Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: mmo's... is there any real hope out there ?

Default mmo's... is there any real hope out there ?

After playing wow for a very long time, i have taken a break and moved back over to age of conan. Yes i've played most of the mmo's and attempted mmo's out there like Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa, Guild wars, Silk Road, Requiem: Bloodymare, Linage, Mythos and 3 other i really can't remember heh....

Most are build around; get this, kill that or deliver abc. Thinking back to all the old questing games- mmo's have become their next generation, but i do miss them from time to time. For example monkey island was really funny, good and entertaining. It actually had a story, a plot and some interesting puzzles to solve.

Back to my post, after spending my whole sunday (yesterday) on age of conan; i had to ask what for did i do it ? why did i put so many hours and played...played...played for ?

lol, yes i did it so that i could reach level 40 from level 37. Just for that mount, the horse so that i didn't need to run around. Now here comes in my question, what was the point, why would one do that ?... for that one extra item, profession, level or feat ?

I mean seriously; spending R170 p'm to have online single player ? rofl it seems trivial at times seriously. (i do however co-op with my fiancee and other players from time to time)

One of my main gripes is that, their just honestly isn't a real, proper and decent mmo out there. that game that would have me go WTF OMG ZOMG KEK this is the ***t, the ****ing greatest thing known to man- the game that i want to sell my soul to !!!!!

/sigh, maybe i'm just a dying gamer in the sense of- knowing both where games and computers came from, how back in the day games was really mind blowing and didn't just cater for the casual or he-who-buys-from-gold-seller players...

...but personally i'm tired of magic and fantasy based mmo's, its like coke cola- its ****ing everywhere you go. Don't get me wrong i love da magic and voodoo, but geez its getting rehashed like wwII games and this is why i'm Conan at the moment for its really allot less on the faerie side like wow for example (/puts on flame suit) and aslo the reason why i played hellgate to its bitter ends, it allmost cyberpunk style was neat in its own.

The only mmo that had my mind at the moment though i don't play it that much is guildwars factions- for my the asian mythology in it its just awesome. Its one of the very few that actually feels like an Dungeon and Dragons, roplay session apart form just quickly doing a dungeon / item run.

...o well guess in the end it comes down to what sells and what keeps the money flowing in even if its a shell catering for masses instead of being just brilliant and original.

-lets hope that Guild Wars 2, darkfall, aion, immortal and maybe kotor might be something worth paying for without the tedious, silly repetitions and the how ****ing good i look of todays mmo's. There is always Huxley, which will hopefully surpase and take us further than hellgate did.....
    Last edited by Necuno; 23-02-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added Guild Wars 2 to the hopefull
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

Looking forward to that Aion ...

I'm also at the point where I don't really team anymore on my usual MMO, apart from when the clan wants to go do a raid and needs an extra hand.
    With ages comes skills! I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Necuno View Post
    After playing wow for a very long time, i have taken a break and moved back over to age of conan. Yes i've played most of the mmo's and attempted mmo's out there like Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa, Guild wars, Silk Road, Requiem: Bloodymare, Linage, Mythos and 3 other i really can't remember heh....

Most are build around; get this, kill that or deliver abc. Thinking back to all the old questing games- mmo's have become their next generation, but i do miss them from time to time. For example monkey island was really funny, good and entertaining. It actually had a story, a plot and some interesting puzzles to solve.

Back to my post, after spending my whole sunday (yesterday) on age of conan; i had to ask what for did i do it ? why did i put so many hours and played...played...played for ?

lol, yes i did it so that i could reach level 40 from level 37. Just for that mount, the horse so that i didn't need to run around. Now here comes in my question, what was the point, why would one do that ?... for that one extra item, profession, level or feat ?

I mean seriously; spending R170 p'm to have online single player ? rofl it seems trivial at times seriously. (i do however co-op with my fiancee and other players from time to time)

One of my main gripes is that, their just honestly isn't a real, proper and decent mmo out there. that game that would have me go WTF OMG ZOMG KEK this is the ***t, the ****ing greatest thing known to man- the game that i want to sell my soul to !!!!!

/sigh, maybe i'm just a dying gamer in the sense of- knowing both where games and computers came from, how back in the day games was really mind blowing and didn't just cater for the casual or he-who-buys-from-gold-seller players...

...but personally i'm tired of magic and fantasy based mmo's, its like coke cola- its ****ing everywhere you go. Don't get me wrong i love da magic and voodoo, but geez its getting rehashed like wwII games and this is why i'm Conan at the moment for its really allot less on the faerie side like wow for example (/puts on flame suit) and aslo the reason why i played hellgate to its bitter ends, it allmost cyberpunk style was neat in its own.

The only mmo that had my mind at the moment though i don't play it that much is guildwars factions- for my the asian mythology in it its just awesome. Its one of the very few that actually feels like an Dungeon and Dragons, roplay session apart form just quickly doing a dungeon / item run.

...o well guess in the end it comes down to what sells and what keeps the money flowing in even if its a shell catering for masses instead of being just brilliant and original.

