Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Books that aren't movies yet for some reason...

Default Books that aren't movies yet for some reason...

Last night I started reading the All You Need Is Kill series which inspired the awesome Edge of Tomorrow movie, and it got me thinking... Hollywood has always had a habit of turning books into movies to help fuel their G5's and Hummer limos, but there are so many awesome books/graphic novels out there that hasn't even glimpsed at a big screen. Instead we get brain dead drivel like Twilight and 50 shades of who gives a fuck.

And a lot of the time that they do decide to turn a good book into a movie they make a mess of it (pretty much every Stephen King movie ever made)

So if you were head of a big movie production company and had any say, who's writings would you like to give the silk screen treatment?

I know top of my list would be every book Terry Pratchett ever wrote

Also, and this will fit in quite nicely with the Hollywood types, was the books by Douglas Hill. He targeted teens/young adults with his novels and I still remember them quite fondly.

the Last Legionary quartet of novels would easily be a new film series with new IP and a little bit of buffing and polishing will see the dollars quite literally flowing in. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Also, and this will fit in quite nicely with the Hollywood types, was the books by Douglas Hill. He targeted teens/young adults with his novels and I still remember them quite fondly.

the Last Legionary quartet of novels would easily be a new film series with new IP and a little bit of buffing and polishing will see the dollars quite literally flowing in. IMHO
    I am not familiar with his work but from what I skimmed on wikipedia it sounds pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by MalicE View Post
    I am not familiar with his work but from what I skimmed on wikipedia it sounds pretty good
    It's light enough with a basic storyline concept for teens to suck it up and his writing style (which was heavily criticized) is very fast paced and action packed. Most of these novels will easily convert into new IP and should be relatively easy to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    It's light enough with a basic storyline concept for teens to suck it up and his writing style (which was heavily criticized) is very fast paced and action packed. Most of these novels will easily convert into new IP and should be relatively easy to digest.
    and yet stephenie meyer got published and a 6 movie deal. no justice in this world!

Altered Carbon would be my first choice, I know some or other studio bought the film rights some time ago, but it doesn't look like anything will happen with it.

Wheel of Time would be awesome as well, but a series would work much better than a movie for that.

Locke & Key would be brilliant! but *spit* Fox got the rights, made a TV pilot, ditched it before airing it, and now they're just sitting on it

Honestly, I had to look up who this Stephenie Meyer was. Realized I'm way out of touch with things. Probably because I prefer to read books written by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Philip K. Dick, L. Ron Hubbard, Kurt Vonnegut, Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov. But then again, I'm not quite normal.

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, and consequently the entire Reckoners series. A sci-fi epic that turns the superhero genre and its tropes on its head. The tale of an event that has humans manifesting amazing abilities but none of these are heroes and it's up to humans to stand againsts them Quite relevant in the era of Superhero films that we're in. And the biggest thing about Sanderson is the fact that there's a system to his madness in terms of sci-fi and fantasy (let me be frank, there's a lot of madness, which often makes the system all the more mind-blowing).

And I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Mistborn Trilogy in film (More Brandson Sanderson)

- - - - - - - - - - Double Post Merged - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wlad View Post
    Altered Carbon would be my first choice, I know some or other studio bought the film rights some time ago, but it doesn't look like anything will happen with it.

Wheel of Time would be awesome as well, but a series would work much better than a movie for that.
    I really would love to see Wheel of Time as a TV show TBH.

Kingkiller chronicals and the night angel series would make amazing movies