Page 992 of 1202 FirstFirst ... 492 892 942 982 990 991 992 993 994 1002 1042 1092 ... LastLast
Results 9,911 to 9,920 of 12017

Thread: Threadkiller Mk XII

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    I can show you a web presentation we did for a potential client recently: Pagelizard Web Presentation

Should be fairly responsive down to mobile level (didn't have much time to test all browsers though - had only 3 days to do the whole thing from scratch). Swipe left / right for nav (using finger or mouse) or use the menu.
    That leads management system looks very interesting. We do all kinds of financial software and sites at my work. Mostly payroll, fixed assets, and quoting and such. Our quoting program has leads management but I don't think it's very advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    That leads management system looks very interesting. We do all kinds of financial software and sites at my work. Mostly payroll, fixed assets, and quoting and such. Our quoting program has leads management but I don't think it's very advanced.
    The LMS is fairly sophisticated. It integrates with their "contact us" page where you can do a quick, medium or long version. That distributes the lead geographically to the correct department so the appropriate call center agents pick it up and appoint the best brokers to handle the lead. Then it pans out to very industry specific needs, which I'm not inclined to share in a public forum. It's been in development for a good 14 months now and it keeps expanding to other areas of the business as well.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

The LMS is fairly sophisticated. It integrates with their "contact us" page where you can do a quick, medium or long version. That distributes the lead geographically to the correct department so the appropriate call center agents pick it up and appoint the best brokers to handle the lead. Then it pans out to very industry specific needs, which I'm not inclined to share in a public forum. It's been in development for a good 14 months now and it keeps expanding to other areas of the business as well.
    Awesome. I'd love to see it one day. Is there any reason why you moved over to Java for some projects? We mostly work with C# and C++ over here and none of us have even touched Java. I know it's hugely popular but I don't see us using it in the foreseeable future.

I can show you a web presentation we did for a potential client recently: Pagelizard Web Presentation

Should be fairly responsive down to mobile level (didn't have much time to test all browsers though - had only 3 days to do the whole thing from scratch). Swipe left / right for nav (using finger or mouse) or use the menu.
    Oh cool, I also had a look at www.typedev.co.za and why.typedev.co.za. Those animations in the backgrounds are very funky and the paging is very slick, did you write that js?

I'll show those sites to my boss for in case we need extra resources.

Awesome. I'd love to see it one day. Is there any reason why you moved over to Java for some projects? We mostly work with C# and C++ over here and none of us have even touched Java. I know it's hugely popular but I don't see us using it in the foreseeable future.
    To be honest, I had a passing interest in Java and thought it might be fun to dabble in one day. After doing C# for 9 years I landed a client that forced us into the Oracle stack, as that's what they had in their environment. After doing it every day now for almost a year I can comfortably say I'm starting to prefer it above .NET. Threading is so much simpler and more robust and, when hosted on a Unix server, the performance is mind-blowing compared to .NET hosted in Windows.

We've built services and software daemons processing on average 40-50 transactions per second, sometimes peaking above 100, and our code stays rock solid. I've yet to build an application handling such high transaction volumes in .NET and given the opportunity to I will most certainly compare it with the performance I've seen from Java hosted on Unix. The other benefit of Java is the portability to other platforms: you can reuse the same compiled code on Windows, Linux, Unix, Android, etc... You just pass around the compiled assemblies and you're done. No recompilation or platform targeting necessary.

For a C# developer moving over to Java it really is just a case of getting used to the new IDE and libraries - syntax is 95% the same as C#. Only some specifics like generics, lambdas and anonymous classes differ slightly, but not enough to make you uncomfortable - except type erasure (the bane of all reflection-focused code).

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Oh cool, I also had a look at www.typedev.co.za and why.typedev.co.za. Those animations in the backgrounds are very funky and the paging is very slick, did you write that js?

I'll show those sites to my boss for in case we need extra resources.
    I did indeed. It started off as a pet project of mine to build a particle generator. I ended up with a nice drawable canvas where I could draw random particles and give them a lifespan. So it ended up looking like sparks emitting from the mouse cursor, with lava-like canyons being drawn on the screen. I extracted the necessary bits from that to create the light-shafts effect and it's been used in our CI ever since. Feel free to grab the JS file attached to the site and play around with it.

Most of the stuff I do is a combination of CSS3 animations and transitions and canvas animations.

To be honest, I had a passing interest in Java and thought it might be fun to dabble in one day. After doing C# for 9 years I landed a client that forced us into the Oracle stack, as that's what they had in their environment. After doing it every day now for almost a year I can comfortably say I'm starting to prefer it above .NET. Threading is so much simpler and more robust and, when hosted on a Unix server, the performance is mind-blowing compared to .NET hosted in Windows.

We've built services and software daemons processing on average 40-50 transactions per second, sometimes peaking above 100, and our code stays rock solid. I've yet to build an application handling such high transaction volumes in .NET and given the opportunity to I will most certainly compare it with the performance I've seen from Java hosted on Unix. The other benefit of Java is the portability to other platforms: you can reuse the same compiled code on Windows, Linux, Unix, Android, etc... You just pass around the compiled assemblies and you're done. No recompilation or platform targeting necessary.

For a C# developer moving over to Java it really is just a case of getting used to the new IDE and libraries - syntax is 95% the same as C#. Only some specifics like generics, lambdas and anonymous classes differ slightly, but not enough to make you uncomfortable - except type erasure (the bane of all reflection-focused code).
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe one day I'll have a look at Java.

code junky babblespeak hour
    - There is no proof any of us are even alive -
    - - - -

Thanks for the reply. Maybe one day I'll have a look at Java.
    Brace yourself. Null exceptions are coming...
    One day, I'll grow up and become responsible.
    Probably not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister 44 View Post
    Brace yourself. Null exceptions are coming...
    Haha hopefully not.