Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading costs??

So far I have spent R2000 on my LCD.

Later on this year I will be looking to upgrade my CPU, graphics card and RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldarza View Post
    I was going to upgrade a little later on, but my old PC died, and with the reality that hardware prices could jump like software prices are I went ahead with it. So this is how much I've spend this month so far.

CPU
    Intel E8500. I'll tell you right now that I'm no fan of AMD - just to many disappointments from that side. I was looking for a Q6600 but it seems the stock just dried up when I was buying. Anyhow, they reckon that the E8500 is better than the Q6600 for gaming [for now]. Was going to wait till the i7s became more reasonable, but the DDR3 motherboards and RAM are still a little to demanding on my budget for now.

RAM
    4x1GB DDR2 800. Yip, went for 800s because... lets face it, I'm not the gamer I used to be so I don't see the need for higher. I admit that the "casual" option in games is more fun for me right now. I'm getting old To me, I need more RAM, not faster RAM [again,I could do without the DDR3]

Motherboard
    ASUS P5QL-E - More than I would have liked to spend. Motherboards are the bane of my existence. Usually I take the cheapest. Love the power management features of this board though.

PSU
    Cooler Master Extreme Power PSU - 550w
    My motherboard isnt SLI/CF, 550w should be more than enough for my needs. I personally think that power usage is highly overrated by the gaming community (seriously guys, 1000w PSUs? WTF?). I could have settled for a lower PSU, but the aging will push this boy down to 500w before I retire the PC to the server.

Graphics Card
    Geforce 9800GTX+. Again, I'll be honest - I'm no fan of AA. In my opinion, the noticeable difference at high resolutions is so little that you wouldn't even notice it within the action [if you wish to debate this, start a new thread]. And the 9800GTX can play any game high without AA, the GTX+ uses less power and I found it rather cheaply too so it was a sure sell. (I was looking into the 4870 but it was more expensive at the time). Considering I'd prob have to upgrade in a years time anyway, may as well not spend big now and wait to see what happens.

Screen
    Busy waiting for a 22", but it's been a hard month cash wise.

Keyboard, mouse
    Using my old mouse and keyboard

Case
    My old case, going on 5 years old now...

HDD
    Old hardrives (SATA)

DVD:
    DVD DL Writer (looked into blu-ray but i'll give it a pass till later)

So about R8 000 in total.
    Nice brake down mate
    Thanx!!

Im running 4 gigs of Corsair xms2 DDR2 800 ram in my current setup and it beats the snot out of my mates 2x 2 DDR2 1066 Battle axe memory.
    He is still pissed about that...lol!!
    There is nothing wrong with DDR2 800 ram if you buy the rite brand..corsair ect.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

I need a decent soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    Speak to sharkbait mate..He has/had one for sale!!

I didn't plan on upgrading but my machine died on me so landed up getting myself a new toy. The details are in my sig but I basically got:

E8400 Intel 3.0ghz processor
    Gigabyte Motherbard
    8GB DDR2 800 RAM
    24" Sammy monitor
    ATI H4870 1GB screen card
    Vista 64bit (Will upgrade again to Windows 7 64 bit when it gets released officially)

Cost me around R13k with the monitor

Next thing to purchase is a Quad Core but for now my machine is service nicely. Solitare has never looked so good

Yeah, it's sold. Miss it already.

As for the upgrade, al the spare cash I have this year will go towards a new gpu and a T260 and maybe a quad core cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplassie View Post
    Just get yourself an SB Audigy Value card. R400 if you got an account with Rectron.

Quote Originally Posted by messiahfg View Post
    I didn't plan on upgrading but my machine died on me so landed up getting myself a new toy. The details are in my sig but I basically got:

E8400 Intel 3.0ghz processor
    Gigabyte Motherbard
    8GB DDR2 800 RAM
    24" Sammy monitor
    ATI H4870 1GB screen card
    Vista 64bit (Will upgrade again to Windows 7 64 bit when it gets released officially)

Cost me around R13k with the monitor

Next thing to purchase is a Quad Core but for now my machine is service nicely. Solitare has never looked so good
    Nice build.
    What ram are you running? and how much did the 8gig set you back?

Then I would rather use the onboard soundcard. Those cards are so old.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Yeah, it's sold. Miss it already.

As for the upgrade, al the spare cash I have this year will go towards a new gpu and a T260 and maybe a quad core cpu.
    I'll be helping you decide on wich quad core...I hope you know that mate
    Still wanted to ask you what GPU are you getting and how much are you spending?
    Is your4870x2 sold?
    Last edited by The Joker; 25-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.