You should join our great gaming community

Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyGaming newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other authors lurking around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Default Any other authors lurking around here.

I've been writing for the past 6 years, and just recently published my "doorstop" epic fantasy on Amazon, and was wondering if there are any other writers/ aspiring writers hiding in the shadows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

Not that I know of but do post link please
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    I've been writing for the past 6 years, and just recently published my "doorstop" epic fantasy on Amazon, and was wondering if there are any other writers/ aspiring writers hiding in the shadows?
    Awesome! Post a link so that I can get it ave!

I wrote a novel about 7 or 8 years ago but it was so bad that I never showed it to anyone. I realised that I'm not very good at it at all. I've got a lot of respect for good writers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

I remember that @OmegaFenix had a published book.
    T A N S T A A F L

iGame official representative Spartan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

It is nice to see a fellow indie author. I am busy with my first novel and will be self-publishing by the end of this year probably.

Can you supply me with a link to your Amazon author page? Or your Goodreads author page?

A quick question I ask all ZA writers publishing on Amazon: Did you use Payoneer or a similar service to get your sale royalties? Or do you use a different service to get your payments from Amazon?
    Last edited by Spartan; 26-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.

"What's with the poop face?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Not that I know of but do post link please
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Awesome! Post a link so that I can get it ave!

I wrote a novel about 7 or 8 years ago but it was so bad that I never showed it to anyone. I realised that I'm not very good at it at all. I've got a lot of respect for good writers.
    Well congrats on writing a novel, I know how much work that takes, so my hat off to you. Did you just do a first draft or did you do the editing pass as well?
    Man when I go back and look at my early drafts, they were terrible. I cringe that I actually showed them to anyone, but I was so enthusiastic.
    I thought I was a decent enough writer in school- I could write essays and blog posts, so I assumed this wouldn't be a problem. I'd be done in 6 months tops... Yeah right lol. Novel writing uses such a different skill-set. You have to learn dialogue, character and story arcs, building tension etc- stuff they didn't warn you about in college. I can't tell you how many times I almost smashed my computer against the wall and walked away forever.

I'm glad I pushed through though. It was so much work, but having something out there at last is the most amazing feeling.

Here's the Amazon link. It's quite a long book so the "Look inside" sample is around 30,000 words. If you guys think it's something you'd enjoy pm me your emails and i'll send you a mobi/epub.

iGame official representative Spartan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    Well congrats on writing a novel, I know how much work that takes, so my hat off to you. Did you just do a first draft or did you do the editing pass as well?
    Man when I go back and look at my early drafts, they were terrible. I cringe that I actually showed them to anyone, but I was so enthusiastic.
    I thought I was a decent enough writer in school- I could write essays and blog posts, so I assumed this wouldn't be a problem. I'd be done in 6 months tops... Yeah right lol. Novel writing uses such a different skill-set. You have to learn dialogue, character and story arcs, building tension etc- stuff they didn't warn you about in college. I can't tell you how many times I almost smashed my computer against the wall and walked away forever.

I'm glad I pushed through though. It was so much work, but having something out there at last is the most amazing feeling.

Here's the Amazon link. It's quite a long book so the "Look inside" sample is around 30,000 words. If you guys think it's something you'd enjoy pm me your emails and i'll send you a mobi/epub.
    Awesome. See my post just above yours here. 850 pages...sheesh dude, a true epic.

"What's with the poop face?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It is nice to see a fellow indie author. I am busy with my first novel and will be self-publishing by the end of this year probably.

Can you supply me with a link to your Amazon author page? Or your Goodreads author page?
    Nice! All the best man. I thought I was alone in this, but I can't tell you how many good South African writers I'm meeting at the moment. What can you tell me about your novel, or are you trying to keep it under wraps for now?

For me self publishing really is the way to go if you're willing to put the time and money into marketing. Unless you're Brandon Sanderson or Robert Jordan, the big five aren't going to put a lot of time or money into your book, and for that you get low royalties, draconian contracts, zero control and outrageous ebook prices. I was listening to a published author discussing it, and he was saying that for first time novels, they put a week into promotions- that's it. Thereafter you have to do it yourself.
    Things have changed so much, if you want to get noticed, you have to bring something to the table. Either get an Audience on a site like Wattpad, or (Like Michael J Sullivan) sell enough copies to demand their attention.

What made you decide on the self-pub route?

The Amazon link is in my previous post.
    Here's my goodreads page, but it's pretty sparse at the moment. I haven't had much time to do anything with it.
    By the way, same offer as above. I'll give it to my community and sell it to everyone else.

A quick question I ask all ZA writers publishing on Amazon: Did you use Payoneer or a similar service to get your sale royalties? Or do you use a different service to get your payments from Amazon?
    Thanks for the reminder. I need to still look into that. I know Amazon doesn't do EFT into a South African bank account, they send cheques, which seems a little antiquated, and I don't exactly trust our post office. I've got a friend who's doing quite well on Amazon, so I'll ask him what he uses and get back to you.

Awesome. See my post just above yours here. 850 pages...sheesh dude, a true epic.
    haha. That's why it took me so long! if I had to do it all over again I would have started out on something much shorter- 100,000 words, and then built up to the epic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 2: Borderlands 2 - They're weak to bullets, minion! MyGame Challenge 1: Dark Souls - Achievement Unlocked: You Died. Lots of times. But you somehow finished the game.

Bought it through Amazon. May still be a while before I start reading it but I look forward to starting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 7: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Nemesis of the Uruk-hai. MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 3: Psychonauts - Completed their Basic Braining. (Achievement Unlocked: Did not let the Circus drive them insane.)

Also can I just say congratulations on sticking with it.

I've started so many times and not finished.
    T A N S T A A F L