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”

Toriyama is credited as the original creator, as well as for "original story & character concepts." Toei Animation's Kimitoshi Chioka (Hakaba Kitarō, Kamisama Kazoku) is the series director, and Naoko Sagawa (Yomiko Advertising, Inc.) and Atsushi Kido (Toei Animation) join Nozaki as producers. Kido entered Toei just as the company was animating the Dragon Ball Z anime's Freeza arc.

A new film taking place after the Majin Buu Saga, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (key visual seen right,) premiered in Japan earlier this month. The film will eventually screen in 74 countries worldwide. Funimation hosted the North American premiere of the film on April 11 in Los Angeles. The company plans to release the film in more theaters with an English dub this summer.
    Source
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

I started watching all my old DBZ series and movies the other day and man i still love it, a new series will be awesome now if bleach could only make a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by AlienTaker View Post
    I started watching all my old DBZ series and movies the other day and man i still love it, a new series will be awesome now if bleach could only make a comeback
    If you are reading the manga you know deep down in your heart it will not happen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glordit View Post
    If you are reading the manga you know deep down in your heart it will not happen for a long time.
    Dont rain on my dreams

Quote Originally Posted by AlienTaker View Post
    Dont rain on my dreams
    So interested to see how this plays out. Even more interested to see how DBZ conforms to modern anime conventions. Will the art style be exactly the same? The voice acting will make it or break it for me..
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

WIN FREE SCHIT!! --> justplay.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    So interested to see how this plays out. Even more interested to see how DBZ conforms to modern anime conventions. Will the art style be exactly the same? The voice acting will make it or break it for me..
    DBZ is massively popular in Japan still, and it's as popular as One Piece. Sorry to rain on your parade but it will probably have the original Japanese voice cast.

As for the art style, it's Toei so it will probably remain the same. You can't really fault it's animation though, Z came out in 1989. For it's time it was pretty good considering other shows such as City Hunter, Kimba The White Lion and Ranma 1/2. Also, animation is like art there are so many different styles and methods to create anime but, these days it's mostly digital and CGI. Very little hard drawn animation is done for TV shows due to time constraints so it is mostly left for big budget shows and films.

I used to watch DBZ every afternoon at 5 on SABC2, most fun I had all day... evened only by collecting DBZ Tazo's earlier the same day. I am anxious to watch this new series, and to see how I will react upon the storyline and progression from episode to episode. Hopefully now as an adult I won't find it childish and slow.

Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out, and if we will be getting the FUNimation english voice cast.

Problem that I have though is that I'm not too fond of the latest movies (referring to the style that production has taken). The golden Frieza, and blue super saiyan hair transformations for one just don't sit well with me.
    Last edited by Gimaru; 05-05-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimaru View Post
    Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out, and if we will be getting the FUNimation english voice cast.

Problem that I have though is that I'm not too fond of the latest movies (referring to the style that production has taken). The golden Frieza, and blue super saiyan hair transformations for one just don't sit well with me.
    If FUNimation cast doesn't do the new series then I'm not watching!