Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading costs??

Default Upgrading costs??

How much are you planning on spending on upgrades for your pc this year?

Ive already spent R8000 and im probably gonna end up spending another R13 000 on building myself a new Rig.

Give a breakdown of what your upgrading to and the costs involved.
    This should be interresting
    Eat - Sleep - Overclock - Repeat

Lets just say that my CPU cooler alone is gonna be roughly R8000 (wanna do phase change cooling)

Quote Originally Posted by _Caboose_ View Post
    Lets just say that my CPU cooler alone is gonna be roughly R8000 (wanna do phase change cooling)
    OMG
    That's insane dude.
    Im all for wicked gadgets and awsome cooling but I won't ever spend that much on cooling.

Asus X58 Chipset Board
    Intel Core™ i7 920
    3x 2GB DDR3-1800
    500Gig
    Coolermaster Cosmos S Case
    Coolermaster Ultimate Power 700 Watt
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

All in all around R15k, but it should be lower since I'm only buying at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin View Post
    Asus X58 Chipset Board
    Intel Core™ i7 920
    3x 2GB DDR3-1800
    500Gig
    Coolermaster Cosmos S Case
    Coolermaster Ultimate Power 700 Watt
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

All in all around R15k, but it should be lower since I'm only buying at the end of the year.
    Nice build mate.
    Im also heading in that direction but im going AMD phenom2 x4 940.

Might upgrade the gfx again which will mean between R3000-R4000, already upgrade the cpu for R2200. I am planning a major upgrade next year so I won't be doing much more this year. Planning to spend about R10 000-R12000 next year in upgrading the mobo,ram,psu,h/d,os and will probably need to replace the cpu and gfx again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    Might upgrade the gfx again which will mean between R3000-R4000, already upgrade the cpu for R2200. I am planning a major upgrade next year so I won't be doing much more this year. Planning to spend about R10 000-R12000 next year in upgrading the mobo,ram,psu,h/d,os and will probably need to replace the cpu and gfx again.
    What Graphics card are you getting? Price?
    What Cpu did you get for R2200?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    I'm thinking of waiting till next year as well. Not in a rush to upgrade just yet. My 8800GTX Ultra is still serving me well.

Might get a new HDD tho, current one is giving me crap.

I've spent R2000 on the lighting for my games room. Going to spend about another R1000 on it though :-/

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Give a breakdown of what your upgrading to and the costs involved.
    This should be interresting
    I was going to upgrade a little later on, but my old PC died, and with the reality that hardware prices could jump like software prices are I went ahead with it. So this is how much I've spend this month so far.

CPU
    Intel E8500. I'll tell you right now that I'm no fan of AMD - just to many disappointments from that side. I was looking for a Q6600 but it seems the stock just dried up when I was buying. Anyhow, they reckon that the E8500 is better than the Q6600 for gaming [for now]. Was going to wait till the i7s became more reasonable, but the DDR3 motherboards and RAM are still a little to demanding on my budget for now.

RAM
    4x1GB DDR2 800. Yip, went for 800s because... lets face it, I'm not the gamer I used to be so I don't see the need for higher. I admit that the "casual" option in games is more fun for me right now. I'm getting old To me, I need more RAM, not faster RAM [again,I could do without the DDR3]

Motherboard
    ASUS P5QL-E - More than I would have liked to spend. Motherboards are the bane of my existence. Usually I take the cheapest. Love the power management features of this board though.

PSU
    Cooler Master Extreme Power PSU - 550w
    My motherboard isnt SLI/CF, 550w should be more than enough for my needs. I personally think that power usage is highly overrated by the gaming community (seriously guys, 1000w PSUs? WTF?). I could have settled for a lower PSU, but the aging will push this boy down to 500w before I retire the PC to the server.

Graphics Card
    Geforce 9800GTX+. Again, I'll be honest - I'm no fan of AA. In my opinion, the noticeable difference at high resolutions is so little that you wouldn't even notice it within the action [if you wish to debate this, start a new thread]. And the 9800GTX can play any game high without AA, the GTX+ uses less power and I found it rather cheaply too so it was a sure sell. (I was looking into the 4870 but it was more expensive at the time). Considering I'd prob have to upgrade in a years time anyway, may as well not spend big now and wait to see what happens.

Screen
    Busy waiting for a 22", but it's been a hard month cash wise.

Keyboard, mouse
    Using my old mouse and keyboard

Case
    My old case, going on 5 years old now...

HDD
    Old hardrives (SATA)

DVD:
    DVD DL Writer (looked into blu-ray but i'll give it a pass till later)

So about R8 000 in total.
    Wait... what?