Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Windows 10 to block unauthorised hardware and software

  1. #31

    Default

    Google controls us hypnotically , Microsoft commands us openly and Linux is lost in the woods having a braai .

    The main issue here for me is , if I buy something I want to decide what I can and cant plug in .
    This clause of theirs is so open ended , if they decided my GFX is not on their list or if I have modified some component with alternate firmware to achieve something they have the ability to block use via Win 10 . Who decides what I can or cant use ? should that not be me ?

    Originally posted by Tpex (2009 game review) having a knife fight in a phone booth

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Google controls us hypnotically , Microsoft commands us openly and Linux is lost in the woods having a braai .

    The main issue here for me is , if I buy something I want to decide what I can and cant plug in .
    This clause of theirs is so open ended , if they decided my GFX is not on their list or if I have modified some component with alternate firmware to achieve something they have the ability to block use via Win 10 . Who decides what I can or cant use ? should that not be me ?
    Yeah, but say you buy a APAC XBox controller intended for the APAC reason, because you're cheap and live in say the US, they (MS) should surely reserve the right to not allow you to use the APAC controller in the US if the US/International hardware is freely available in your country albeit slightly more expensive? It's just business and companies are in the business of making money, so if they can protect their income stream all the better.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Yeah, but say you buy a APAC XBox controller intended for the APAC reason, because you're cheap and live in say the US, they (MS) should surely reserve the right to not allow you to use the APAC controller in the US if the US/International hardware is freely available in your country albeit slightly more expensive? It's just business and companies are in the business of making money, so if they can protect their income stream all the better.
    I disagree

    That amounts to them controlling what I buy because I bought one of there products , whats to stop them from allowing me to connect my android phone , or sony camera , and then tell me to use what they deem good for me .
    If I want to buy a APAC controller I should be able to , if they want me to buy their product make the price cheaper and compete in that market.

    Having the power to just reject my choice , will and im not being dramatic lead us into a slave nation .

    Choice is fundamental thing about being human , and if you want to take away my ability to choose then I will just broom MS.
    There are many choices now available they are not the only giants around.

    Originally posted by Tpex (2009 game review) having a knife fight in a phone booth

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I disagree

    That amounts to them controlling what I buy because I bought one of there products , whats to stop them from allowing me to connect my android phone , or sony camera , and then tell me to use what they deem good for me .
    If I want to buy a APAC controller I should be able to , if they want me to buy their product make the price cheaper and compete in that market.

    Having the power to just reject my choice , will and im not being dramatic lead us into a slave nation .

    Choice is fundamental thing about being human , and if you want to take away my ability to choose then I will just broom MS.
    There are many choices now available they are not the only giants around.
    Act 37 of 1997 disagrees with you wholly

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Act 37 of 1997 disagrees with you wholly
    While I can see how that could be lead into Counterfeit in some stretch , A lot of them have open peripheral patents and base patents and GNU patents that they are based on .

    For example in a reverse sort scenario , what are the legalities on say a mouse ( computer peripheral ) this although is widely used as part of windows PC is not solely theirs. What happens if they don't like something Roccat makes .Is it their choice what one could or couldn't use

    Originally posted by Tpex (2009 game review) having a knife fight in a phone booth

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I disagree

    That amounts to them controlling what I buy because I bought one of there products , whats to stop them from allowing me to connect my android phone , or sony camera.
    Because that's a different issue from what you are talking about. They've done this before with netscape navigator, I doubt they will try it again.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    While I can see how that could be lead into Counterfeit in some stretch , A lot of them have open peripheral patents and base patents and GNU patents that they are based on .

    For example in a reverse sort scenario , what are the legalities on say a mouse ( computer peripheral ) this although is widely used as part of windows PC is not solely theirs. What happens if they don't like something Roccat makes .Is it their choice what one could or couldn't use
    If Roccat stops shipping to South Africa because of political differences and Roccat requests that all new Roccat hardware should be deemed as "unauthorized" in South Africa they will submit a request to MS and have to supply the device identifiers. MS may then honour the request and bring down the ban hammer. That will result in any Roccat hardware with a specific device identifier to then end up as disabled for Windows 10 users in South Africa. This will only affect grey/parallel imports then in effect which is covered by the act. It's not that the manufacturer doesn't want you to use their hardware, they only want you to use the hardware that was intended for your market. This could (in the case of say a WiFi adapter) be because ICASA has requested the manufacturer to say not ship a specific version of a card/device to South Africa, the manufacturer will then go through the same process (if they want) and can request for the hardware to be disabled in specific regions.

    This by the way is nothing new, and is being done sometimes for various reasons.

  8. #38

    Default

    I know it isnt new but its becoming more of a pattern , and acceptable or accepted.

    Personally I don't like it , between this and a few other gripes with Win 10 I think they are making the box way too small .

    Originally posted by Tpex (2009 game review) having a knife fight in a phone booth

  9. #39

    Default

    Microsoft has been trying to close their operating systems for a while now. Plenty of people voiced concerns about the move to a more closed operating system environment when Win8 came out.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Microsoft has been trying to close their operating systems for a while now. Plenty of people voiced concerns about the move to a more closed operating system environment when Win8 came out.
    Uhm, actually it's completely the opposite. MS has been opening up a lot more, although they will never release source code for many of their proprietary software the Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 R2, Azure, SQL, etc APIs are actually quite open and allow for developers to really tightly integrate into the MS stack.

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware
    By Necuno in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-01-2014, 07:00 AM
  2. BSOD error: Not sure if it's hardware or software
    By masheleni in forum Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
  3. BioShock's Rapture block-by-block in Minecraft
    By James in forum Gaming News Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  4. Steam Hardware and Software Survey Results
    By Tinman in forum Gaming Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-08-2010, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •