You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Week old monitor is defective- a case for RMA or simple exchange?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Trophies Save the date

Default Week old monitor is defective- a case for RMA or simple exchange?

So I bought an LG 23MP55 IPS monitor last week and it has unacceptable amounts of backlight bleed in the one corner, resulting in it always being noticeable and distracting during use. I'm giving Wootware some flak about it because they want it sent in to LG under warranty and I feel this is not acceptable for a monitor that is only a week old. Especially because there is a possibility that LG will determine the backlight bleed is acceptable and return it to me as is.

I told Wootware that they either need to guarantee me a new monitor, or they need to give me a new one themselves or give me a fully refund. Am I right to feel that I should not have to go through the lengthy RMA process on a monitor which is only a week old? Would you guys accept that?
    Last edited by Graal; 24-05-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Wouldn't be happy with it either...but I do think Wootware is facing an unreasonable portion of your wrath here though. Remember they're literally in the business of moving boxes from A to B (supplier to you). If the contents of the box have a flaw thats not really their fault...they should be providing reasonable assistance to remedy the situation of course...which is the formal RMA process.

If they start exchanging things like you suggest they wouldn't be in business for long...
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

Yet they make a profit off my purchase. They're not doing me a service, they're selling me goods. If I took a defective monitor back to Makro I'd get an exchange on the spot. I'm not saying Wootware needs to take the loss as it's obviously a manufacturer's fault, but they need to sort it out with the manufacturer themselves. They bought a faulty product from the manufacturer, not me. I bought a faulty monitor from Wootware, thus I want a replacement from Wootware. They can sort out with the manufacturer themselves why they received a faulty product for resale.

As the customer who chose to spend my money at their store, I should not be the one carrying all the risk.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this way, but it makes sense to me. If it was a couple of months old I would have no issue with the RMA process. However, it's not. It's a brand new product that was faulty out the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

If I took a defective monitor back to Makro I'd get an exchange on the spot.
    You sure? Last time I utilized a Makro warranty it took a couple of months to get a replacement...

You say it was bought "last week"...maybe CPA still covers it?...thats 7 days if memory serves.

I kinda get what you're saying but if online shops do that half can close their doors and the other half need to up their prices significantly to absorb the risk.

Remember RMA is a global industry wide norm...its not something wootware dreamt up.
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

I agree with Graal. I would also expect that the seller should deal with the exchange, especially after only a week. To say that they are "only moving boxes from A to B" makes it sound like they are a logisitics company, they are not. They are an online retailer. Perhaps they make it clear in their T&Cs that they don't do exchanges, in which case I will never use them again as I believe this is a minimum service requirement that I expect from any retailer. I have dealt with ComX, who are a similar online distributor and have nothing but good things to say about them. My WD external drive failed after 2.5 years(!) and they still took it in to exchange with their suppliers because it was under WD guarantee. It's very poor on Wootware's part not to honour even a limited guarantee after a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

You guys should go read the CPA, it does not guarantee you an immediate exchange. This is common practice from all retailers I'm afraid, not just Wootware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

It's extortion. Makro takes the faulty item, inspects it for user-inflicted damage and if none is found, they give you a new monitor and send the faulty one back to their supplier. I've done this with two phones and a monitor in the past. No reason why other companies can't do the same. This BS of screwing the customer over by depriving them of their product while their supplier inspects for faults at their own discretion is just that, BS.

It's an easy way for companies to shirk all responsibility in terms of goods sold. Like StaggerLee said, they're not a logistics company. They sold me a defective product. It's not like I've been using the product for weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I agree that it's really BS, same thing happened to me. That said it seems to be the norm, at least as far as online retailers go. Most brick and mortar stores are more reasonable in that department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

The irony is that my SO told me to buy the same thing from TakeAlot and not stare myself blind against the R150 saving from Wootware. I guess that teaches me. TakeAlot would even have sent a courier to collect from me, while Wootware expects me to get it to their premises on my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    The irony is that my SO told me to buy the same thing from TakeAlot and not stare myself blind against the R150 saving from Wootware. I guess that teaches me. TakeAlot would even have sent a courier to collect from me, while Wootware expects me to get it to their premises on my own.
    That's not right. They gave me the option so I had a courier come and collect it from me...