-lets hope that darkfall, aion, immortal and maybe kotor might be something worth paying for without the tedious, silly repetitions and the how ****ing good i look of todays mmo's. There is always Huxley, which will hopefully surpase and take us further than hellgate did.....
    Sounds to me like you reached a plato.
    This means you must either change things up a bit, meaning, change what you have been doing up till now and start playing different games or change your playstyle, like if you did PvE, then change to PvP or change your gaming genre, like play some horrors, instead of fantasy, etc.
    Or play some console games, etc.

There are a hell of a lot of variety out there, so you shouldn't be finding you in this position you are in.

Maybe just take a break from gaming in general if you feel so unfulfilled and unsatisfied?

You actually mentioned a very good point and it is something that quite often makes people feel guilty and that you are not getting enough out of a game.... and that is the paying aspect, especially when you pay monthly for a game.
    You feel obliged to play the game, even though you don't 'really' enjoy it (you might have in the beginning when everything was exciting and fresh), otherwise, if you do not play, then you are not getting your money's worth.

It is natural to start wondering whether something is worth it when spending the money doesn't feel like it anymore.

A lot of games have become a grindfest, even though you don't really enjoy it, but you have to get your money's worth, so you grind away.

I saw several times posts by Voicy indicating grinding to death and I am not sure whether he is actually enjoying it or just doing it for a sense of achievement.
    And this exact same thing are done by hundreds of thousands of other gamers as well. So it is not an isolated incident.

my 2c.

pc
    Last edited by lilDeath; 23-02-2009 at 10:40 AM.
    What the mind can conceive, it can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by lilDeath View Post
    A lot of games have become a grindfest, even though you don't really enjoy it, but you have to get your money's worth, so you grind away.
    Ain't that the truth ... been using the fire/kins on both my accounts to grind and slot up my toons for PvP in CoH ... but I am sick and tired of this, to just do it because there is no more content, because it has become a time killer and because it feels like you have to be there for the rest of the guild/super group if and when they need you
    With ages comes skills! I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!

Guild Wars 2 will be my saviour.
    PSN: LydonMcG

Quote Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
    PLUS it will be free to play < This is BIG for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
    noted and added to my hopefull list...
    // Previously known as Blind Faith or Pr⊕phet
    // Sign up to Greenman Gaming and get $2 FREE in-store credit.

I know what you mean, but what I think is going to save MMOs...Infinity: The Quest for Earth.

Unlike all the other games which are experience/quest based, in Infinity you can literally fly to thousands of planets, gather resources, battle other players, discover new places, even diplomacy, and the leveling system is completely unique. Check out the website for more info, but it looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity
    Infinity employs an open-ended world design, in which a player can control everything from a small shuttle to massive military dreadnaught, a single mining operation to an entire vast corporate empire, all without having to change characters. A completely player-skill based game design, Infinity sheds the need for character classes and skills by embracing self-balance over arbitrary limitation, allowing players to choose their own path to make their name across the galaxy.

Although all players are expected to act in concordance with their personal motivations, Infinity is not a traditional role playing game. The actions of a single player greatly affect the evolution of their character. Your character might grow from their humble beginnings as a young military officer to become the master of a vast corporate empire, or even a wanted mercenary and pirate.

The game mechanics do not emphasize any particular game play style - combat, trade, exploration, social relationships, you are free to choose your own path and goals. Players can choose from a number of interesting character backgrounds that serve as your characters personal history, circumstances, and setting in the Infinity universe to help ground new players in their new boundless horizon of stars. The only limit is your own imagination!
    Another cool quote:

Combat in Infinity functions in real-time, utilizing Newtonian physics to control the fluid realistic movements of player ships and objects. Where the outcome of combat is determined by your own intelligence and reflexes. Not the level and class of another player!

Like all massively multiplayer online (MMO) games, you will connect to an online server shared by thousands of other players at any time. But, unlike other MMOs, the Infinity universe is an entirely persistent. The actions of your characters do not stop when you log off - as the actions of your characters continue to progress and evolve, even while you are offline.

By utilizing the advanced procedural techniques of the I-Novae Engine, Infinity has unshackled itself from the limitations of its forbearers, allowing for the dynamic generation of countless star systems and planets, each unique and awaiting to be discovered by a player. Drawing upon plausible astronomic scales and distances of stellar objects, the precise orbital path of every celestial body is modeled, as each planet and star moves continuously within the galaxy. Allowing players to glimpse the double sunrise of a binary star system on some distant rocky world, to the total eclipse of a tiny moon orbiting a massive gas giant thousands of light years from your home planet - every vista, every horizon is wholly unique in Infinity.
    Last edited by Shamrock; 23-02-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Sounds like EVE-Online to a degree.

The moment I read boundless in a game's description, I read "grind".

The 3 MMO's I am keeping an eye on are Aion, Guild Wars 2 and KOTOR.

I'm looking forward to KOTOR the most.