Thread: Konami Removes Mention Of Hideo Kojima From Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Box Art

Default Konami Removes Mention Of Hideo Kojima From Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Box Art

Less than two months before Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is released, it appears Konami is cleaning house. The latest move in distancing itself from Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions is to scrub his and his studio’s name off the box art for the game. This comes just days after the voice actor for Big Boss, Akio Otsuka took to the web to let everyone know the relationship between Kojima and Konami was officially coming to an end.

This is not the first time that the company has made sure people knew it would not be working with the Metal Gear series director in the near future. The firm has actually been systematically removing his name for a number of different projects for the better part of a year. Shortly after the release of the trailer that was meant to herald a new Silent Hill game, P.T. was released, any mention of Kojima being involved was scrubbed.

Not long after that, the game itself was scrubbed and Konami went to great lengths to make sure P.T. was not even available for download. Gamespot reports that placeholder artwork for The Phantom Pain had still been displaying the director’s name, but that is apparently not the case as of this morning.

The real question now is just how damaged the relationship between Kojima and Konami that the company is wiping out all reference to the hand he played in bringing the game to market? Right now it doesn’t appear a reconciliation is coming down the pike.

The Metal Gear Solid 5 release date has been set for September 1 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. The PC version is scheduled to arrive two weeks later.

Source: GamingBolt

There will be mention of him in the game's credits, I assume...

I'm pretty miffed over how they're handling this. It's like Konami is intent on burning this bridge completely..

In related news, I picked up Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes in the recent Steam sale, and it's absolutely brilliant. I haven't played such a good stealth/action game since.. well, since Metal Gear Solid. Wish they'd remaster that for pc..

Pretty much this.

Name:  CzQJ8Vs.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  22.6 KB

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar

This is just speculation, but the guy makes some good points.

I felt the need to chime in because there's a lot of people that are being reactionary to the Kojipro name drop. I suspect this may indicate Kojima is getting to keep his name, which technically is owned by Konami even once he's departed if going by the word of the law. As far as the legal side of things go, if Kojima opened another studio with his own name called "Kojima Studios" (or something equivalent) this could be something that he could potentially be sued for since it could create confusion with Konami's own property "Kojima Productions". I suspect Mr. Kojima has negotiated to keep his studio name which at first glance sounds so very commonsense, but this is an unusual situation given that no other big developers are named after their director so prominently like this. While not exactly the same, if you look at what happened with Infinity Ward a few years ago, the heads of the studio were dropped but they just created a new studio, but the old studio was retained by the original company, name and all. The complication for Mr. Kojima arises in the use of his very own name (and his penchant for liking to stick it everywhere). So I imagine this is the reason they're dropping the name, not because they're trying to erase his legacy, but because if Kojima opts to start a new studio elsewhere, Kojima will retain the right to name his Studio whatever he wants. It's really in Mr. Kojima's best interest NOT to be affiliated with Konami as his time with them comes to an end as far as his name and brand goes. Let's face it, "Kojima" means something. You know what you're getting and it's an important mark for him to keep. It's inherently valuable to him to retain that. And Konami isn't compelled to keep something on a game they're not going to own soon.

Konami get's their restructuring, Kojima keeps his name. Though us fans are left feeling out in the cold. Divorces are rough on the kids, but it really is in the best interest of Mr. Kojima that this happen. Yeah, it sucks for MGSV specifically, but in the long term, as fans, I think we should be happy that this may be an indication that his studio will at least keep that badge that we've come to love. There's likely a lot of words that kill going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. It'll be interesting to get the whole story once the dust has settled, but I just wanted to give my two rations on the situation.
    Source

TL;DR:
    Konami dropping Kojima's name MIGHT be in his best interest.