Thread: Weird lag in game?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieChoke View Post
    Generally I notice that incoming traffic is greater than my lines ability to allow.
    For example I have -netgraph enable and my average ping is 70, but if i look at the graph, my IN pin is 700 - 2000 with 1.0kb/s.
    When its this high I dont bother playing, it will be impossible to do team fights, when the action starts all players freeze, but the audio continues.
    You're going to have to use layman's terms with me, I'm afraid. Keep it as simple as possible please guys, I know very little about computers and internet related stuff.

The thing is, I've never had this issue before, it just started happening in the last few days...

Quote Originally Posted by to0kenZA View Post

So Step 1: Open a windows command line and run this command: ping 196.38.180.20 -t
    Step 2: Open another command prompt and do another ping to maybe Google's DNS servers (USA IP): ping 8.8.8.8 -t
    Step 3: Open yet another command prompt and do a ping to your router, e.g: ping 192.168.1.1 -t

When I tried the very first one of these, it kept saying "request timed out" over and over.
    Last edited by Kimitar; 08-05-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kimitar View Post
    You're going to have to use layman's terms with me, I'm afraid. Keep it as simple as possible please guys, I know very little about computers and internet related stuff.

The thing is, I've never had this issue before, it just started happening in the last few days...

When I tried the very first one of these, it kept saying "request timed out" over and over.
    Hi Kimitar, well then that means that the particular server you're trying to ping might be offline for maintenance or the IP changed and it's not getting an echo reply from the server.

Try pinging one of the others and see if any of them respond. If not, you might want to use a program like WireShark to get a TCP protocol dump whilst you're playing. Basically it's a program that collects real-time TCP/IP data from your network interfaces and you will find the server IP in those logs if need be. Let me know if you need help with this or get to a point where it will be necessary to use this software.

This might probably be the best way to find the problem as it will give you a lot of detailed network traffic information.

Have you tried using a different ADSL account yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by to0kenZA View Post
    Hi Kimitar, well then that means that the particular server you're trying to ping might be offline for maintenance or the IP changed and it's not getting an echo reply from the server.

Try pinging one of the others and see if any of them respond. If not, you might want to use a program like WireShark to get a TCP protocol dump whilst you're playing. Basically it's a program that collects real-time TCP/IP data from your network interfaces and you will find the server IP in those logs if need be. Let me know if you need help with this or get to a point where it will be necessary to use this software.

This might probably be the best way to find the problem as it will give you a lot of detailed network traffic information.

Have you tried using a different ADSL account yet?
    This stuff is way too complicated for me to figure out and do on my own. Is there any way you can get in contact with me and help me work through this? PM me if you like.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kimitar View Post
    This stuff is way too complicated for me to figure out and do on my own. Is there any way you can get in contact with me and help me work through this? PM me if you like.

Thanks.
    Add me in steam:-
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ArchieChoke

in the meanwhile goto, your steam library, goto dota 2, right click, goto properties, click launch options. Put in there -netgraph , save and close.