Thread: Female Portrayal in Games

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Default Female Portrayal in Games

So, the "good" people over on bulimia.com posted an article over the "real representation of woman in gaming". In this article they photoshopped a few female gaming icons to look "more like their real world counterparts". Here are some of the pictures they made:

Name:  Christie-Monteiro-Tekken-5.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  Cortana-Halo-4.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  235.6 KB

Name:  Helena-Douglas-Dead-Or-Alive-5.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  184.6 KB

Other pictures can be seem on their post on their website.

The point they are making is that these pictures reinforce a negative body image within woman playing these games, and help fuel eating disorders like Bulimia. In an interview with Polygon the creator of these pictures made the following statement:

"Every character design that perpetuates an unrealistic and impossible ideal for the female body distorts cultural perception of the female body, and in turn hurts all women," said project manager Sam Deford, in an interview with Polygon.
    He also includes men to equality sake though, saying:

"There are plenty of exceptional examples of men in games that look completely unrealistic and unlike any man you'd see on the street. I'd argue it hurts male body image, as well. The difference here is that the majority of women in gaming are hyper-sexualized and objectified. The same cannot be said of most male characters in games."
    In the end, it seems he wants to create awareness of the hypersexualization of woman in gaming by making them less attractive and more realistic looking. I have the following issues with this:

1. So in order to make these characters less of a sex object, they are portrayed as being bigger. This is super offensive, and pretty much isn't true at all. Any person of any size has the potential to be sexually attractive; that domain is not only hold by the super skinny.

2. Let's assume he is correct, and that these woman existed in the real world. Don't you think that the shear amount of physical activity these characters are put through will inevitably make them super skinny and super buff? I mean how many hours do you think Tekken fighters go through, so of course Christie will be ripped and looking buff.

3. So the realistic portrayal of woman are that they are bigger than in video games you say...well, guess what, there are actually really small girls in the real world as well. There are girls that are just naturally little and petite, so it's like this guy is frankly telling them they are not normal as well.

So many issues, and this can become quite a controversial topic, so what do you think, but keep the comments civil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community.

I'm so sick of this kinda shit.
    #SpareMe #Itsafuckingvideogame

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community. Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.
    Trophies Gift of giving Reputation precedes them

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm just wondering, if they can't even get magazines and ads that are aimed at women to stop the "hypersexualization of woman", why do they think they can do it with things that are mostly aimed at guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoup View Post
    I'm not saying it's right, but I'm just wondering, if they can't even get magazines and ads that are aimed at women to stop the "hypersexualization of woman", why do they think they can do it with things that are mostly aimed at guys?
    Agreed. Go picket Cosmopolitan to stop with their "real representation of women" before you do it to what is now largely recognized as a legitimite ART FORM. if the creators want their females wearing nothing but lace and to have barbie-like proportions (lets not forget BARBIE of all "role-models"), then its their artistic direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Threadkiller - Got the last word in. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.

Also, generally models and actors are those that have a much bigger impact on general perceptions of beauty. People around the world watch much more TV and movies and read magazines than play video games with over sexuallized characters. I think it comes down to the fact that those are REAL PEOPLE. People in the real life. Video game characters exists in a fantasy world, and the greater public realizes this. That is why I'm pretty sure that nobody will be intimidated or reinforce any negative body image, as they are not real, thus they cannot be compared to actual living human. This whole article is kinda stupid and sensationalist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

May I also point out that no, these AREN'T realistic depictions. You don't get chubby lethal warriors. that first pic is actually quite accurate, if slightly unattractive (not a fan of the overly toned). her photoshop is just a tubby chick who wouldn't be able to do those finishing moves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 5: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Faced down the Tuatha Deohn and unravelled the mysteries of Fate. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! Threadkiller - Got the last word in.
    Trophies MyGaming Champion Vanguard

I have to agree with Metalsoup here, I am a gamer, I don't get really offended at the way they portray females in games - its fantasy isn't it? Besides most games have the option to create your own female and you get to make her look the way you want to. The only times it bugged me is in asian mmo's converted to western ones. But in most games I have no issues at all with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Trophies Save the date

I do get where people come from with this as it would be nice to have more realistic presentations of women in videogames. God knows that women wearing strings for clothing is way overdone and creatively bankrupt at this point, but trying to force better depictions on existing games is BS. I'm completely against people who don't make videogames trying to tell people who do make videogames, how they should make videogames.

If you want a games to have pan-morphic, demi-sexual genderfluid chubby latino chicks in them, then cool. Just don't complain because someone doesn't want to make it for you. Either play what's available or make your own games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

I think the greater concern is the portrayal of women in @DieGrootHammer 's Image of the Day posts...

There's a GIF for that MetalSoup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards Member of the Year - Voted by the community. Balls of Steel - Community-selected custom user title.
    Trophies Gift of giving Reputation precedes them

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    If you want a games to have pan-morphic, demi-sexual genderfluid chubby latino chicks in them, then cool. Just don't complain because someone doesn't want to make it for you. Either play what's available or make your own games.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMol View Post
    I think the greater concern is the portrayal of women in @DieGrootHammer 's Image of the Day posts...
    Speaking of women in Image of the Day, what the hell ever happened to @Venom ?