Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading costs??

I will probably spend about 10,000 or more this year upgrading. Depends though. It can be done for good prices if you shop around. I bought a new rig yesterday for R7000.

Specs:
    Intel motherboard
    Core 2 Duo 2.66
    4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
    500GB HDD
    19" LG LCD
    Icecube case
    400W PSU
    Keyboard/mouse

I know its not an ultimate gaming rig but thats not what it was purchased for. Still a great price to pay for all of that brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by mcryan View Post
    I will probably spend about 10,000 or more this year upgrading. Depends though. It can be done for good prices if you shop around. I bought a new rig yesterday for R7000.

Specs:
    Intel motherboard
    Core 2 Duo 2.66
    4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
    500GB HDD
    19" LG LCD
    Icecube case
    400W PSU
    Keyboard/mouse

I know its not an ultimate gaming rig but thats not what it was purchased for. Still a great price to pay for all of that brand new.
    I could have probably built that rig for alot less. Maybe speak to me before you upgrade again mate.
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Ok so here's my story...

Background: I got a pc when I went to varsity(koshuis) Pretty nice at the time(december 2006) 7800GT, 1.8GHZ C2D, 500GB HDD, 19" Sony LCD, Coolermaster Case, 450W PSU, 2GB-DDR2-800 Ram. (during which time I upgraded to a 8800GT and started to use the other LCD and bought an extra one)

So In the June/July holidays of 2008 (while we were in church) We got robbed. The follow items were stolen:

My PC.
    My Mothers Pc. (which was my old rig)
    3 LCD monitors(i used two for my pc)
    My PS2
    Ipod 80GB
    Sony Digital Camera
    Sisters Laptop.
    My Watch

They then put all this in my car and drove off with it. So in total it was about R180 000 worth of damage. After everything got stolen I got myself a nice little PC.

Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i, Q9300, Kingston Hyper-X DDR2-800, 2x 500GB, Nvidia 9800GTX, Coolermaster CM690, Acer 24" P243W, PS3 40GB, Logitech G11, Logitech G5.

So add all those items up and then you get a nice little amount ;P

P.S the first time I got robbed was the sunday morning in the 2 hours we were in church, the worst part about it all was that on Friday I spent about 5 hours putting in new lights and doing cable management on the thing. I got my 2nd pc the first week of August was such a cool thing that I had to benchmark every single thing I could get my hands on. We went down to cape town for the weekend(my uncle's 50th) And that Friday morning I was still thinking about whether I should take out my hard drives and graphics card just in case. But i didn't seeing as I was seeding a torrent.

But I know the ADT technicians had something to do with it. Just wish the police will one day call me back. After i've went there 20 times and called about 300 times I gave up.
    Last edited by SpoOkie; 26-02-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoOkie View Post
    Ok so here's my story...

Background: I got a pc when I went to varsity(koshuis) Pretty nice at the time(december 2006) 7800GT, 1.8GHZ C2D, 500GB HDD, 19" Sony LCD, Coolermaster Case, 450W PSU, 2GB-DDR2-800 Ram. (during which time I upgraded to a 8800GT and started to use the other LCD and bought an extra one)

So In the June/July holidays of 2008 (while we were in church) We got robbed. The follow items were stolen:

My PC.
    My Mothers Pc. (which was my old rig)
    3 LCD monitors(i used two for my pc)
    Ipod 80GB
    Sony Digital Camera
    Sisters Laptop.

They then put all this in my car and drove off with it. So in total it was about R180 000 worth of damage. After everything got stolen I got myself a nice little PC.

Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i, Q9300, Kingston Hyper-X DDR2-800, 2x 500GB, Nvidia 9800GTX, Coolermaster CM690, Acer 24" P243W, PS3 40GB, Logitech G11, Logitech G5.

So add all those items up and then you get a nice little amount ;P

P.S the first time I got robbed was the sunday morning in the 2 hours we were in church, the worst part about it all was that on Friday I spent about 5 hours putting in new lights and doing cable management on the thing. I got my 2nd pc the first week of August was such a cool thing that I had to benchmark every single thing I could get my hands on. We went down to cape town for the weekend(my uncle's 50th) And that Friday morning I was still thinking about whether I should take out my hard drives and graphics card just in case. But i didn't seeing as I was seeding a torrent.

But I know the ADT technicians had something to do with it. Just wish the police will one day call me back. After i've went there 20 times and called about 300 times I gave up.

Damn that sux ass dude!!!

All right, I have decided that this is what my system will be by the end of this year or at the beginning of next year:

Motherboard ASUS Rampage Extreme II
    CPU Intel Core i7 920
    G-Card XFX 8800GTX Ultra(Current card)
    RAM Corsair Dominator 3x 2GB Tri-Channel DDR3-1600
    HDD Western Digital 300Gig VelociRaptor
    Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
    PSU Coolermaster Ultimate Power 700 Watt
    Sound Card Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Total cost................ R21 400

The price might drop by a grand or two depending on how the two big cost items (motherboard and CPU) depreciate during the course of the year.

At least I'll be saving close to R5000 buying the RAM and HDD during my trip to Canada in May. Every little bit helps I guess.

Next years plans include a T260 and new G-Card.

What screen do you have now Toxin?

Good lord!

Here I am cringing at the thought of a R5k overhaul.

East London salaries CLEARLY are nowhere near Jhb ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoOkie View Post
    What screen do you have now Toxin?
    BenQ 22"

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Good lord!

Here I am cringing at the thought of a R5k overhaul.

East London salaries CLEARLY are nowhere near Jhb ones.
    I've been saving up since last year. Got over R20k now but still need to buy plane ticket to Canada. Just R10k tho which is a very good price, but then there's also spending money while I'm there. Hopefully I'll manage to get the RAM and HDD there. Strangely enough only those two items are worth buying there. The other parts only differ by a couple of hundred Rand.

Hell, the PSU is R500 cheaper here than there.

And here's me not even wanting to spend R500 on a psu.

Guess im not as hardcore a gamer as you lads. The only thing cool about my rig is my 32" lcd tv that i use as my main screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin View Post
    All right, I have decided that this is what my system will be by the end of this year or at the beginning of next year:

Motherboard ASUS Rampage Extreme II
    CPU Intel Core i7 920
    G-Card XFX 8800GTX Ultra(Current card)
    RAM Corsair Dominator 3x 2GB Tri-Channel DDR3-1600
    HDD Western Digital 300Gig VelociRaptor
    Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
    PSU Coolermaster Ultimate Power 700 Watt
    Sound Card Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Total cost................ R21 400

The price might drop by a grand or two depending on how the two big cost items (motherboard and CPU) depreciate during the course of the year.

At least I'll be saving close to R5000 buying the RAM and HDD during my trip to Canada in May. Every little bit helps I guess.

Next years plans include a T260 and new G-Card.
    Nice setup except for that WD hard drive.
    Those things only give serious load time improvement when setup in raid 0..Not worth the money!!