Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fair price to ask for my current PC

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I agree with this! Just get a proper GPU and PSU and then maybe later upgrade to i7. but the Ram and mobo should be fine for some time
    A new PSU, you say? Why would you add that [rather than an SSD] to my shopping list. [I am still waiting for my money to come through [and wondering how much use the 4Gb GTX 960 would be to me in particular.]
    =|This space for rent|=

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    A new PSU, you say? Why would you add that [rather than an SSD] to my shopping list. [I am still waiting for my money to come through [and wondering how much use the 4Gb GTX 960 would be to me in particular.]
    With a 550W Bronze PSU you will not be able to do much in terms of ANY thing else. I would say Proper PSU before a GPU. Does not help you have a GPU that your PSU won't be able to run. Never mind thinking of an SSD

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Nah, that PSU is fine for now. Your components won't draw close to 550W. I have a more powerful PC with higher power draw components and it draws 390W when I game.

If you want a nice budget SSD (not sure how much you were looking to spend on an SSD) look at the Crucial MX or BX100 series. You can get a 250GB one for R1500, or you can pay R3000 for the 500GB one. If you're looking at the 500GB though, perhaps rather consider getting a Samsung 850 EVO. They are about R3300 and are great drives.

I don't see this question asked yet, or the answer stated. At what resolution do you game at? 1080p? If so, the GTX960 will work, but you won't be pushing ultra and getting 60fps. You can spend about R1000 more and get a R9 280X. Or spend R2000 more and get a GTX970
    Last edited by Blazzok; 09-09-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    Nah, that PSU is fine for now. Your components won't draw close to 550W. I have a more powerful PC with higher power draw components and it draws 390W when I game.

If you want a nice budget SSD (not sure how much you were looking to spend on an SSD) look at the Crucial MX or BX100 series. You can get a 250GB one for R1500, or you can pay R3000 for the 500GB one. If you're looking at the 500GB though, perhaps rather consider getting a Samsung 850 EVO. They are about R3300 and are great drives.

I don't see this question asked yet, or the answer stated. At what resolution do you game at? 1080p? If so, the GTX960 will work, but you won't be pushing ultra and getting 60fps. You can spend about R1000 more and get a R9 280X. Or spend R2000 more and get a GTX970
    IMO it is not good to run a hectic setup on a Bronze Certified 550W power Supply.
    It is going to give in much quicker, and a higher chance of damaging the rest of your PC.
    So it is not only the amount of W that matters, but how the power gets delivered.

The power your PC gets is like the Oil and Petrol in your car. Good Oil and 95 Octane petrol will do the same thing essentially as cheap oil and 93 Octane petrol, BUT the Higher octane petrol and good Oil will make your car last longer and run better. Hope that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    IMO it is not good to run a hectic setup on a Bronze Certified 550W power Supply.
    It is going to give in much quicker, and a higher chance of damaging the rest of your PC.
    So it is not only the amount of W that matters, but how the power gets delivered.

The power your PC gets is like the Oil and Petrol in your car. Good Oil and 95 Octane petrol will do the same thing essentially as cheap oil and 93 Octane petrol, BUT the Higher octane petrol and good Oil will make your car last longer and run better. Hope that makes sense
    No, I understand your point. But a bronze certified PSU is already a good PSU. The GX 550W is not a bad PSU in the least, just loud.
    Also this is not a hectic setup and I think this PSU will be more than good enough for it. Also it won't draw close to the PSU's peak power so the PSU won't be under strain.

Ofcourse a better PSU is great and can last longer, but I won't say sell this PSU and replace it with a gold certified one.

I don't think we are helping [MENTION=180]phoenix[/MENTION] now by giving conflicting opinions. Obviously the choice still lies with them in the end. Perhaps we can get some other opinions from other members

Quote Originally Posted by Blazzok View Post
    No, I understand your point. But a bronze certified PSU is already a good PSU. The GX 550W is not a bad PSU in the least, just loud.
    Also this is not a hectic setup and I think this PSU will be more than good enough for it. Also it won't draw close to the PSU's peak power so the PSU won't be under strain.

Ofcourse a better PSU is great and can last longer, but I won't say sell this PSU and replace it with a gold certified one.

I don't think we are helping [MENTION=180]phoenix[/MENTION] now by giving conflicting opinions. Obviously the choice still lies with them in the end. Perhaps we can get some other opinions from other members
    I do agree yes. But I don't think its smart considering a GTX 960 and a SSD before a Better PSU. Rather get the foundation of the computer in order, to allow you to Upgrade even more in the future if need by and not limit yourself. PSU, CPU and Motherboard. if they are very good and reliable then you have many more options for a much longer time. Only makes much more sense to me !

My recent summons didn't work, but [MENTION=21]The Joker[/MENTION] reveal yourself!

I think the PSU is good enough though

The PSU is fine for now, I would upgrade it later on though.
    I would however not recommend the 960 at that price point but rather the R9 280x from Wootware.
    contact me if you are in Cape Town and looking for PC Hardware at very competitive pricing. We also do web and graphic design.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    The PSU is fine for now, I would upgrade it later on though.
    I would however not recommend the 960 at that price point but rather the R9 280x from Wootware.
    Well, considering the DX12 and AMD hype recently, an R9 280x might just be a card to have considering its price / performance ratio. Mine is still quite snug in my SFF gaming PC and I doubt it'll need replacing soon.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Hi.

Thank you for your advice thus far.
    [MENTION=6280]Blazzok[/MENTION]
    I have a 1920x1080 monitor, and intend to keep it until it stops working, so 1080p is where it's at. I'm not too cut up about the idea of it not being practical to run recent details using the highest available graphics settings. While I may sometimes install high resolution texture packs, I don't usually use antialiasing: jaggies or seeing games rendered down to the most minute detail don't faze me when I have been sucked into the world of an RPG-and disabling it leads to smoother gameplay. When I do crank up visual fidelity is when I think an older game could benefit from it, and I have less reason to worry about performance hits.

I don't envisage getting a GTX 970 regardless of how good it may be. While I may allow myself R200-R300 latitude on items, I shall not be stretching my budget to Mr Fantastic-like proportions. I am aiming for a total spend of between R5000 and R6000, so buying a 970 will leave me little room for anything else.

I am avoiding the 280X/380 because [if I understand what I have read correctly] it uses much more power than the GTX 960. If I am wrong about this, it would not be the first time.

I'm not overly concerned about DirectX 12 yet: perhaps when the majority of games use it I shall be.
    Last edited by phoenix; 10-09-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: extras
    =|This space for rent|=