View Poll Results: Are you planning to upgrade to Windows 10?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep! On launch day!

22 33.33%
  • Yep. Sometime during the free upgrade period.

35 53.03%
  • Nope. I like Windows 7.

4 6.06%
  • Nope. Don't qualify for the free upgrade.

1 1.52%
  • Nope. Not a Windows user.

0 0%
  • Where's my custom option? (Other, specify in thread)

4 6.06%
Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 discussion thread

I want to run a repair, the issues that I had is getting slowly worse, apps that are installed, are not recognized by the pc and if i even try to open a video I have to go to the file location, run the app from there and then load a video into it.

[MENTION=2530]Wyvern[/MENTION], are you running Avast anti-virus? I read it is the cause of many issues currently on Win 10. Since uninstalling and going back to AVG I haven't had the unresponsive start menu et al issues anymore...
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
    click activate windows
    it wants me to add a code/says the current code is not valid?
    Corsair Carbide Spec-01, MSI Z97Z SLI Krait ed., Seasonic S12II 520w, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970, Mushkin Blackline 8gb, i5 4690k, 1 TB

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    [MENTION=2530]Wyvern[/MENTION], are you running Avast anti-virus? I read it is the cause of many issues currently on Win 10. Since uninstalling and going back to AVG I haven't had the unresponsive start menu et al issues anymore...
    Nope no avast.

I have managed to fix the one issue - which was the windows key and search not working by doing this :

A brief shortcut:

01. Go to partition http://mygaming.co.za/news"C:"http://mygaming.co.za/news root directory and open the "Windows" directory.

02. Search "cmd.exe". Run as administrator.

03. Paste above command, starting at: "powershell...

Example:

powershell

Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

Altho I couldnt get it working via cmd, so I went to powershell directly in C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 and ran the exe and added the Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

That ran something and then it worked. I have a gut feeling that the apps that are not working properly are stuff that hasnt been updated to windows 10 yet. So I am running them one by one and adding them in compatibility mode. But not all are working 100% yet but at least they are all running.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepa34 View Post
    it wants me to add a code/says the current code is not valid?
    strange should have worked, I noticed that the serial key is the same on all 3 of my laptops.

Ichigo Ftw

Quote Originally Posted by JudeC View Post
    so i went ahead and upgraded to win 10 last night,

first thoughts - not happy

i can no longer access my network shares....

some folks online had the same issue and fixed it with regedit - but doing registry editing on day one of a new OS, drives me up the wrong way, and cause its so new, cannot find a workable fix for my issue.

colour me not impressed
    UPDATE:

Ok so figured out that as soon as there is more than one person logged onto the windows 10 machine, it will not connect to my network shares. If i log the other users off, then presto, my network shares are back

very weird
    “Well, if you see anything crawl out of the sea and try to breathe, you could try telling it not to bother.”

Quote Originally Posted by JudeC View Post
    UPDATE:

Ok so figured out that as soon as there is more than one person logged onto the windows 10 machine, it will not connect to my network shares. If i log the other users off, then presto, my network shares are back

very weird
    :-) That issue kinda existed since Windows XP

Are you running Windows 10 Home or Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    :-) That issue kinda existed since Windows XP

Are you running Windows 10 Home or Pro?
    Windows 10 Pro (I think). i never had the issue when it was on win7, didnt even know it was an issue. its really inconvenient as both my wife and i use the machine, but it's not life ending as at least i can know how to fix it. just a pain in the ass
    “Well, if you see anything crawl out of the sea and try to breathe, you could try telling it not to bother.”

did my upgrade this weekend. LOVING IT!

The only problem I had recently is that my PC did not connect to my network on startup (said network cable unplugged). Disabling and then re-enabling would fix the problem.

I was using a static IP, but high enough up the IP range that other devices wouldn't populate it. Even so, the disabling and re-enabling worked so it couldn't have been an IP conflict.

Still, as a test I swapped my PC back to auto obtain an IP. So far it hasn't happened again, so I'm not sure what caused it.

The only other thing I have at the moment that is semi annoying is that if I drag something from my one screen to the next, it will want to lock that window against the side of my screen instead of going over the next screen, unless you drag the window sufficiently fast. Will probably get used to it and drag faster but it didn't do it on Win7 or Win8.1